[SOLVED] System tray and startup applications reset to first monitor on startup/restart.

Lexes

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Okay so my PC has a GTX 1070, recently I swapped cables for both my monitors, an ASUS vg248qe and some stock acer monitor. My ASUS is set as the main monitor so games launch on that monitor no problem and I like moving everything else to my second monitor including the system tray.

On my previous set up where my ASUS was DVI cabled and Acer was just HDMI cabled. Whenever I start up/ restart all the apps open up on the second monitor and the system tray stays on the second monitor.

Now after swapping cables (ASUS being a DP cable and Acer being a HDMI to DP cable), always on every new startup or restart all the apps open up on my main monitor and I'd have to slowly drag everything back to the second one and its's becoming such a hassle.

I have tried switching back and the old set up works fine but then I would feel like it would be a waste that I bought these new cables then.

Anyone got any fixes for this?

Ralston18

Titan
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
So windows just prefers the DP cable as where it thinks the start menu should go?

I wonder if its a driver issue. Could try running DDU and reinstall new drivers and see if that changes anything - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

using software like display fusion might fix it also.

Have you swapped the monitors around in display settings so windows knows which is right one?

lol ralston, I always type too slow :)