System Thread Exception Not Handled AND Failure Configuration Windows Updates, Reverting Changes.

Beginner-Thw

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
I own a computer Asus (Windows 8, 8 Gb RAM, 1 Tb hard disk, Intel i5 cpu). I cannot use that computer, because every time I have to restart the system, I get a Blue Screen Of Death: the message says “System Thread Exception Not Handled”. Restore-points have not solved the problem. I was forced to completely reinstall the OS. Over and over again. The last time it happened, I was forced to Reinstall the OS twice. I was awake for nearly 48 hours, non-stop, to make sure everything would go smoothly.

Every time I reinstall the OS, I am forced to reinstall all the hundreds of Windows Updates. On a Metered connection. In one week I've used up my ISP's monthly internet allowance.

But this is only the beginning of the nightmare. Not only do I have to re-download and re-install hundreds of Windows Updates, over and over again, and on a Metered connection. But, also, every time I reinstall them, I get the message “Failure configuring Windows Updates; Reverting Changes.” What is ever worse is that the message only appears AFTER I've downloaded gigabytes of Windows Updates on a Metered connection.

In other words, Microsoft Windows asks me to install Updates, to solve the problem “System Thread Exception Not Handled.” But, at the same time, Windows is incapable of installing those Updates, because of “Failure to configuring Windows Updates; Reverting Changes.”

So, in order to be able to use that computer, I would like to completely remove Windows from that computer, and replace it with something like Linux. But the computer does not allow me to format the C drive. It does not allow me to delete Windows 8, either. What should I do?? Or should I sell that computer, and buy an Apple computer??

That particular error is most commonly caused by a buggy or incompatible driver. In order to troubleshoot it we need the entire contents of the blue screen. There can also be memory issues.

Download Memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ), burn to CD, boot said CD, and run no fewer than 3 complete test cycles on your RAM using the following test protocol:

1. Each stick individually in each slot.
2. Pairs of sticks, swapping order and slots between tests (eg. stick 1 in slot one & stick 2 in slot 2, then stick 2 in slot 1 and stick 1 in slot 2. Repeat for slots 3&4)

This will take considerable time. Do not skimp here, test thoroughly, we want to eliminate as many RAM problems as possible.

Beginner-Thw

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

Beginner-Thw

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I cannot do that. That computer is stuck on Failure Configuration Windows Updates, Reverting Changes and does not allow me to do anything. If, for example, I switch it off, when I switch it back on it is still stuck there. It's been there for at least ten hours. I have a recovery pendrive, and a recovery DVD, but I have no idea how to kickstart them. Is there any way of getting rid of the Windows OS ??

Beginner-Thw

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
Thanks for your answer. The OS is pre-installed, so the DVD is one I made myself. I have no idea how to boot it. I have tried both the recovery pendrive and the recovery DVD, but nothing happens. I do not know which buttons I have to press. Never mind. It's a lost cause. Anyway, you've been very helpful. Thank you.

Beginner-Thw

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
With the help of computer semi-literate friends, I've been able to access that computer. We have done a Restore. The Restore failed, and it says Error 0x800700b7 . The internet is full of “solutions” to such Error. Those solutions are risky—also because I know almost nothing about computers. I'm only getting confused. I have to let Windows 8.x go, 'cause it requires expertise to run it. Once I get some available time, we will attempt to get Linux installed on that computer. Thanks again.