system thread exception not handled atikmdag.sys

Thingy_1

Prominent
Feb 19, 2017
I sent in my XFX RX 460 for RMA for doing this but on a much larger scale, but in the past week of using my old R7 240, I have gotten two BSOD system_thread_exception_not_handled atikmdag.sys
I tried the newest driver released two days ago (2/2/18) and there was one bsod before that, and a bsod after that. The same thing happened with my RX 460. It seems every driver will cause the failure. The XFX did it a lot more often, every time I booted I would get BSOD. I'm trying to keep that from happening to my R7 240, because then I will have no GPU and I have no integrated graphics.

system specs
Ryzen 5 1600
R7 2xx series
8GB DDR4 @ 2400 mhz
ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING
Samsung 500gb SSD
Windows 10 64 bit

pls halp

mitsou4

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
Sorry for butting in. I have the same problem. I just brought a R7 250 last week and I'm getting the same bsod. It can happen in 10 minutes or 3 hours. But it started only after I updated the driver from the AMD site (adrenaline version).

I went back to the original driver what Windows 10 automatically installed. It says Crismon ReLive 17.7 Radeon Software version. And since that (2 days) no bsod. But it could happan any time....

My System is way older than yours:
Phenom x3 8650
Sapphire R7 250
8GB DDR2 @ 800 mhz
MSI K9AGM3-F
Windows 10 64 bit

the only common is the amd video card/driver and the Windows 10. I think we should wait for a now driver maybe....

Extra: the last two time I got the bsods while browseing in chrome. I noticed some unusual slow down/lagging some minutes before the BSOD occured.

Colif

Win 11 Master

2 things.
1. BSOD don't wave a white flag to show you won, often only way you know its fixed is because they stop
2. It seems the GPU Drivers Microsoft have on their web site are more stable than the new ones released by AMD/Nvidia