TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
I just changed the title as the situation changed once I made this post.

Here's my current rig

Motherboard: Asus H81M-CS
Processor: i5-4440 3.1Ghz
Ram: Kingston hyperx fb-dimm (4GB)
SSD: Kingston SSDNow 300 (128GB)
HDD: WD 1TB
Graphics Card: GTX 750Ti
PSU: Antec VP450P

So, a bit of context first,

I had some issues with my motherboard earlier and got it replaced. They claim it was a brand new one, but I feel it was refurbished. I had a few issues at that time (kept getting a CPU over voltage issue). I'm not sure if the issue was resolved by a BIOS update or a new PSU, but it has been working fine since then. Here is the link to the post I made here at that time.

I used to keep the desktop case on a table next to the monitor earlier, however, as that was not very comfortable I recently got a computer table (atleast that's what it's called here where I live). It's basically a table with a retractable shelf for the keyboard and mouse and a closed storage for the desktop case. The carpenter who made it had first assured my that he would try and add a "net" on one of the sides so the system would get some air and cool. However, what was delivered was quite different. It was a completely closed space with no space even for wires to go out smoothly. It was a bit too small too. It could basically fit the computer case but not the wires once connected to the backside (D-Sub, power, keyboard and mouse etc). I got a few holes drilled at the back so the wires could come out, however, I don't think they were enough for any ventilation. Especially for the PSU as the fan faced a closed space. While drilling the holes, the carpenter asked me to place the computer case in and out a couple of times to check if the holes were drilled in place.

Once all was done, I connected the system and tried to boot. It did not. The system would just power up for a second then then die out to make an attempt again. So it would basically just boot for a second, shut down, reboot again for a second. This would continue until I cut the power source. At that time I had two probable causes in mind.

1. Something (mostly the GPU) may have shaken from all the movement, connection and reconnection of the case while drilling the holes
  2. The saw dust from drilling holes into the wooden table may have entered the case
  3. Heat build up
I tried removing the keyboard, mouse, GPU etc one by one. However, the problem still persisted. I later removed the GPU, cleaned it and reinserted it. It then started to work properly. I used it for a few days since with no issues.

However, today the system suddenly shut down and the problem has returned again. Just before the shut down I had a few chrome tabs open and maybe an excel sheet and illustrator. I first removed the cleaned the GPU, however, this time it did not help.

After this, I tried the following things

1. Removed component after component starting with the GPU followed by the keyboard and then mouse.
  2. Changed the RAM slot
  3. Replaced the PSU with a spare one
  4. Plugged into the wall instead of the UPS
  5. Tried a different power cord
Nothing seems to fix the problem, I am now left with just three suspects.

1. Motherboard
  2. Processor
  3. Some damage done due to heat build up.
I currently do not have a spare motherboard or processor. Furthermore, I'm not very experienced with removing the processor and would want to avoid messing it up as well.

So my question is

1. Is there a way I can further check for what the problem could be without changing the motherboard or processor.
  2. Could the problem be something else that I am missing.
[Edit] I just did a CMOS reset and it now boots, however, it doesn't seem to be giving any output or input. The screen stays off or with no signal. Keyboard and mouse don't light up, nothing. Just the Fans running in the case.

I was suspecting the MoBo was bad, however, when I tried removing the RAM and booting without memory, it gave a series of long and short beeps. I see this as a sign that the MoBo might be fine, I'm really confused now.

Last edited:

TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
I was finally able to pin point the issue, it was a bad RAM slot. Don't know why it didn't work earlier, but after doing a BIOS reset and changing the slot it started to work. I am now using the other slot for the time being, just don't know how safe it is.

I also heard that it could be a problem with the CPU socket, how do I check for that

Last edited:

TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
So I had an issue that I wrote about here.

To summarise, my system does not boot (or maybe doesn't even POST) when I have my RAM stick inserted in slot one.
However, if I insert it in slot 2, reset CMOS and then try booting it works fine. I had concluded that the RAM slot had gone bad.

However, when I read this post and this post, I learned that even the CPU handles memory management and hence the issue can also be with the CPU / CPU Socket.

As of now, I'm not sure if the problem is with my motherboard in general, the RAM slot 1, CPU Socket or the CPU itself.

How do I test and narrow down on what exactly the issue was.

Also, as the system boots and works properly when I use slot 2, how safe is it for me to proceed and use slot 2.

My current rig is as follows

Motherboard: Asus H81M-CS
Processor: i5-4440 3.1Ghz
Ram: Kingston hyperx fb-dimm (4GB)
SSD: Kingston SSDNow 300 (128GB)
HDD: WD 1TB
Graphics Card: GTX 750Ti
PSU: Antec VP450P

TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
Kingston hyperx fb-dimm (4GB)

Fully-buffered dual-inline memory modules (FB-DIMMs) are not compatible with the Asus H81M-CS. They are for a server.

Strangely it has worked fine for about 4-5 years so far. Now that it's working on slot 2 and not 1, does that mean it has damaged slot 1. What should be the way ahead? Should I buy a new Ram, MoBo or both.

Last edited: