[SOLVED] System upgrade for 4k editing and gaming, opinions?

Mar 5, 2019
Current pc:

Intel i5 8400
Hyperx 16gb 2400mhz Quad Channel Kit
GIGABYTE Z370 HD3
GTX 1060 6GB
256 GB SSD M.2
1TB HD
650w psu

So, I built this pc 2 years ago, in that time I was strictly interested in gaming. Now, I need to edit 4k videos in premiere (and probably after effects) and I really need an upgrade. I'm keeping the ssd, hard disk and gpu . I'll have a really big project in one month and I want to upgrade until then. I am also interested in the aesthetic side for this pc. I also thought about buying the i9 9900k and not buying another motherboard but I'm really wary of this. My budget for the cpu, mb and ram is ~600 euros.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9GHz box
GIGABYTE AORUS B450 PRO
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Dual Channel Kit

I'll probably add another 16gb ram in the future and I'll change the gpu when the 3060 hits the market.

Thanks!

Solution
Current pc:

Intel i5 8400
GIGABYTE Z370 HD3
GTX 1060 6GB
256 GB SSD M.2
1TB HD
650w psu

So, I built this pc 2 years ago, in that time I was strictly interested in gaming. Now, I need to edit 4k videos in premiere (and probably after effects) and I really need an upgrade. I'm keeping the ssd, hard disk and gpu . I'll have a really big project in one month and I want to upgrade until then. I am also interested in the aesthetic side for this pc. I also thought about buying the i9 9900k and not buying another motherboard but I'm really wary of this. My budget for the cpu, mb and ram is ~600 euros.

GIGABYTE AORUS B450 PRO
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB DDR4...
Current pc:

Intel i5 8400
GIGABYTE Z370 HD3
GTX 1060 6GB
256 GB SSD M.2
1TB HD
650w psu

GIGABYTE AORUS B450 PRO
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Dual Channel Kit

I'll probably add another 16gb ram in the future and I'll change the gpu when the 3060 hits the market.

Thanks!

I actually think in your case it makes sense to keep your existing motherboard and look at the 9900K as it's supported by your motherboard and I'd argue a Z370 board is going to be better than a B450 AMD board. The 9900K and 3800X will perform about the same for editing work, whilst the 9900K is a touch faster in games.

The only advantage of switching over to AMD at this point is for future upgrades or if you want the option to go with more than 8 cores, although if you are interested in the 12 or 16 core parts I would probably advise you look at an X570 motherboard anyway.

Solution
Mar 5, 2019
I actually think in your case it makes sense to keep your existing motherboard and look at the 9900K as it's supported by your motherboard and I'd argue a Z370 board is going to be better than a B450 AMD board. The 9900K and 3800X will perform about the same for editing work, whilst the 9900K is a touch faster in games.

The only advantage of switching over to AMD at this point is for future upgrades or if you want the option to go with more than 8 cores, although if you are interested in the 12 or 16 core parts I would probably advise you look at an X570 motherboard anyway.

I guess I forgot to say I'm interested in switching over to AMD for future upgrades! Sadly the x570 motherboards are out of my price range. Honestly, another reason for me to switch the motherboard is the much better aesthetic of the b450 board and the type c in the back.

Hmm, idk about the i9 9900k in gaming, I've seen the benchmarks and there's a 2 fps difference in most games.

I guess I forgot to say I'm interested in switching over to AMD for future upgrades! Sadly the x570 motherboards are out of my price range. Honestly, another reason for me to switch the motherboard is the much better aesthetic of the b450 board and the type c in the back.

Hmm, idk about the i9 9900k in gaming, I've seen the benchmarks and there's a 2 fps difference in most games.

Yeah it's not a huge difference, I mean to be honest your current CPU is fine for gaming (I'm currently on an R5 1600 and no complaints).... I guess it's just I was thinking as you already had the motherboard kind of made sense to look at Intel

The upgrade options are good though on AMD side... even my old B350 motherboard supports up to the new 16 core part (technically at least)... I'm not sure if the VRM would be up to it though, maybe with extra case cooling