Question System Temperature Is Always More Than 85°

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Hi.
I never paid attention to this, but when I started using speedfan application, I saw that the "System" temperature is on 85° when the system is idle and 93° when gaming. To be assured, I used the other apps for checking temps and they all showed similar results. Also, when I tried playing battlefield 5, after the loading screen, the PC turned off and restarted itself because of system temperature exceeding 100° C. This doesn't happen when I play games like GTA V, I play it for hours and nothing really happens. My rig is low spec so it shouldn't have such a high temp. I don't have any case fans installed. Only CPU fan and PSU fan are installed. Should I install case fans or is there a fix?

My Rig:

Motherboard: Intel DG31PR
Processor: Core 2 Duo e4600 2.44 GHz
RAM: 4 GB DDr2 (Max Supported)
Graphic Card: GT 710 2 GB DDr3
Power Supply: 450 Watts

System temperature should correspond to north-bridge chip
(chip under large aluminum heat-sink in middle of the board).
Check it with your finger. Be careful.

What are cpu temperatures?
What cpu cooler are you using?
Have you ever cleaned dust out of your pc?
Have you ever changed thermal paste?
Can you show photos of inside of your pc?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

A1gkMmNiWkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Herr B

Jaegeren

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
No case fans?
Well depending on the case if you only have the CPU cooler and PSU fan. It's most likely just circulating hot air inside your case.
BFV are a pretty well optimized game. It'll put more stress on your CPU as it's able to exploit more of your CPU's power.

Gta V, is rather old now and are not that well optimized.

My old rig also worked harder when i played BF1 than it did running GTA V

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
No case fans?
Well depending on the case if you only have the CPU cooler and PSU fan. It's most likely just circulating hot air inside your case.
BFV are a pretty well optimized game. It'll put more stress on your CPU as it's able to exploit more of your CPU's power.

Gta V, is rather old now and are not that well optimized.

My old rig also worked harder when i played BF1 than it did running GTA V

But The Temperature Should Be Low At Startup And Idle. At Startup The Temperature Is Always 87%

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
System temperature should correspond to north-bridge chip
(chip under large aluminum heat-sink in middle of the board).
Check it with your finger. Be careful.

What are cpu temperatures?
What cpu cooler are you using?
Have you ever cleaned dust out of your pc?
Have you ever changed thermal paste?
Can you show photos of inside of your pc?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

A1gkMmNiWkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
CPU temperatures are 40 Degree when idle, and 85 degree when in load for hours.
The CPU cooler is the same as stock, but with screws instead of the pins.
Yes there's practically no dust on my computer and I check it every month
The thermal paste was changed in 2019 and its in solid state now (on the processor)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
My rig is low spec so it shouldn't have such a high temp.

Disagree. It is likely because it is so low that you are seeing the issues you have. The PC as specc'd is 1) REALLY old and 2) likely not going to meet any minimum requirements for most games. The fact that it is getting too hot is because the hardware in it isn't designed to be put to the loads that some games demand.

I don't have any case fans installed. Only CPU fan and PSU fan are installed. Should I install case fans or is there a fix?

Case fans exchange cool room air with warmer case air. If this isn't happening, you are simply moving hot air around over and over like a convection oven. Even the best cooler you can buy cannot cool well if there isn't fresh air to utilize.

Is there a fix? Yes. Case fans. Or, remove the side panel and leave it partially open.

Otherwise, update your PC build, meaning pretty much all new hardware....not much (actually, NONE) of this config can be re-used if so.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Disagree. It is likely because it is so low that you are seeing the issues you have. The PC as specc'd is 1) REALLY old and 2) likely not going to meet any minimum requirements for most games. The fact that it is getting too hot is because the hardware in it isn't designed to be put to the loads that some games demand.

Case fans exchange cool room air with warmer case air. If this isn't happening, you are simply moving hot air around over and over like a convection oven. Even the best cooler you can buy cannot cool well if there isn't fresh air to utilize.

Is there a fix? Yes. Case fans. Or, remove the side panel and leave it partially open.

Otherwise, update your PC build, meaning pretty much all new hardware....not much (actually, NONE) of this config can be re-used if so.
Lol The Only Thing I Can Reuse Is The Hard Drive As I Bought It A Month Earlier