System stopped working!

foxhound81

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Hi,

I built my sister a system out of some spare parts. All i needed was a mobo and RAM. First I bought an ECS board, it would power up the fans on the board but would not POST, so I returned it and spent a few more extra bucks on an ASUS. The ASUS came in, I did a test fire on it with just the cpu, ram, and video card in it. The green LED came on, but would not power up the fans or POST, so I exchanged it for a new one. When the new one came in I did the same test, and VIOLA! Success!

My sister was very happy, she could now play her SIMS game, which makes me happy. Then tradegy struck. She called me and told me that she tried to turn on her computer today and it would not turn on...

"Great" I thought to myself. So she brought it over for me to look at. I took off the side of the case, plugged in the power cord. The green light came on, on the motherboard signaling it was recieving power. Then I pushed the power on button, and nothing happens. The fans do not power up, it does not POST.

What the heck is going on?? Am I cursed? Is it possible for the board to just stop working like this? Its been running fine for a couple weeks.

Specs:

Asus P4S800D-X
478 P4 1.8 400mhz
512mb PC-2700
Geforce 4 Ti4200

weilin

Distinguished
well i hope you got soem extra time on your hands... this is gonna be fun.. you should first clear cmos and see if that helps.. if it doesnt take your pc apart 1 part at a time and rebuild everything .. and see if that helps.. if not.. its time to find spare parts and see if you can find out which part is actually broken ... sorry man.. your in for it now..

foxhound81

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Yeah, I know this is gonna get ugly.

The powersupply is kinda old, its only a 250watt from an older system. I've got a newer 350 sitting around I'll try swapping that first before I tear it down to the bear essentials.

A former co-worker had some similiar issues, he went through 3 power supplies and 2 mobos and a hard drive and it turned out he moved into an apartment that had "unclean" power (had lots of harmonic distortion) and frequent brownouts / surges so a decent surge protector helped at the outlet and a nice UPS unit w/ AVR capability to plug his pc into solved his power problems forever. Well - so far so good. We tore down his pc dozens of times - input power is always the last suspect.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi,

I built my sister a system out of some spare parts. All i needed was a mobo and RAM. First I bought an ECS board, it would power up the fans on the board but would not POST, so I returned it and spent a few more extra bucks on an ASUS. The ASUS came in, I did a test fire on it with just the cpu, ram, and video card in it. The green LED came on, but would not power up the fans or POST, so I exchanged it for a new one. When the new one came in I did the same test, and VIOLA! Success!

My sister was very happy, she could now play her SIMS game, which makes me happy. Then tradegy struck. She called me and told me that she tried to turn on her computer today and it would not turn on...

"Great" I thought to myself. So she brought it over for me to look at. I took off the side of the case, plugged in the power cord. The green light came on, on the motherboard signaling it was recieving power. Then I pushed the power on button, and nothing happens. The fans do not power up, it does not POST.

What the heck is going on?? Am I cursed? Is it possible for the board to just stop working like this? Its been running fine for a couple weeks.

Specs:

Asus P4S800D-X
478 P4 1.8 400mhz
512mb PC-2700
Geforce 4 Ti4200

Assuming that older powersupply even has it, did you plug in the ATX 12

4-Pin power plug? :?, and if you did, is it in tight?

foxhound81

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Yes, the old PS has a 12v, and yes it is plugged in. As I stated earlier, this was up and running for about 2 weeks straight with no problems, then one day it just decided not to turn on anymore. The one thing that bothers me is that green LED is lit up on the mobo, those with an ASUS board know what i'm talking about.