[SOLVED] System shuts off when CPU is powered

Jan 27, 2021
Hey all,
A few days ago my system shut off sometime during the day. Been running the same setup for about 3-4 months now, with no new changes since then.

I’ve already unplugged everything one by one. And everything “functions” fine until the CPU 12v is plugged in. Then the system immediately shuts off. I was hoping this was a PSU issue so just replaced it. Unfortunately it was not the PSU as it’s the same issue.
The system will remain powered if the CPU 12v is not plugged in.
Now I’m hoping it’s just another issue I can resolve without replacing the mobo. I’ve looked around and there have been people with the same issue which they resolved by replacing the PSU so that didn’t help.
Anyone have any ideas on what to try next before trying a completely new Mobo?

System Specs:
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P Rev 1.0
GPU - MSI Radeon RX 570
CPU - AMD FX-8300 Vishera 8 Core 3.3ghz
PSU - (old) Corsair GS700 700w (new) Thermaltake Smart Series 700w
RAM - Gskill Ripjaws X series 8GB x3 (slots 1,2 and 3) and 1 HyperX Fury 8GB (slot 4)
HDD - 1TB Seagate
SSD - 500GB WD

Again, everything stays powered until the CPU 12v is plugged into the Mobo. Already replaced the PSU. If it’s plugged in, the computer turns on for about 2 seconds and immediately shuts off.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks!!

Last edited:
Solution
that seems to be what I’m hearing all over. I’ve searched for my specific problem and 8/10 are on gigabyte mobos. The VRM seems to just fry for some reason. I haven’t even overclocked the CPU yet and it went.

I put the cpu and everything else back on the old Mobo and it seems to be working fine so it def was board that went bad.
I just bought the board below as a replacement. Any concerns you have with this board or potentially the same problem?
https://www.newegg.com/asus-m5a97-r2-0/p/N82E16813131873
That's much better MB. It also uses real UEFI unlike Gigabyte. You might have to reinstall windows.
Hey all,
A few days ago my system shut off sometime during the day. Been running the same setup for about 3-4 months now, with no new changes since then.

I’ve already unplugged everything one by one. And everything “functions” fine until the CPU 12v is plugged in. Then the system immediately shuts off. I was hoping this was a PSU issue so just replaced it. Unfortunately it was not the PSU as it’s the same issue.
The system will remain powered if the CPU 12v is not plugged in.
Now I’m hoping it’s just another issue I can resolve without replacing the mobo. I’ve looked around and there have been people with the same issue which they resolved by replacing the PSU so that didn’t help.
Anyone have any ideas on what to try next before trying a completely new Mobo?

System Specs:
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P Rev 1.0
GPU - MSI Radeon RX 570
CPU - AMD FX-8300 Vishera 8 Core 3.3ghz
PSU - (old) Corsair GS700 700w (new) Thermaltake Smart Series 700w
RAM - Gskill Ripjaws X series 8GB x3 (slots 1,2 and 3) and 1 HyperX Fury 8GB (slot 4)
HDD - 1TB Seagate
SSD - 500GB WD

Again, everything stays powered until the CPU 12v is plugged into the Mobo. Already replaced the PSU. If it’s plugged in, the computer turns on for about 2 seconds and immediately shuts off.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks!!
Sorry but those symptoms are a sign that VRM is gone bad.

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
Have you updated bios F5 (Modified voltage option of NB & DRAM compatibility) mentioned on gigabyte website.
Have you tried to overclock your cpu due to that may be vrm are not working.
Or its old now so motherboard not properly working try on another board if your friends have am3+ boards.

Jan 27, 2021
Have you updated bios F5 (Modified voltage option of NB & DRAM compatibility) mentioned on gigabyte website.
Have you tried to overclock your cpu due to that may be vrm are not working.
Or its old now so motherboard not properly working try on another board if your friends have am3+ boards.

I have not. Can I do this without the CPU plugged in? Also, no I have not overclocked the CPU.

Edit: I have the old Mobo I replaced this one with. But man that’s a lot of work swapping literally everything! But.... guess I’ll give it a shot tonight and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
No cpu should be working and you can enter your bios then update it with usb having bios firmware then qflash it in bios.
May be motherboard not working or cpu try other board or upgrade to new build amd intel whichever you like.
If you have a computer repair shop nearby your area you can consult with them for repairs.

That MB (like all other with D3P boards by Gigabyte) have a very weak VRM , Digital but with doubled chips, essentially only 4+1, not really good for 8core chips. That's their Achilles heel. Good ones are UD3, 5 and 7.
Same goes for Ga-990 chipset MBs.
I have already burned VRM on a Gigabyte GA 790 xt-USB3 MB by overclocking FX 6350 which takes less power than FX 83xx. My GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 1.1) still works strong with FX 6350 at 4.9GHz. At some time I even got an FX 8350 up to 5GHz on it albeit not for long time.

Jan 27, 2021
That MB (like all other with D3P boards by Gigabyte) have a very weak VRM , Digital but with doubled chips, essentially only 4+1, not really good for 8core chips. That's their Achilles heel. Good ones are UD3, 5 and 7.
Same goes for Ga-990 chipset MBs.
I have already burned VRM on a Gigabyte GA 790 xt-USB3 MB by overclocking FX 6350 which takes less power than FX 83xx. My GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 1.1) still works strong with FX 6350 at 4.9GHz. At some time I even got an FX 8350 up to 5GHz on it albeit not for long time.

that seems to be what I’m hearing all over. I’ve searched for my specific problem and 8/10 are on gigabyte mobos. The VRM seems to just fry for some reason. I haven’t even overclocked the CPU yet and it went.

I put the cpu and everything else back on the old Mobo and it seems to be working fine so it def was board that went bad.
I just bought the board below as a replacement. Any concerns you have with this board or potentially the same problem?

That's much better MB. It also uses real UEFI unlike Gigabyte. You might have to reinstall windows.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS