Question System Upgrade Assistance Request

MrBishop

Honorable
Nov 12, 2014
So first of all, I'd like to apologize for my distinct lack of knowledge on all things hardware related. I'll try to follow the sticky's advice and answer as many of the questions as possible, but I don't know what some of them mean or I simply don't know the answer.

Approximate Purchase Date: 2011~
Budget Range: No set limit, though cheaper is generally better.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/streaming.
Are you buying a monitor: No, though I can if I need to.

Parts to Upgrade: That's what I need to know, as well as suggestions of which parts to upgrade to specifically.

Do you need to buy OS: Maybe? If I have to replace the MOBO, which I assume I will, I might according to the note below. Not sure what OEM stands for.
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
I don't care, though I tend to use Amazon when shopping online.
Parts Preferences: No preference.

Overclocking: I believe my PC is currently OC but I have no idea.
SLI or Crossfire: No idea.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.

Additional Comments:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
RAM: 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 665 MHz
MOBO: Dell Inc. 0Y2MRG
GPU: 4095 MB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
STORAGE: A) 1863 GB Western Digital SATA III and B) 465 GB Western Digital SATA III

[I don't know what most of that means, sorry]

My request here is for you guys to point out what specifically I need to upgrade and to what I should upgrade it to, I'm not looking to go top of the line as I'd rather not spend thousands and I also realize I could just as easily invest in a new computer, so I'm weighing the options. My personal guess is that the RAM needs to be upgraded, and the CPU as well but I'd wager the MOBO needs to be upgraded in order to swap those over which means I might also need to upgrade my OS.

The only other thing I have to note is that a few months ago I did swap my GPU over from a Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti Hawk to the GTX 1050 Ti, not sure if that's important or not.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My computer struggles to stream/record newer games, I'd like to resolve that.

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Apr 1, 2019
Yes, you’ll need to upgrade your motherboard to support DDR4 RAM and and a better generation processor if gaming/streaming is what you’re going for. If I were in your position, I’d upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen 2700 (~$186 on amazon). A good motherboard would be Asus prime B450M-A($78 on Amazon). For RAM I’d go with G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (two 8GB sticks) DDR4 3200 which are ~$65 on Newegg. That’s pretty much all I would upgrade at the moment. Your graphics card is already pretty good.

Most likely your motherboard includes an OEM version of Windows, so if you do upgrade and change the motherboard then you’ll need to buy Windows 10 as well.

Last edited: