[SOLVED] System Stuttering Since Update to Windows 1809

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
So I got extremely agitated when May Update was near its launch and my PCs were still on 1803. I updated my desktop to 1809 through the upgrade assistant. Since then a strange issue has manifested which causes my PC to stutter during bouts of heavy internet or HDD usage. Stuttering meaning that the mouse, keyboard and audio starts to lag intermittently.

I have updated all the drivers and related stuff. My WiFi adapter and Audio Card is on USB.

I got IRQ vibes from this so I tried to swap USB ports for the devices attached and with some trial and error I narrowed it to WiFi and audio devices. So strangely enough, the problem disappears till the next cold start, if I just remove and reattach those two.

Specs:
i5 6600
Gigabyte B150M
16GB RAM
Nvidia 1060 3GB
ASUS Xonar U7 (USB)
256GB Transcend SSD SATA
3TB Seagate SATA
ASUS WiFi (USB)
Gigabyte G300s (USB)
Corsair Raptor K30 (USB)

Please help me to figure this out ans save me from this ritual every morning. Thanks!

Solution
Fixed! HAHAHAHA

It was the wireless adapter (ASUS USB N66)... Changed it and voila! Everything has returned to normal! All full red bars gone from LatencyMon (Thanks @Mandark for getting me to discover this awesome tool)

Perhaps windows does not like it anymore, even though the driver was only a couple of months old...
Latest build version is 1903. I'd recommend upgrading again to the latest version which fixes many previous issues, or doing a clean install using the most current version which would actually be the much better option.

You will also want to make sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed as well as all the latest drivers including the most recent Intel chipset drivers found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...ce-Software-INF-Update-Utility-?product=90592

Build 1903 and media creation tool can be accessed here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Clean install can be done as follows:

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Latest build version is 1903. I'd recommend upgrading again to the latest version which fixes many previous issues, or doing a clean install using the most current version which would actually be the much better option.

You will also want to make sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed as well as all the latest drivers including the most recent Intel chipset drivers found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...ce-Software-INF-Update-Utility-?product=90592

Build 1903 and media creation tool can be accessed here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Clean install can be done as follows:

Thanks for the suggestions. Though they do not seem to be viable to me.

As I told you, I have everything, all drivers, software etc, updated to the latest. As for updating to the infant 1903 is practically suicide, who knows how many land mines have and will be discovered and patched in the coming months. There was some reason that Microsoft itself didn't upgrade my PC to even 1809 until I forced their hand. I won't be doing that anymore, going to stick with their good judgement.

Clean install is another misfired suggestion which may suite usual people that don't really customize anything. Too many a software I have configured to my liking over years of usage, many settings I don't even remember. Most don't even have settings backup feature. Considering this PC has not been formatted since wee old days of windows 8.1, same as my other computer which is fortunately working fine with 1809.

Thanks for the suggestions. Though they do not seem to be viable to me.

As I told you, I have everything, all drivers, software etc, updated to the latest. As for updating to the infant 1903 is practically suicide, who knows how many land mines have and will be discovered and patched in the coming months. There was some reason that Microsoft itself didn't upgrade my PC to even 1809 until I forced their hand. I won't be doing that anymore, going to stick with their good judgement.

Clean install is another misfired suggestion which may suite usual people that don't really customize anything. Too many a software I have configured to my liking over years of usage, many settings I don't even remember. Most don't even have settings backup feature. Considering this PC has not been formatted since wee old days of windows 8.1, same as my other computer which is fortunately working fine with 1809.
1809 presented a lot of problems for many people. Especially stuttering and bad performance in games.
The advice above is the best you can get, Win10 is hit or miss with updates working properly.
Upgrades sometimes work and sometimes don't. A fresh install is ALWAYS BETTER.
Your choice?

I've been running Windows 10 build 1903 on five systems, since day one of it's public release, with games and demanding professional applications as well as a great deal of watching video and browser usage, and have not experienced ANY of the problems I was having previously with build version 1809.

If you don't want, or are afraid, to implement the steps required or at least suggested as probably able to fix your issue, I'm not sure why you bothered to post in the first place. Obviously it's your call, but to me it's like taking your car to a shop for a misfire and then finding out there is likely a bad coil, but you don't to replace it because you don't agree that the coil is bad even though the technician says it is and it is a known early failure point on that vehicle.

Either way, best of luck to you.

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I've been running Windows 10 build 1903 on five systems, since day one of it's public release, with games and demanding professional applications as well as a great deal of watching video and browser usage, and have not experienced ANY of the problems I was having previously with build version 1809.

If you don't want, or are afraid, to implement the steps required or at least suggested as probably able to fix your issue, I'm not sure why you bothered to post in the first place. Obviously it's your call, but to me it's like taking your car to a shop for a misfire and then finding out there is likely a bad coil, but you don't to replace it because you don't agree that the coil is bad even though the technician says it is and it is a known early failure point on that vehicle.

Either way, best of luck to you.

I had hoped that there could be some other fix like a BIOS setting, some group policy or registry edits to circumvent or perhaps fix the issue. Not every time a fix has to be something this risky. Even if you have not found a fix, there could be someone who has. With such hope I came here.

Fine I will try upgrading. Your five systems are working, perhaps mine will too.

I agree with you. When there is a chance something else will work it is often worth trying to find that solution first. Normally. These days however, in the days of Windows breaks everything until it's been out for a while (Meaning the hardware, not the Windows build), it's usually almost faster to simply do a clean install than to spend a good amount of time hunting down the problem but with the caveat that in some cases there are still issues and you end up having to hunt down the issue anyhow.

I really can't argue that one solution is any better than another, or more likely to resolve your issue, but I do know that a lot of systems had similar issues and some pretty much unresolvable driver problems on build 1809 and the previous spring update as well.

I have 2 systems on 10.
A newish laptop(Dell G5 8750u 16gig 1050ti)) and an I5 2400 8gig ram Asus 1070.
The laptop did fine with the upgrade. The I5 tanked Stuttering , unresponsive, slow to open programs etc.... Luckily it was on pro, so I reinstalled and delayed the upgrade again until it was fixed with the new update. It mostly folds so performance it critical
Many of us give advice on knowledge and Experiences with our own equipment.
Dread the EOL of 7, will have to update to 8 or 10 on the other 3 systems then. Good By to assured stability when forced to switch to 10.

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I have 2 systems on 10.
A newish laptop(Dell G5 8750u 16gig 1050ti)) and an I5 2400 8gig ram Asus 1070.
The laptop did fine with the upgrade. The I5 tanked Stuttering , unresponsive, slow to open programs etc.... Luckily it was on pro, so I reinstalled and delayed the upgrade again until it was fixed with the new update. It mostly folds so performance it critical
Many of us give advice on knowledge and Experiences with our own equipment.
Dread the EOL of 7, will have to update to 8 or 10 on the other 3 systems then. Good By to assured stability when forced to switch to 10.

I also got pro on both the computers. Evidently, I thought wrong that they would have fixed the botched 1809 by now and deleted the "go back" files...

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Stuttering is still there after the update. Though its a little less infuriating than before.
While working in windows it occurs every ~30 minutes for about a couple of seconds. While doing an intensive task, it can occur consistently.
The freeze period has been reduced significantly but similary the frequency has increased. Previously it was like 5-6 long freezes spread over 5-10 seconds, now there are many every second.

So, AFTER doing the update to the latest version of Windows, you THEN would be wise to reinstall the latest chipset, audio and network adapter drivers found on your motherboard's product page.

Doing a clean install of your graphics drivers using the DDU wouldn't hurt either. These are all pretty much standard protocols with problems like these. Also, if you don't have the latest motherboard BIOS version I would recommend updating to any non-BETA release that is newer than what you have now.

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I always keep everything updated, that's how this system has lasted many motherboard changes. State of things after reinstalling Nvidia (after DDU) and chipset drivers:
  • Stuttering has been eliminated in games and my programming IDEs.
  • Windows explorer now randomly has difficulty showing thumbnails in a folder with many items (100+), taking over a minute at times to even show template icons. While other times, folders with 1000s of items work fine.
  • The stuttering now almost always happens in 1080p+ video playback, at least once per file.
  • I have seen system process sometimes show high cpu usage (20-100%) for something when the stuttering occurs. I haven't been able to track down the thread yet as when I get to the thread table in procexp, it goes away. Other times it shows consistent 4-8% usage for the WiFi driver at all times but perhaps that's because I am always downloading something.

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
It is tied to the windows own wireless driver, system process goes into fervent cpu usage for it, when some other process gets in line for the HDD... If I stop downloading, stuttering disappears.

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
use LatencyMon to find the offending driver causing the latecy.

Hi, how to interpret the results?

_
CONCLUSION
_
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:00:54 (h🇲🇲ss) on all processors.

_
SYSTEM INFORMATION
_
Computer name: UMAIR-PC
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, version 1903, build: 18362 (x64)
Hardware: B150M-D3H, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., B150M-D3H-CF
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16331 MB total

_
CPU SPEED
_
Reported CPU speed: 3312 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

_
MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
_
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 6197.0
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 7.381432

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 6192.70
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 3.387668

_
REPORTED ISRs
_
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 150.211957
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.248344
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.295731

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 158205
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

_
REPORTED DPCs
_
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 752.503623
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 1.037882
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 1.506636

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 371403
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 24
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

_
REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
_
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: biglybt.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 1449
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 1427
Number of processes hit: 4

_
PER CPU DATA
_
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 4.443798
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 78.292271
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0.117606
CPU 0 ISR count: 125338
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 752.503623
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 2.792762
CPU 0 DPC count: 296114
_
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 3.075396
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 150.211957
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.521352
CPU 1 ISR count: 32867
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 268.902174
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.436202
CPU 1 DPC count: 71095
_
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.063121
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 98.028382
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.011566
CPU 2 DPC count: 1915
_
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.225150
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 150.797101
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.014708
CPU 3 DPC count: 2303
_

D

Deleted member 14196

when you run the main tab by clicking on the Run button, it shows a set of bars and the latencies, the drivers causing issue are listed on that main tab. post a pic

from your data, your bit torrent thingy is causing all the issues. also, you may not have the right graphics drivers you need according to your results so far posted.

if it were me, I would back up my data and nuke the system with a Clean install, then install your gpu and motherboard chipset drivers if necessary.

disable the torrent and I bet lots of problems go away, potentially legal problems no doubt. you are causing the network driver high latencies with that especially which affect online video playback.

"WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature. "

you should read the report you posted, lol, thermal issues possible! dude, it's all there, go read it and try to troubleshoot.

Last edited by a moderator:

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I always run my system without any power management and all throttling disabled. I have a water cooled system. Temps never exceed 50C on the CPU.

I have no legal issues in my country about any torrenting cuz even government and police runs on pirated software. Also this stuttering was created out of upgrading windows, its not the client at fault. Bittorrent clients producing hard faults is a given as its downloading files in very small pieces at a very high frequency.

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Fixed! HAHAHAHA

It was the wireless adapter (ASUS USB N66)... Changed it and voila! Everything has returned to normal! All full red bars gone from LatencyMon (Thanks @Mandark for getting me to discover this awesome tool)

Perhaps windows does not like it anymore, even though the driver was only a couple of months old...

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

sweet. you can mark best answer to make the thread green and say SOLVED, since you found the errant driver, you can mark your answer as the best answer.