Question System Underperformance - 3080/10700k

Jun 27, 2021
So I got myself a pre-built last week (In order to get a 3080), and my FPS seems to be a lot lower than everyone else.

Warzone: 125FPS on ultra - 120FPS on low
Far Cry 5: 90-100FPS on ultra
Rainbow Six Siege VULCAN: 220FPS on ultra

DLSS is OFF for all of these results.

I have no idea what the issue could be. I have tried:

Using 3 different cables for the GPU
Re-installing drivers with DDU
Overclocking my CPU
Underclocking/volting my GPU

My specs are:

Asus Z490-V Motherboard
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Z Trio
Intel i7 10700k Stock
2x 8GB GSKILL Trident Z 3200mhz in dual channel
1x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz
XMP Enabled

Monitor is a MSI AG32CQ 32" 144hz.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

3DMark Time Spy Score: http://www.3dmark.com/spy/21140200

Last edited:
First thought is the mixing of RAM. To get dual channel you will need to ensure the 2x8gb are in one channel and the 1x16gb are in the other channel. There is no guarantee this will actually work. Then ensure the RAM is actually working at 3200mhz.

Once done and if the system actually works (mixing RAM is a gamble) run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

What resolution are you running?

Reactions: Why_Me
Jun 27, 2021
Thanks for the swift reply.

Both G Skill sticks are running in dual channel, and in slots A1 and B1. The other stick is sat within the middle.

RAM is definitely running at 3200Mhx. Checked through 3rd party applications and task manager.

I'll remove the lone 16GB stick and run another benchmark and post it shortly.

Thanks for the swift reply.

Both G Skill sticks are running in dual channel, and in slots A1 and B1. The other stick is sat within the middle.

RAM is definitely running at 3200Mhx. Checked through 3rd party applications and task manager.

I'll remove the lone 16GB stick and run another benchmark and post it shortly.
You don’t want the 2x8gb in separate channels, you want it in 1 channel with the 1x16gb in the other channel. This way you have 16gb in both channels. At best you are running in flex mode with 2x8gb in dual channel and 1x16gb in single at the moment.

It probably is best to just take out the 1x16gb and re test ensuring the 2x8gb is still running at 3200mhz.

Reactions: Why_Me
Jun 27, 2021
You don’t want the 2x8gb in separate channels, you want it in 1 channel with the 1x16gb in the other channel. This way you have 16gb in both channels. At best you are running in flex mode with 2x8gb in dual channel and 1x16gb in single at the moment.

It probably is best to just take out the 1x16gb and re test ensuring the 2x8gb is still running at 3200mhz.
Okay so I retested with just the 2x 8GB sticks, and I have no increase in performance.

Timespy result is the same.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Okay so I retested with just the 2x 8GB sticks, and I have no increase in performance.

Timespy result is the same.
Who is Everybody else?

You never said what monitor you have.

From your time spy results your score is better than most.

https://www.cpuagent.com/cpu/intel-core-i7-10700k/benchmarks/3dmark-physics-time-spy/amd-radeon-r9-nano?res=1&quality=ultra

Jun 27, 2021
example on 2080 vs 3080 FPS? How do you know your getting less FPS? etc.

I see a lot of new users post here come here worrying and 9 times out of 10, their no problem.
I am comparing my results to benchmarks found around the web. I am down in every single one, FPS wise.

sonofjesse

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
And their PC is EXACTLY the same as your's? Every piece of hardware and software? That is a lot of variables.

Unless your getting 50% LESS. Say the game ABC runs at 150 FPS on the youtube video/benchmark and your only getting 50 FPS. And you have same CPU/GPU combo. Yea then you might have a setting or something off.

but if their getting 150FPS and your getting 130FPS I bet your ok. Their a lot of variables.

Jun 27, 2021
And their PC is EXACTLY the same as your's? Every piece of hardware and software? That is a lot of variables.

Unless your getting 50% LESS. Say the game ABC runs at 150 FPS on the youtube video/benchmark and your only getting 50 FPS. And you have same CPU/GPU combo. Yea then you might have a setting or something off.

but if their getting 150FPS and your getting 130FPS I bet your ok. Their a lot of variables.
I mean I get your point, but when people are getting 200fps in Warzone and I get 120, when people get 130 in Far cry 5 and I get 90, and lowering settings makes no difference, then I know something is wrong somewhere. Maybe 750W PSU it not enough?

Jun 27, 2021
I have heard that Afterburner can mess with PCIE settings, dll's... Not sure how true this is.

Going to uninstall Afterburner and Rivatuner, and then I'm going to update my chipset drivers. Maybe that'll help.

I have heard that Afterburner can mess with PCIE settings, dll's... Not sure how true this is.

Going to uninstall Afterburner and Rivatuner, and then I'm going to update my chipset drivers. Maybe that'll help.
The thing with game benchmark videos posted on the internet is I think people don't do it with average performance systems. They setup their system and tweak until they have great performance then benchmark.

Jun 27, 2021
The thing with game benchmark videos posted on the internet is I think people don't do it with average performance systems. They setup their system and tweak until they have great performance then benchmark.
I get that totally. But to me, 120 fps on LOW, compared to over 200FPS on MAX with RT ON in Warzone is a large performance difference for tweaks.

Jun 27, 2021
Further tests show that even though I am reaching correct benchmarking scores in 3DMark, my performance is still below average.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonofjesse

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
I really think the people benchmarking have different settings than you. Some setting in the game is different is my guess. If you find somebody the exact same rig. Also remember drivers, windows version etc, game patch level plays roles too. Tons of variables

The only thing I would mention is the power supply beefy enough to handle this? Got a friend with a 1000 watt P2 or HXI to slap in and test?

Jun 27, 2021
I really think the people benchmarking have different settings than you. Some setting in the game is different is my guess. If you find somebody the exact same rig. Also remember drivers, windows version etc, game patch level plays roles too. Tons of variables

The only thing I would mention is the power supply beefy enough to handle this? Got a friend with a 1000 watt P2 or HXI to slap in and test?
Cheers for the reply.

Unfortunately not, I don't have a 1000w PSU to try out. According to Nvidia, 750w is fine for a 3080, considering all my other components.

I do see my benchmarks are fine thoug, so maybe this is just a warzone issue. I have seen a lot of people complain about it. Not much of a fan of the game anyway :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY