Question System sluggish and slow after upgrade to Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB. What is going on?

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
So, I upgraded my OS drive from a Samsung Evo 850 (250GB) to a Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB. My system was very fast before, now it is sluggish and slow as if I were using an old disk drive.
Before this upgrade, my system would start up in about 20 seconds form the time I pushed the power button. Now it takes a couple of minutes. Programs load extremely slow like I was using an old disk drive. Sometimes the whole system slows down to where even moving the mouse the cursor hops across the screen like it is getting stuck and then jumps. It even takes more than a minute to shut the system off. A restart might take four to five minutes.

What could be the issue?

SYSTEM SPECS:

• Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit
  • Antivirus Software
    Norton 360
  • Firewall
    Norton
  • Computer
    Custom Build
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C02)
  • Ram
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB
  • Video Card
    Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB
  • Soundcard
    Realtek (Onboard)
  • Power Supply
    EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ Gold 850W
  • Case
    Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower

So, I upgraded my OS drive from a Samsung Evo 850 (250GB) to a Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB. My system was very fast before, now it is sluggish and slow as if I were using an old disk drive.
Before this upgrade, my system would start up in about 20 seconds form the time I pushed the power button. Now it takes a couple of minutes. Programs load extremely slow like I was using an old disk drive. Sometimes the whole system slows down to where even moving the mouse the cursor hops across the screen like it is getting stuck and then jumps. It even takes more than a minute to shut the system off. A restart might take four to five minutes.

What could be the issue?

SYSTEM SPECS:

• Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit
  • Antivirus Software
    Norton 360
  • Firewall
    Norton
  • Computer
    Custom Build
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B450 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C02)
  • Ram
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB
  • Video Card
    Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB
  • Soundcard
    Realtek (Onboard)
  • Power Supply
    EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ Gold 850W
  • Case
    Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower
Did you do clean Windows install or was it cloned from some old drive ?

jungleexplorer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Did you do clean Windows install or was it cloned from some old drive?

Clean Install from a freshly downloaded copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft. Had a lot of trouble initially because the system refused to see the M.2 drive a boot drive. I had my old SSD on the system as an alternate boot drive (until I was fully migrated over to the new drive), and the system INSISTED that it was the boot drive even after I had adjusted it in the BIOS to the M.2 drive. Something happened after about a week and the installation on the M.2 drive became completely corrupt and I had to do a brand new windows install. This time I removed all other drives from the system and all other USB devices except for the mouse and keyboard. The install went great and after Windows was fully set up and updated, I slowed added back my other drives, but never added my old SSD boot drive.

But from day one, the system has been very slow. Even when there was only the M.2 drive with just Windows installed, the system took for ever to reach the windows login screen. It is like the MB does not want to boot from the M.2 port and searches everywhere else trying to find a different boot drive. I have upgraded the Bios to the latest and done everything possible to tell it what drive to boot from.

Another thing is that, my MB has 6 SATA ports, but installing the M.2 drive knocked out SATA ports 5 and 6. This called me a world of headache until I found other people with this problem and it seems to be normal. I would never spent the money of this M.2 drive had I know what a freaking headache they are and that I would have to sacrifice two SATA ports. I guess if I would have gotten the speed boost, it might have been worth it, but right now I am ready to rib it out and take a hammer to it.

Last edited: