OK, First here are my Pc specs

ASUS MAXIMUS CODE VIII
INTEL i7 7700K
EVGA GTX1080ti SC Black edition
16gigs of gskill trident ram 3000mhz
960EVO ssd m.2
EVGA Super nova G2 1000watt PSU
Corsair H100v2 CPU COOLER

Here is my issue. I upgraded my GPU from a 770gtx to a 1080gtx. When i did this my computer would do a hard shutdown with no reboot when gaming for about 5-10 minutes. At this time i had a 850watt corsair AX psu. Temps were all accepted with a GPU at 65C and CPU at 55-60C under load while gaming on GTAV, with league of legends they ran cooler

I figured it was my PSU causing the shut downs, so i purchased the EVGA supernova G2 1000watt psu. Hoping this would fix the issue, i started playing the games again. To my luck it shut down again after about 5-10 minutes of gaming.

So i ran MSI Kombo and Prime 95 at the same time for over a hour, CPU TEMPS never went over 65C and GPU temps never exceeded 75C., The system never shut down. After the test i started a game. Sure enough 5-10 minutes in it shut down.

So i returned the 1080gtx and put my 770gtx back in the system. Oddly enough i never experienced and shut downs with this card. I was able to go back to gaming with no issues. So i came to the conclusion that is was for sure the GTX1080 causing the shut downs. I went ahead and upgraded to a GTX1080ti. For about a week i waited for this card to show up, during that time i gamed with no issues while using the 770GTX

The card arrived today, i installed the latest drivers via Nvidias web site. ran Kmobo to test it out, all was good. Stated gaming and it DID IT AGAIN! At 5 minutes and 24 secs it shut down. My temps were good to go at 68C and CPU was at 54C. I tried not using my surge protector and plugged it into the wall directly thinking that this may be the issue, it still shut down.

IM SO DAMN Confused on what could be causing this. I mean my CPU, RAM, MOBO, PSU SSD are all the same when i run the 770gtx so it cant be them right?

Could it be the motherboard isnt handling the card power correctly? when i review the EVENT log in windows i get this information

***Critical 5/2/2017 12:19:56 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)****

Every time it died my temps were hovering 65C GPU and about 55C CPU.

Im so puzzled because i would think that if there was a issues with the components that it would do this with the 770gtx as well

Also, keep in mind that i also tried using older versions of the GPU drivers and it still failed. Doing basic task like watching movies, and browsing the web work perfectly fine. Only when i game do i get the issue

Right now, the only thing i can think of is its my Motherboard not performing correctly, and shutting itself down.

PSSSS,. When it shuts down, i do not have to unplug the PSU, and the RGB lights on the motherboard stay on,.. Its like a shut down when you hold the power button down

Please help

Thank you

ryan_314

Prominent
May 2, 2017
sigh... made it to 7min and 24sec before it shut down. In fact i had to revisit this post because during me typing my response it shut down again. Could it be that the motherboard is having issues with the newer cards? i have the latest bios installed as well. Im honestly about toi hit the return button on the motherboard

ryan_314

Prominent
May 2, 2017
Also i have 1 more theory, could it be the bios aren't wanting to work with this card? could this issue be resolved by possibly reverting back to older bios? I ran both my PSU's on a PSU tester and they check out fine

ryan_314

Prominent
May 2, 2017
thank you for your response.. I tried all drivers available to this card with no luck

ryan_314

Prominent
May 2, 2017
I even did a clean windows install to see if that would fix it. Also changed my power options over to performance, tried different outlets in the house as well

ryan_314

Prominent
May 2, 2017

onyl other game i have tried is League of legends, and it crashes as well, ill give tomb raider and BF!1 a try

ryan_314

Prominent
May 2, 2017

Just tried BF1 with it and it crashed. any other thoughts?

ryan_314

Prominent
May 2, 2017

Thank you for all your help, i appreciate the time you took

ryan_314

Prominent
May 2, 2017

So i tried reverting back to a earlier bios on the mother board. That didn't work. I finally took out the i7 7700k processor. and swapped it with my i5 6600k,. So far that seems to have done the trick. Been gaming for about 40 minutes so far with no issues. If you remember i wasn't able to run a game longer then 10 minutes on the i7 7700k/

So info to take note of. When i was running my i7 i was getting a average of 65-68C under-load playing GTAV

With my i5 im only getting a average of 45-50C while playing the game. Do you think this may have had something to do with the shut downs?

If it did, i thought that 65-68C was safe zone for a i7...

Any insight is greatly appreciated