[SOLVED] System suffering from nvlddmkm Event ID 14. Occasional screen blackout and computer freeze. Looking for ANY solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I built this computer about one year ago and no matter what I try, I keep getting occasional (about 1-2 per week) nvlddmkm Event ID 14 errors in Event Viewer. I am almost certain these are related to my occasion 1-2 second screen blackouts. I have also had about 4 total computer freezes over the last year (video freezes but audio and mouse still worked - only solution was to manually reboot PC via holding power button.) I also had one instance early on of this computer's life of updating Nvidia drivers and the update process "froze" on me. I restarted the PC on integrated graphics and was able to update the Nvidia drivers the 2nd time trying. I think this was a symptom of the issues and not my cause but I'm not sure. Also, strangely I never seem to have these issues when the computer is under "heavy use" via hours of gaming, ect. It always seems to occur during light use such as browsing YouTube or watching VLC or, most commonly, just idle on the desktop with no programs open.

My system:
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Intel i7-9700 CPU
  • ASRock Z390 Steel Legend Mobo
  • MSI GTX 1650 Super
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 RAM (2x16GB)
  • Corsair RM750x PSU
The exact error from event viewer:
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
CMDre 00000049 00000208 ffffffff 00000001 ffffffff

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table"

I have googled and researched a ton over the last several months, and this seems to be an issue many people experience, but no one has a clear cut answer as to why and how it happens and the solution to the problem. Even a former post here on Toms Hardware has many guesses but no clear solution. Some people assume it is a software and driver issue between Windows and Nvidia and others say its an AMD CPU and Nvidia issue (this obviously can't apply to me because I am on an Intel i7.)

Some things I have tried with no luck:
  • BIOS updated to latest version
  • Motherboard has all latest drivers
  • Clean installed various Nvidia drivers several times. Currently on 472.12
  • I've ran Windows System File Checker (sfc) and no issues were detected with my OS
  • Checked all hardware is set correctly in Motherboard.
One thing that has occurred to me is the connection between my GPU and software that controls RGB lighting conflicting with one another causing an error. This has been pointed to as the culprit by several people in various posts about the issue. I did have this GPU in a previous system and on that system I downloaded MSI Mystic Light via their Dragon Center software and turned off the RGB lighting to the GPU. However, the motherboard of this pervious build had terrible coil whine, so I got a new motherboard and pretty much re-built my PC using many of the components I had in the old system - this GPU being one of them. On this new PC, I did install MSI Mystic Light software but via their new MSI Center software and not the older MSI Dragon Center as I found Dragon Center to be a much more bulkier software. So to make a long story short: I can't help but wonder if some setting from the previous build "carried over" to my new PC and might be causing issues? The RGB light settings (RGB "off") did carry over to my new motherboard without me even installing MSI Mystic Light first, so clearly some settings were saved. (Perhaps via the GPU firmware? I don't know enough about GPUs to really understand.) Is there a way to "hard reset" a GPU to factory settings and therefore clear all RGB settings or am I completely off-base here?

Anyway, thank you for reading my plight, and ANY solutions you can think of would be appreciated. The thought of my PC freezing again is enough to make me not want to leave the issue alone and find a solution.

Last edited:
Solution
No one has any experience with Event ID 14 from nvlddmkm ?
ive experienced event id14 from nvlddmkm several times, its fairly common if you google it
u can get rid of with DDU and installing fresh drivers
but i never had such issues like black screen or another lack of stability due to event id 14

try running memtest or stress test
system freezes shouldnt be due to GPU, GPU blackscreen ok, but driver should reset, not freeze PC, or youll get bsod.
gpu freezing PC is very rare and if its really from GPU, then its not software issue, but GPU is deffective
to rule out GPU, you can test it in friends PC, if freezes will be there aswell...GPU replacement might be needed
Jan 12, 2022
I feel you there mate, having the exact same problem for the last month and a half. Everything i have read so far and my last ditch attempt now is to remove the LED light controls for my RAM.

It makes it easier to see now if the problem has something to do with led control as everything i had read was to do with an ASUS mobo and i have a Gigabyte, will post results as soon as i can find the problem

Jan 15, 2022
Mate, I am having the exact same issue with my system. I’m losing my mind dealing with it. Feels like i’ve tried every solution possible except replacing my GPU.

No one has any experience with Event ID 14 from nvlddmkm ?
ive experienced event id14 from nvlddmkm several times, its fairly common if you google it
u can get rid of with DDU and installing fresh drivers
but i never had such issues like black screen or another lack of stability due to event id 14

try running memtest or stress test
system freezes shouldnt be due to GPU, GPU blackscreen ok, but driver should reset, not freeze PC, or youll get bsod.
gpu freezing PC is very rare and if its really from GPU, then its not software issue, but GPU is deffective
to rule out GPU, you can test it in friends PC, if freezes will be there aswell...GPU replacement might be needed

Solution
It has something to do with GPU. When I got that error my GPU soon kicked the bucket. Make sure you are on latest drivers for GPU.
I agree with drivinfast247,
Event ID: 14. display driver not responding and successfully recovered + extra problem

Clean install your GPU driver and use DDU to wipe all
references from your registry. Download DDU from Wagnard's official site.

What is the purpose of DDU?

Display Driver Uninstaller, or DDU, is a driver utility programs that allows you to remove all traces of NVIDIA, AMD, and INTEL display and audio drivers from Windows. This allows you to perform a clean install of new drivers so that there are no potential issues with previous versions.

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I agree with drivinfast247,
Event ID: 14. display driver not responding and successfully recovered + extra problem

Clean install your GPU driver and use DDU to wipe all
references from your registry. Download DDU from Wagnard's official site.

What is the purpose of DDU?

Display Driver Uninstaller, or DDU, is a driver utility programs that allows you to remove all traces of NVIDIA, AMD, and INTEL display and audio drivers from Windows. This allows you to perform a clean install of new drivers so that there are no potential issues with previous versions.

DDU is something I have yet to try, but I am certainly going to now. There are not many other options left apart from re-building my PC. A quick question about DDU: am I supposed to uninstall the drivers 1st via Nvidia's uninstaller and then run DDU to "scrub" the computer of all Nvidia traces (kind of like a 2nd uninstall) or do I just run DDU from the start and let it uninstall everything?

Last edited:

se7enX89X

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
I feel you there mate, having the exact same problem for the last month and a half. Everything i have read so far and my last ditch attempt now is to remove the LED light controls for my RAM.

It makes it easier to see now if the problem has something to do with led control as everything i had read was to do with an ASUS mobo and i have a Gigabyte, will post results as soon as i can find the problem
What have you read about Asus mobo and rgb causing crashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.