System starts, stops, then starts again.

Robert_127

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Hi All,

On waking my PC from sleep, it starts (lights up, fans spin), then stops. Around 10 seconds later, it will start again & will be fine from then on.

This happens every time I boot the PC from sleep.

I assume it's not off completely, as it starts with programs still open etc, as if it was asleep.

Mobo: GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF
CPU - FX-8300 @ 4GHZ (With aftermarket cooler, cannot remember what it is specifically)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600mhz
GPU: 8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 480 NITRO+ OC
PSU: Corsair RM850x
SSD: 960GB SD Ultra II - Added this since my initial post, thinking it may be the old HDD, which has been making an odd grinding noise latel - Note, no change in the start stop issue.
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm

Thank you for any advice

Jwpanz

Honorable
Open command prompt and perform a "chkdsk" command. See if anything come back that needs fixing. If so, run a "chkdsk /f" to try and fix the issue. If that doesn't work then there's two things it may be. Either Windows needs to be reinstalled or you have a bad PSU.

Robert_127

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

I've just ran chkdsk - Returned no problems.

I reinstalled Windows to new SSD - which was bought after the issue began - Sunday - Issue began early last week - Though is it possible old HDD being still connected could be an issue?

So Based on what you say, I'm left with PSU - PSU is around 2 months old, upgraded from 450w. Was okay to begin with, but I'm assuming that problems occur at any point?

It's not the biggest issue in the world, I'm just concerned eventually something will short from the initial influx of power.