[SOLVED] System Temp Thoughts

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
Just looking for some input on what you guys think about the temps I'm getting. After going from a 4790K and 1080 to a 5800X and 3080 I'm not quite used to all the thermal output.

Case: H710i
AIO: Kraken x62 280mm (top mounted)
CPU: 5800X
GPU: 3080 Strix
PSU: 1000W Seasonic
Fans: 3x120mm front intake and 1x140mm exhaust at the back

Temps:

Idle
CPU: 45C
GPU: 44C
Liquid: 38C

Watching Twitch
CPU: 68C
GPU: 49C
Liquid: 40C

Gaming (played Control and RDR2 for an hour each)
CPU: 76C Average, Up to 79C
GPU: 75C
Liquid: 50C

My temps during gaming are higher than I've seen in my experience. Mostly with the CPU. I'm aware that the 5800X tends to be hotter.

Given my setup is there any suggestions for changing the layout perhaps? Front mounting the radiator? Better AIO? Is the liquid getting too hot? Never saw it go higher than 43C on the old build.

Solution
Hi Eric92.

Look at the temperature you get when the CPU is spiking at idle and when you're on youtube etc and set your fan curve to be really quiet below that temp and aggressive over that temp. If you don't do that your fans will rev up and down non stop and it's annoying yes :)

My fan are running at like 20% under 65C and really aggressive over that. So it's always quiet when I don't play games or render stuff.
As you said,new ryzen lineup runs hotter.
76C is absolutelly fine for a 5800X when playing games in my opinion.
GPU is also fine.Everything below 90C is considered 'alright'.
The best way u can mount a radiator is on the top which you did,so i dont think nothing has to be changed,the temps are fine,everything is good imo.

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
As you said,new ryzen lineup runs hotter.
76C is absolutelly fine for a 5800X when playing games in my opinion.
GPU is also fine.Everything below 90C is considered 'alright'.
The best way u can mount a radiator is on the top which you did,so i dont think nothing has to be changed,the temps are fine,everything is good imo.
Yeah I guess I'm just not used to that high of temps or the accompanying fan noise that comes along with it! I'll probably be fiddling with the fan curves and finding a happy medium.

I've heard front mounting is better for CPU temps before but I also just OC'd to 4.65 at 1.3v and I'm getting about 5C lower with same performance in games I play. Stock Ryzen gets up to like 1.45v at times and seems like that's where a lot of the excess heat comes from.

Hi Eric92.

Look at the temperature you get when the CPU is spiking at idle and when you're on youtube etc and set your fan curve to be really quiet below that temp and aggressive over that temp. If you don't do that your fans will rev up and down non stop and it's annoying yes :)

My fan are running at like 20% under 65C and really aggressive over that. So it's always quiet when I don't play games or render stuff.

Solution