[SOLVED] System Under-performing After Upgrade

joegarland96

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
Hi all,

I'm hoping the tech wizards here can help me with an issue I've had since upgrading my PC a few days back.

A fairly straightforward upgrade: swapped my old GeForce 960 for a Gigabyte Radeon 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB and upgraded my monitor to an Optix MAG 272CQR 165hz 2k display.

Long story short, the system performed great (Battlefield 4 on 144fps ultra), then bad, then great, now constantly bad. Frames are fluctuating wildly from 70 to 130. In DayZ they were sitting comfortably at 144fps at high-ultra 2k, now they're just stuck hovering around 60. But even when it was running fine FPS wise there were some graphical/colour anomalies, for instance the ingame grass rapidly changing colour from murky green to pink.

A system reset was 'fixing' this issue when it arose, which was always when I decided to play a game the second time. So say I started up Battlefield 4, it ran great, I'd take a break and close it, I'd come back to it and 'oh the frames suck, best restart to fix it'. But now they just suck. Also it's probably worth mentioning some screen flicker when gaming around the edges of the monitor.

My system specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x OC'd to 3.95Ghz

GPU: Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC 8GB

MoBo: ASUS Prime B350 Plus

RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin

PSU: Cooler Master G750M PSU 'Semi-Modular, 80 Plus Bronze, 750W'

Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD

Hitachi HCS5C1050CLA382 500GB HDD

Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB (OS is on here)

I am running the latest drivers on my GPU and BIOS on MoBo. Uninstalled old GPU drivers with DDU. Temps are stable/normal on GPU & CPU.

Tl;dr

Sometimes FPS good, most of the time FPS bad. Some screen flicker. Crazy colour changing grass.

Thanks in advance guys, any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't know what else to do. I'll feedback ASAP to any replies.

Solution
Well, my knowledge is quite shallow compared to many others on this forum, so no data other then cpu/gpu % usage in games, and usage temps, but you had already stated temps are nominal.

Drivers are usually the problem, but AMD has always had weird quirks as well. The only other things I can think of would be changing your power plan to performance. MSI afterburner was a conflict at some point a whiles ago I recall, so get rid of that and use the amd control center to increase the fan speed under the performance tab. I've also heard that games must be launched through the control center, but I can't confirm.
The psu is alright, not the best but from what I see no glaring faults other then the low rated caps, so I doubt its a psu problem(could try increasing airflow to psu).

Try and run with the cpu at stock values.

Tbh, feels like a driver issue, amd had a bunch of issues with drivers and mainly fixed them with the 20.2.2 driver(I think it's the march release). So maybe try out some older drivers.

joegarland96

Commendable
Mar 2, 2018
Hi Max, thanks for the response.

I have since tried all of your suggestions and unfortunately not much has changed. I noticed a slight increase in performance when updating windows (forgot I had auto updates off so it had been a few months since the last update) and changing to older GPU drivers but not much. There are still bizarre FPS drops. I'll have to check the funky grass later on.

Still not sure what else to do. Are there any metrics or any data I can provide that might be helpful in finding a solution?

Well, my knowledge is quite shallow compared to many others on this forum, so no data other then cpu/gpu % usage in games, and usage temps, but you had already stated temps are nominal.

Drivers are usually the problem, but AMD has always had weird quirks as well. The only other things I can think of would be changing your power plan to performance. MSI afterburner was a conflict at some point a whiles ago I recall, so get rid of that and use the amd control center to increase the fan speed under the performance tab. I've also heard that games must be launched through the control center, but I can't confirm.

Solution