Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Hi guys
Rig:
Geforce RTX 2070 Z gaming
i5-8400 @2.8GHz
16 GB ram
650 Watt power supply
Why is it that I can't even run Bf5 with RTX off on ultra or high without getting frames below 60?
Using the optimal geforce experience configuration puts my frames at 50 for a lot of scenarios in-game.
Same goes for vermintide 2, frames jump around like super mario below 60 and I just want to know what
is going on?

Kind Regards
Deathbug

Solution
Yeah I tried playing MP but even with all settings high it can't handle and plays below 60 fps during fight scenes :O. That just doesn't make sense to me, I have seen that my cpu runs at 100% while the gpu runs at a high of 65%.

I will try the tests, I know my psu is like 6 years old 650Watt. So that might be the problem for in game freeze?

Ouch, yeah, I'd be swapping that PSU out asap. Even if it was a good model, after 6 years it will not perform as it should (unless high end). It could cause game freezes. If the PSU can't provide the power for your system, something has to give. Normally a PSU issue will result from a full system/gaming load. It's not normally game freezing, but that can occur. PSU issues are normally...
Well, for a start I'd remove Geforce Experience. It's a horrible piece of software that often cripple games performance even with decent specs.

Are you playing at 1080p 60hz res? Have you changed any global settings in the Nvidia control panel. Vsync, Adaptive or anything like that?

Re-install the driver, do a clean install try again.

Deathbug

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Well, for a start I'd remove Geforce Experience. It's a horrible piece of software that often cripple games performance even with decent specs.

Are you playing at 1080p 60hz res? Have you changed any global settings in the Nvidia control panel. Vsync, Adaptive or anything like that?

Re-install the driver, do a clean install try again.

From where can I install my drivers other than geforce experience that won't be as bad?
Yes 1080p 60hz, I never touch the nvidia control panel, too scared that I might mess up.
Regards
Deathbug

Deathbug

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Just download the driver directly here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

When you download it, do a custom install/clean install tick box, and unselect the installation of Geforce Experience.

Let us know if it helps.
Good Evening Keith12

I did as you directed, unfortunately the problem is still there. I have even tried playing with the DXR off and well according to game requirements for ultra settings I definitely meet them or so I think. So I really have no idea why this is happening but I appreciate your help.

Regards
Deathbug

Deathbug

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
That is odd. You can expect drops in Multi, not so much single player. You running in DX12 or 11? Try switching and see if it helps.
Hey Keith12

I turned off the DX12(which also means the DXR is definitely right?). Single player is now on a stable 90-110 fps which is great thanks. Still going to test the MP. Does this mean that my gpu is just shit since it can't even run good frames on DXR medium and below?

I also remembered something strange. Everytime I start up my pc and I start gaming, at least once everytime from that startup my pc freezes in game on any game. It happened in cs:go, doom, bf5 as well as dota. Just wondering if maybe you have any insight on what that is?

Kind Regards
Deathbug

Yeah DXR will butcher the FPS. This is a known issue with RTX cards. They suffer with huge drops in FPS perforamnce when the goodness is turned up. It's really about finding a balance with what you are happy with. FOr me playing something like BF V, i'd be hooting for max FPS, as opposed to seeing the RT/DXR effects that won't really come into gameplay. It just looks nice. For some reason Nvidia Cards don't perform as well as AMD cards for DX12. Specially for BF 1/V. So alot of folks who wanna game with best FPS will just run it in DX11. I too like the fancy bells and whistles, but keep it in DX11 unless I specifically want to see the shiny goodness.

That GPU is top IMO. It's right on the mix of being way to expensive but just good enough to justify the cost. I'm well jealous ;)

On the other games, and random crashes. Have you OC@ed memory? What is your exact PSU? Test mem with memtest86+, run it for 4 passes, and that will tell you it's stable and rule it out. If your PSU is a poor model, or older than 3 years, it's always worth upgrading. It could also cause random crashes, like the mem could.

Deathbug

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Yeah DXR will butcher the FPS. This is a known issue with RTX cards. They suffer with huge drops in FPS perforamnce when the goodness is turned up. It's really about finding a balance with what you are happy with. FOr me playing something like BF V, i'd be hooting for max FPS, as opposed to seeing the RT/DXR effects that won't really come into gameplay. It just looks nice. For some reason Nvidia Cards don't perform as well as AMD cards for DX12. Specially for BF 1/V. So alot of folks who wanna game with best FPS will just run it in DX11. I too like the fancy bells and whistles, but keep it in DX11 unless I specifically want to see the shiny goodness.

That GPU is top IMO. It's right on the mix of being way to expensive but just good enough to justify the cost. I'm well jealous ;)

On the other games, and random crashes. Have you OC@ed memory? What is your exact PSU? Test mem with memtest86+, run it for 4 passes, and that will tell you it's stable and rule it out. If your PSU is a poor model, or older than 3 years, it's always worth upgrading. It could also cause random crashes, like the mem could.
Yeah I tried playing MP but even with all settings high it can't handle and plays below 60 fps during fight scenes :O. That just doesn't make sense to me, I have seen that my cpu runs at 100% while the gpu runs at a high of 65%.

I will try the tests, I know my psu is like 6 years old 650Watt. So that might be the problem for in game freeze?

Deathbug

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019

If i knew everything you just told me I would have made a better upgrade :(. Next time you are definitely my go to in like 5 years time :D.

Ouch, yeah, I'd be swapping that PSU out asap. Even if it was a good model, after 6 years it will not perform as it should (unless high end). It could cause game freezes. If the PSU can't provide the power for your system, something has to give. Normally a PSU issue will result from a full system/gaming load. It's not normally game freezing, but that can occur. PSU issues are normally shutdown's at load.

On MP. Are you playing in large maps? 32/64 players? They will push your CPU right to the max. The I5 8400 is an awesome CPU, but it also it's limitations. It's not unusual to see a CPU maxed with BF V and the GPU not pushed. You could consider that a bottleneck, but not so much of one. Sticking an I7 8700/k in there would alleviate that issue. Worth considering as an option down the line. An 8700k will push your GPU to max FPS, and would be an awesome gaming combo for 3-4 years down the line.

Yeah, anytime I can be of help, just drop me a PM. Always happy to oblige.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deathbug
Solution

Deathbug

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
Ouch, yeah, I'd be swapping that PSU out asap. Even if it was a good model, after 6 years it will not perform as it should (unless high end). It could cause game freezes. If the PSU can't provide the power for your system, something has to give. Normally a PSU issue will result from a full system/gaming load. It's not normally game freezing, but that can occur. PSU issues are normally shutdown's at load.

On MP. Are you playing in large maps? 32/64 players? They will push your CPU right to the max. The I5 8400 is an awesome CPU, but it also it's limitations. It's not unusual to see a CPU maxed with BF V and the GPU not pushed. You could consider that a bottleneck, but not so much of one. Sticking an I7 8700/k in there would alleviate that issue. Worth considering as an option down the line. An 8700k will push your GPU to max FPS, and would be an awesome gaming combo for 3-4 years down the line.

Yeah, anytime I can be of help, just drop me a PM. Always happy to oblige.
Ok yeah will definitely look into a new psu. Yeah the maps are usually 32 players, I will definitely keep that upgrade in mind but after that rtx card my cash is running low. But in the future when I decide I have enough to upgrade I will definitely ask you for guidance Keith12.

Kind Regards
Deathbug

Ok yeah will definitely look into a new psu. Yeah the maps are usually 32 players, I will definitely keep that upgrade in mind but after that rtx card my cash is running low. But in the future when I decide I have enough to upgrade I will definitely ask you for guidance Keith12.

Kind Regards
Deathbug

Sure thing :)

Be sure to click the little trophy above the post that helps most. This will ensure the thread is closed, and best answer is provided. Plus, i get more scores :) ;)

Latest posts