System started running slow after new psu

flamingpo0p

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
So basically i added a new psu so I could run 2 video cards for 2 monitors at once. they do not match so I cant sli them. The current video card is a 8800gt and the one I was adding was a 6800gs. I ended up taking out the 6800gs because I was getting tabbed out of games, going to a black screen, then in a few minutes getting back into the game. I was also seeing a lot of performance issues... long load times, windows taking forever to load up etc. how can I fix this? will I be able to use the 2 different cards for 2 different monitors?

My setup:
Dual Core 3.0GHZ
4GB ram
Geforce 8800gt
700w PSU

flamingpo0p

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
It is an OCZ Gamexstream. Everything is taking forever to load up.. or not loading up at all. I'm using windows 7 if thats any help. I'm wondering if maybe I ruined something while doing the change over.

The 8800GT should have no problem running 2 monitors by itself. Odds are that the conflicting drivers caused some issues, uninstall all traces of any nVidia drivers, run a driver sweeper program and then reinstall the drivers.

Check how many programs are running first, it sounds like the system is just running out of memory.
Also check what is on the desktop, you should only have icons and shortcuts on it, any file folders placed there will, if I remember correctly, have their contents loaded into memory during boot up.

flamingpo0p

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I have only a few programs running, my meters on my g19 keyboard are barely moving for both cpu's and the ram. Right now I'm just waiting on some problem reporting from windows 7 then I will see if the drivers were the issue.

flamingpo0p

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
So far the driver fix really helped. Everything is loading really quick and atm I haven't been tabbed out or anything. Soon I will try the dual monitors, but for now I will stick with 1 and see how it works out. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it, just too bad i bought a new psu for no reason lol.