gpcyan3

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I have a problem with the temperature on my system and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help and prevent burning up my components.

I just built this computer about a month ago... here are my components:

MSI x48c mobo
Intel core 2 duo e8400 running at 3.0 ghz
Artic Freezer 7 cpu fan
4gb ddr2 ocz reaper ram
NXT Tempest case
*2 ATI 4870's running in crossfire
300gb seagate barracuda hd
750w ps from pcpowerandcooling

So here's the problem.

My CPU idles at around 35C and under heavy load runs at about 42C which is fine...
But my system temperature is way too high... when I first start up my computer it starts in the low 30s (33C or so) but it steadily climbs about a degree every 2 minutes until it stops at around 59C idling. Under heavy load it gets up to the high 60s (67C or so).

I don't know what to do to fix this. I've read around online and most system temperatures are in the 20s and 30s (below the cpu temp).

I believe this is from my 2x 4870s which run at about 80C, but I'm not totally sure. Can anyone shed some light on this? I just built this computer and I don't want to burn up the components.

I have stock fans on my case (4 outtake and 2 intake). The room in my house with my computer can get a little hot since the AC doesn't pour out, which I know it partly the reason but something else must not be right for it to be idling at 59-60C.

Any suggestions?

rberry

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Its your ATI cards.

There is a fan speed hack to make them run 20c cooler or more.

Google: ATI fan speed hack

gpcyan3

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Thanks rberry. I looked up the gpu fan settings and managed to lower both my gpus to the mid 50s from high 70s, which reduced my idle system temp to 49-51C and mid 50s under heavy load.

So the GPUs must be the main cause of this, although I'm still a little concerned with my system running around 50C still.

Can anyone provide any insight as to whether or not this will burn up my hardware at this temp? I have read that some mobos/systems run at higher than normal temps, I just don't want to burn up my investment.

What are you using to measure these temps?

Your cards vent out the back so they should not be contributing that much heat.

50C in a warm room under max load doesn't sound too bad for a MB temp.

If your fans are all stock you might want to look at getting some higher volume fans for the front to push some extra air in.

Next check your wiring and try to make sure your MB is getting a good unobstructed draft.

Yeah a larger 120mm CPU cooler like the Sunbeam or Xigmatek will help, especially if you set it up so that it's pulling air away from the NB heatsink.

gpcyan3

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I'm using the MSI dual core center as well as speedfan to measure the temps. I'm looking into tying up some of the cables to make sure the front air is actually getting to the gpus in the back of the case, since there are alot of cables being used.

Once I get that set I'll post some more temps.

Thanks for the info proximon/shadowthor.