Question System sometimes simply switches off

robertowen1971

Reputable
Sep 1, 2019
My system on the odd occasion simply switches off, no blue screen, just switches off. This only happens when i play a game, sometimes the game is fine and i can go through without an issue, then another time, it shuts down, then another time, it seems to play nicely. i have checked all cables, temps seem fine, no malware, hardware upgraded last year and not sure what else. PSU seems to be the only thing that i know is old, but has served me a long time. it's a thermaltake 530w. if i were to upgrade psu, should i go for a 600w or 700w? could it be the power, or because it is simply very old? thank you

Here are my system specs;
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2
Ryzen 5 5600X
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz
Thermaltake 530W PSU
Dell S2721HGF Monitor
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Sig space specs can and will change over time, when that happens this thread and any relevant suggestions will end up being moot to the end user in the same boat as you're in now. It's with this in mind that we ask users to include their specs in the thread's body. I've shoehorned your sig space specs into your thread.

Thermaltake 530W PSU

Thermaltake is the brand of the PSU, while 530W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit? Wattage isn't the only thing you look at when purchasing a PSU, you look at a reliably built unit, one that will be able to last a long while and be your money's worth.

This only happens when i play a game,
Usually a system will shut off without notice for one of two reasons;
1| your PSU is incapable of powering the entire system when taxed
or
2| your system is suffering from an overheating issue.