Question System Stuttering (Fps drops), Looking for some help!

Jul 25, 2019
System Specs

Mobo: msi MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi
CPU: Ryzen 3600x
GPU: Geforce RTX 2070 Super
PSU: Corsair Ax1000
RAM: DDr3 rgb 3600mhz (dram freq: 2133)

Recently over the past 4 or 5 months i've been having trouble with my last computer as it had short circuited and caused sufficient damage to my previous build, Which caused me to rebuild I replaced everything in my build except my RAM and storage at this point. For the most part in all of my games I get some stutter, to further explain this Whenever I start switching my weapons in borderlands 3 I drop instantly 40-50 fps, whenever I go to the box in Black ops zombies I Drop 40-50 fps. In destiny 2 I occasionally got stutter going into a shop menu and/or starting a PVP game.

So heres the current performance of the pc, In hwinfo Cpu cores tend to max out at around 69^C in the most rare of cases but average 52^C with a hyper212 evo black edition, GPU temps never rise above 58^C at least according to MSI afterburner and clock speeds are at max 1995 MHZ most of the time(For some reason they used to cap at 2010 with my prev gpu but doesn't seem to make a difference. The cpu is running on Amd balanced power plan at 4.2 ghz maxed according to Task manager/hwinfo.

Now there are some things that I will point out that i did during the build that scared me slightly, 1. when i was replacing an old cpu cooler i had put the hyper212 evo in and put quite the pressure on it and it felt as though It made a slight creak and some dust lifted, but cpu seems to be working fine. 2. one of the SSDs is missing a part of the connector where the power line goes in which i hadn't noticed until recently. And 3. whenever i'm under load I hear quite the noise from what i believe is my cpu fans going through the aluminum slits on the cpu cooler which is annoying and sometimes I hear a slight thwack which feels like its coming from the ssds(currently 2 in my build). And lastly I notice during these stutters that my cpu will sometimes react with a temp spike up of about +5-10 degrees(which i imagine isn't thermal throttling? as i it only maxes at 69 degrees at the max)

Overall I think It might be the ssd's as they were part of the old hardware which my old pc got short circuited during a power outage. I'm not the most tech savvy when it comes to this stuff but i have tried alot of solutions and updating drivers, bios, defragmentation, system wiping(clean installs), nvidia performance settings, etc. But if anyone has any advice or possible solutions feel free to shoot them at me cause i really want to get this fixed!

Jul 25, 2019
okayyy well I was literally 1 minute in and the temps went to 84^C and clocks started to drop from 4.2 ghz to 4 and i imagine would've gone lower if i allowed it to do so, so i decided to close out on this, as im assuming this means that means that it isn't stable at this current clock speed. a couple of the cores even went down to 3.4 ghz which is unsettling

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
so since this is the case are the fans on my cpu cooler bad? do i need better cooling? TBH i couldn't care for the overclock but i have no idea how to stop it, it just automatically overclocks on its own which is kind of annoying, i'd much prefer stable base clock speeds than anything else but i don't even know where to start when it comes to that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is your bios up to date?
I asked you to run Prime 95 because I suspected the issue could be with your motherboard. 84C is indeed high, but not throttle temp, which is 95C.
But Prime 95 can be a little rough.

Do you have Cpu-Z? Get it, go to the bench tab. At Cpu multithread, check 'Threads', and click on Stress Cpu below. Monitor Clock Speeds again for a few minutes.
This one does not push your cpu as hard, so it should run cooler here, the concern is the core frequency.

Here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7PkZwY9PWM&t=620s

Save for Msi's top dollar X570 boards, their cheaper ones have been not so great on VRM cooling. And if that's overheating, it'll cause your clocks to drop.

Jul 25, 2019
yes, i just recently updated to the most recent bios. man I really wish i did more research then, although i knew they were new technology I just kind of sprang into action buying probably a not so great motherboard for performance, i probably wont get around to cpu-z tonight but Im pretty sure that the cpu clock speeds would likely drop if i tested it unfortunately. If you can just tell me which one to download for cpu-z is it just msi vers? And another question is would setting cpu voltage lower help my performance? voltage right now is around 1.44v which i've heard is high but appearently you can get clock speed stretching on 3000 series chips and for someone who has never fiddled with bios or overclocking its another variable for me but if it helps increase my overall performance im always willing to try.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The latest version. The Msi, ROG, etc, are just different skins for the app.

Changing voltage may actually make things worse. Unlike memory, these cpus don't care much for us tampering with their stock settings, save for Precision Boost Overdrive.

Jul 25, 2019
don't worry about it too much I know its to help see if my cpu clocks are stable but they're obviously not, but i'm glad your helping me out, and i've been thinking maybe I can add some better vrm heatsinks to help prevent throttling which I think will help quite a bit but i want to hear your opinion on this, as i do know a better mobo would likely have better overall results but this could be a good temporary solution possibly?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
https://www.newegg.com/black-white-phanteks-enthoo-pro-m-se-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811854060 this is the case that i have currently and I have the hyper212 facing towards the back exhaust of the case so it's not really doing too much for the vrms since its a bit tall as its a decently big heatsink, barely fit the case. And curious note I'm not sure if this means anyhthing but i remember that i may have lost a screw where the mobo rests against the case and it kinda got stuck, I believe i fiddled with the case quite a bit to try and get it out but that couldn't be causing problems could it? (this is the cooler btw https://www.newegg.com/cooler-maste...v1zKJy_TFLbKX2zejp4aAkH0EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds )

Jul 25, 2019
oh no thats the only way that the heatsink actually fits as far as i know but the back is set up as exhaust i've tested all my fans to make sure they're facing in the correct direction, 4 120mm are exhaust 3 on top 1 on the rear, and 2 140mm set on the front as intake and i've just done the classic put a thin piece of paper in between to make sure all the fans are facing correctly and good to know that, next time ill be more careful but im sure that i likely got it out

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That might not do much for the VRMs, but it would benefit the cpu cooler.

Another option is to take the top-rear fan out and flip the top-front and top-middle fans as intake... but then you would need to put a filter over it(exhaust fans don't require filters).
You'd have air blowing directy over them in this case. You'd have to test and see if it's enough.

Jul 25, 2019
Alright awesome I think it might be worth a shot ill try out the w exhaust and the 2 intake first just to see how it goes and then ill try to adjust the intake fans to run faster i might even try just the rear fan just to see how it goes, but ill think about the top 2 fans as intake id just be worried that with how heat rises it may create warm pockets of air, if that doesnt work out ill even look at some fans to cool vrms, btw would this explain why my gpu gets a slight bottleneck as the temperature gets hotter itll slowly drop the gpu clock at around 15-20 mhz at certain threshholds

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The heat rises thing? That only matters if you're passively cooling your hardware. Once you add fans, it's nothing more than hearsay.
Fans > passive cooling.

Same thing with the whole positive/negative pressure crap too, but you'd need a vacuum sealed case for that to really matter.
Dust is going to get in the PC regardless, people just need to clean it every once in awhile, instead of going over a year for something to go wrong, because dust is clogging their hardware.

I've got a bunch of Noctua fans and have played around with numerous configurations, and those are the conclusions from my experiments.

Jul 25, 2019
Thats completely understandable i honestly need to get some more compressed air cans as my 2nd can has run out, but with that in mind ill definitely consider it if it can help cool the vrms im all for it and dang i never thought how important vrms cpuld actually be they're just as important as the cpu practically im not sure if this will be enough to cool the vrms per say but i know that this will at the very least help and ive got quite a few noctua fans myself so i can def play with all these configurations but man now that i know more about this i wish manufacterers would care a little more about vrms cause they're just as important as the cpu

Jul 25, 2019
As stated above I had tried that solution, unfortunately it did not seem to make a difference overall to my problem, my cpu temps were however a little better than average. With that in mine however above are some of my readings(after) playing bl3 nothing too out of the ordinary to me personally and on task manager I wasn't reading any clock speed drops and for the most part the game is very playable besides the random occurence of a frame stutter that often occurs when im switching to a bigger weapon or enter another random area. And If i should play on a different game i will as playing on a new game that isn't well optimized atm isn't as readable but please let me know if you see something fishy in these results View: https://imgur.com/a/f0kGbKM

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Running the memory doesn't help cpu performance. Enable XMP.
Ryzen is more sensitive to memory speeds and the 3600 XMP profile should help during cpu intensive scenarios.

There's this NUC126(some sort of micro-controller) I'm not familiar with. I don't know if those temps are normal for it or not - I guess it's fine, otherwise HWINFO would've had it highlighted in red.

I'm not seeing anything else out of the ordinary.

Jul 25, 2019
Running the memory doesn't help cpu performance. Enable XMP.
Ryzen is more sensitive to memory speeds and the 3600 XMP profile should help during cpu intensive scenarios.

There's this NUC126(some sort of micro-controller) I'm not familiar with. I don't know if those temps are normal for it or not - I guess it's fine, otherwise HWINFO would've had it highlighted in red.

I'm not seeing anything else out of the ordinary.
Going to go ahead and do that now, and see how well it works, just recently added malwarebytes/malwareadware to see if that was causing some issues it does seem to have helped some, ill try enabling xmp and see how that works out