Question System stutters and causes overall performance issue.

jansnopek

Honorable
Apr 21, 2018
Hello yall,

So I usualy preface this that I have this build for not exactly longest of times, but its been in use for some time. I used to always build something that would last for some time and while this aint the top of the crop PC, I would say for 1080p gaming it suffices realy well.

For some specific reason the system lags quite often, well, more like the longer it runs the more it stutters. Little things, like playing WoW (yes, very CPU perf heavy game) I get very short, like not even a full second stutters, more like half a sec or less every 30 secs to 1 minute. While recently playing Dead Space remake and its fullest settings the issue was identical and it also occured during Warzone gameplay aproximately a year ago. The overall performance of the rig is horrendous as of late, not being able to tab in and out of applications quick, making them effectively not responding. When powering down the system it 1. lags extremely during power down (the spinning circle during power down just stutters extremely. 2. It takes ages to power down the rig itself even though the system and peripherals are long powered down.

I might have another issue of note, but it might be a little detour: Up until recently I my CPU was in okay numbers temp wise and performance wise. I use Coolermaster MASTERAIR MA610P ARGB cooler for my CPU and I cant specificaly remember the instalation guide and I cant tell how it was connected. Aprox 1 year ago the RGB stopped working and I paid it no attention, however recently I also found out that the back cooler is not spinning, so I connected it to the motherboard to temp_CPU slot i think ( as I said, I am not sure if this was even connected there at all or if it should use only one 4-pin header) and it spins quite loudly. I cant see it in bios so I cant ascertain the RPM, but the rig runs considerably more loud now.

TLDR: Whole rig lags the longer I use it. CPU temps are OK, system is on M.2, Games in question are usualy on that M.2 and are not hindered by hardware limitations (GPU util is not high, CPU neither aside 2023 releases). CPU temps are between 50- 60 degrees. Please assist with diagnostics so I can ascertain which component is at fault.

SYSTEMS INFO:

CPU: i7-8700
GPU: MSI Supreme RTX 3070
MOBO: ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING (BIOS last updated at the beginning of 2021)
RAM: HYPERX 16GB 3200Mhz (cant find the specific kit, but its two 8 gig sticks)
PSU: 650W EVGA G2 Supernova
Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 500GB M.2, WDC WD10EZEX 1TB 7200RPM and WDC WD40EZRZ 4TB 5200RPM (system is on the M.2 with all the games that prerformance wise rely on SSDs, rest is for movies and old games)
Case: Coolermaster Mastercase H-500M
Display: Main display in use: Acer KG271
Windows version: Windows 10 ver. 10.0.19045 Build 19045

Im pretty sure I missed out on alot of deets yall need, feel free to hit me up. This is getting progressively more and more unbearable as the performance degrades over time and I have no idea why.

Cheers.

jansnopek

Honorable
Apr 21, 2018
A couple of things that come up to my mind that I found issue-ish, but paid no attention to it realy.

1. When attempting to access BIOS like 2 days ago, the screen was graining with green pixels and powering on and off very 5 - 10 seconds. The issue was resolved by plugging in secondary monitor to HDMI ( main screen uses DP).
  2. After instalation of the GPU it couldnt find the signal from the DP long untill being in the system, so I couldnt access BIOS at all. This was resolved by a completely unknown remedy.
  3. When building PC I did a rookie mistake and put the two RAM sticks next to each other. This is now fixed and they are in slots they are supposed to be in in order to benefit from dual channel.

I was thinking this is either CPU issue or juice issue. 650W for 3070 maybe cutting it too close. But ill wait up for any pointers or ideas yall might have.

Hello yall,

So I usualy preface this that I have this build for not exactly longest of times, but its been in use for some time. I used to always build something that would last for some time and while this aint the top of the crop PC, I would say for 1080p gaming it suffices realy well.

For some specific reason the system lags quite often, well, more like the longer it runs the more it stutters. Little things, like playing WoW (yes, very CPU perf heavy game) I get very short, like not even a full second stutters, more like half a sec or less every 30 secs to 1 minute. While recently playing Dead Space remake and its fullest settings the issue was identical and it also occured during Warzone gameplay aproximately a year ago. The overall performance of the rig is horrendous as of late, not being able to tab in and out of applications quick, making them effectively not responding. When powering down the system it 1. lags extremely during power down (the spinning circle during power down just stutters extremely. 2. It takes ages to power down the rig itself even though the system and peripherals are long powered down.

I might have another issue of note, but it might be a little detour: Up until recently I my CPU was in okay numbers temp wise and performance wise. I use Coolermaster MASTERAIR MA610P ARGB cooler for my CPU and I cant specificaly remember the instalation guide and I cant tell how it was connected. Aprox 1 year ago the RGB stopped working and I paid it no attention, however recently I also found out that the back cooler is not spinning, so I connected it to the motherboard to temp_CPU slot i think ( as I said, I am not sure if this was even connected there at all or if it should use only one 4-pin header) and it spins quite loudly. I cant see it in bios so I cant ascertain the RPM, but the rig runs considerably more loud now.

TLDR: Whole rig lags the longer I use it. CPU temps are OK, system is on M.2, Games in question are usualy on that M.2 and are not hindered by hardware limitations (GPU util is not high, CPU neither aside 2023 releases). CPU temps are between 50- 60 degrees. Please assist with diagnostics so I can ascertain which component is at fault.

SYSTEMS INFO:

CPU: i7-8700
GPU: MSI Supreme RTX 3070
MOBO: ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING (BIOS last updated at the beginning of 2021)
RAM: HYPERX 16GB 3200Mhz (cant find the specific kit, but its two 8 gig sticks)
PSU: 650W EVGA G2 Supernova
Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 500GB M.2, WDC WD10EZEX 1TB 7200RPM and WDC WD40EZRZ 4TB 5200RPM (system is on the M.2 with all the games that prerformance wise rely on SSDs, rest is for movies and old games)
Case: Coolermaster Mastercase H-500M
Display: Main display in use: Acer KG271
Windows version: Windows 10 ver. 10.0.19045 Build 19045

Im pretty sure I missed out on alot of deets yall need, feel free to hit me up. This is getting progressively more and more unbearable as the performance degrades over time and I have no idea why.

Cheers.
Just to make the pot smaller unplug both hdd's see if it makes a diff.

Failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.
Have HWmonitor running when the slowdown happens.
It will record current, minimum and max temperatures as well as fan speeds.

Look at the minimum cpu temperature; that is when the cpu was idle, and doing nothing.
You should see something like 10-15c. over ambient.
Much more, and your cooler is not mounted well or the fan is not spinning.

Look at the max cpu temperature. If you see 100c. in red, it indicates that the cpu has throttled and recovered.

Stuttering is usually because of the temporary lack of cpu resources.
Your I7-8700 was a fine processor when launched 5 years ago.
You might consider an upgrade.

jansnopek

Honorable
Apr 21, 2018
Failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.
Have HWmonitor running when the slowdown happens.
It will record current, minimum and max temperatures as well as fan speeds.

Look at the minimum cpu temperature; that is when the cpu was idle, and doing nothing.
You should see something like 10-15c. over ambient.
Much more, and your cooler is not mounted well or the fan is not spinning.

Look at the max cpu temperature. If you see 100c. in red, it indicates that the cpu has throttled and recovered.

Stuttering is usually because of the temporary lack of cpu resources.
Your I7-8700 was a fine processor when launched 5 years ago.
You might consider an upgrade.

So I downloaded the HWMonitor as you said and I had a chance to test it out on WoW (its a genuinely better test than top end, because it comparatively doesnt need that many resources, yet still performs poorly) only , but the overall heat values are 40 degrees on min and 60 on max, hovering usualy on 50 average. I would say that the CPU is mounted properly and has been re-pasted recently. The only issue is that I THINK how the CPU coolers are supposed to work is that they have 1 4pin CPU fan header and 2 connective 4pins, but from the documentation I cant tell if the 2 4pins are for RGB only, or if its supposed to connect the other fan to get the juice out of 1 CPU fan header (this seems to be the case).

Just took a look at the layout of the motherboard and it seems I have shoved the 2nd fan into an AIO_PUMP header, so thats why its maybe running on full RPM? This seems to be the case as I managed to figure out that in the MWMon the 2nd fan shows as Chassis 5 fan with 1800 RPM while the other runs at aproximate of 972 max.

So the 4 pin on the 2nd CPU fan is probably faulty. But if its running at such high RPM all the time, I am not sure why there would be a heating issue.

I will test with different programs and possibly re-mount the CPU cooler. Other than that I plan to pop out the HDDs aswell as advised above.

All I can say is that time flies by and it doesnt feel like 5 years since this CPU got released. However I would like to past the innards of this build to my sister and if it performs like this I cant realy do that.

Ill come back to you with more info.

A AIO pump is supposed to run at full speed always; that is why there is a special header for it.

I don't think you have a heat issue.
But, there may be a psu issue.
3000 series cards will have short temporary power spikes well above the nominal psu wattage.
Your 3070 has two 8 pin connectors which is more than normal .

As good as your 650w psu is, I think it really should be more like 850w.

jansnopek

Honorable
Apr 21, 2018
A AIO pump is supposed to run at full speed always; that is why there is a special header for it.

I don't think you have a heat issue.
But, there may be a psu issue.
3000 series cards will have short temporary power spikes well above the nominal psu wattage.
Your 3070 has two 8 pin connectors which is more than normal .

As good as your 650w psu is, I think it really should be more like 850w.

Tested it on DS remake and the values for CPU temps are 34 minimum 79 maximum hovering between 60 to 70 during load. I dont think the CPU is poorly seated, just that the cooler might be faulty/not performing proper at all.

I thought it might be a juice issue given that when I bought the 3070, 650W PSU was advised as satisfactory, but barely cutting it. Though I am not rly sure why it would spike above in power when playing something as <Mod Edit> as WoW that uses 30% of my GPU ( The performance around that is mainly CPU based on single core performance).

Also as I said. it appears that the exhaust fan appears to have faulty 4 pin connecting it to the other one, hence why RGB doesnt work and why its not spinning. So I shoved the 4pin into the AIO pump for it to at least work.

Thanks for the assistance so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

jansnopek

Honorable
Apr 21, 2018
One general question to be thrown out there though as I am no expert on PSU and wattage overall. Wouldnt power issues present themselves in a different manner than this?