[SOLVED] System Upgrade Feedback

Jeff20295

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014
I am considering upgrading my 2015 build with the intention of retaining what parts I can to minimize cost. I plan to use this as a family/work/gaming machine and I only do relatively minor gaming in my free time, so the goal is something modest but powerful enough to play todays games and be easily upgradable in the future. I hit a roadblock in my first build by building on 990fx AM3+ which is now too outdated, so I wanted to base this build off of a strong/modern MB/CPU combo which is why I am going with the brand new 5000 series Ryzen 5. I have researched and used PCPartPicker for compatibility (other than processor which is brand new and not listed there) but I am looking for feedback on this upgrade to make sure I am not overlooking anything and that the path makes sense for a ~$700 budgeted upgrade.

Assumptions:
  • No overclocking
  • Minor gaming (Forza/Fifa/GTA V)
  • Just upgraded the GPU in 2020 - I predict I will get suggestions for a better GPU but for now I am hoping with the Ryzen 5 I will be able to ride the RX580 for a while before upgrading again. Thinking of adding RX 5700 XT and open to suggestions and feedback on a upgrade path for the GPU but also hoping this will suffice for now. I feel that at this point the FX processor and slower memory are holding me back more than the RX580 is, correct me if you disagree.
  • Future Proof or easily upgradable
  • Budget conscious but no strict budget

ComponentCurrentFutureEnd Result
CaseAntec Three Hundred ATX Mid TowerReusing PartAntec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower
MBASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro wifiASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro wifi
CPUFX-9370 8-Core 4.4 GHz AM3+ Black EditionRyzen 5 5600X w/Wraith Stealth CoolerRyzen 5 5600X w/Wraith Stealth Cooler
GPUXFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5Reusing PartXFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5
Memory2x - Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 MHzPatriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB DDR4-3200 CL16Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB DDR4-3200 CL16
StorageSamsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD SATA III; WD 1TB HDD SATA IIIWestern Digital Black SN750 2TB Single SSD NVMe M.2Western Digital Black SN750 2TB Single SSD NVMe M.2
PSUCorsair AX1200i ATX/EPS Modular80 PLUS PlatinumReusing PartCorsair AX1200i ATX/EPS Modular80 PLUS Platinum

Solution
Wraith Stealth is trash. At least the version they shipped with the 3600. Total trash. 60-65° on chrome. Idling close to 45-50. Get a Noctua NH-U12s or something. And I would change that case because I like windowed mesh cases and rgb but that's just personal
Wraith Stealth is trash. At least the version they shipped with the 3600. Total trash. 60-65° on chrome. Idling close to 45-50. Get a Noctua NH-U12s or something. And I would change that case because I like windowed mesh cases and rgb but that's just personal

Solution