DeclanDornstauder

Honorable
Dec 7, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC in order to optimally support the RTX 3070 when it releases. Right now, I'm running off a GTX 1060 6GB, and figured an upgrade would be nice for some of the new titles coming out in the future (titles as in Cyberpunk 2077... I really only want to play Cyberpunk honestly). I'm basically just looking for opinions and suggestions on what I could do for upgrades.

Here are the components I have in my current build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/DeclanDornstauder/saved/Kjb48d

Firstly, I plan on switching the i5 6600 to one of the Ryzen 5 3600 CPUs, probably the 3600XT. I'm afraid the i5 will bottleneck the 3070, so I feel like this is a must. As for the motherboard, I want to spend as little as possible, but I still want a board with PCIe 4.0 that the 3070 can take advantage of, so I plan on getting the Gigabyte B550M DS3H. It's between this and the ASRock B550M HDV, but it looks like the Gigabyte board has more features for what I would be paying.

My last concern is my power supply. Could I get away with keeping the 450W I have currently? I was thinking that I will probably have to upgrade it as well, but I don't exactly know if its necessary or not.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Solution
Nope, you cannot use a 450W on any new modern graphics card, it will either die or damange your PSU... you will need at least 650W PSU from a good name.
For the motherboard, dont ge the cheapest B550, those for example they don't even have a VRM heatsink, they will most likely overheat and not do well with a better CPU. There's much better options like the B550 Phantom 4 that is still pretty affordable but is pretty decent for the price.
Nope, you cannot use a 450W on any new modern graphics card, it will either die or damange your PSU... you will need at least 650W PSU from a good name.
For the motherboard, dont ge the cheapest B550, those for example they don't even have a VRM heatsink, they will most likely overheat and not do well with a better CPU. There's much better options like the B550 Phantom 4 that is still pretty affordable but is pretty decent for the price.

Solution