Question System upgrade from 8th to 14th gen ?

My current system is in my sig below but just incase....

Case: Phanteks P600s--
CPU: 8700K @ 5.1Ghz--
MB: Asus Maximus X Hero--
Ram G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL14--
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB--
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB--
WD Red Pro 18TB
WD Red Pro 2x6TB
EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR
EVGA G2 1600w

For right now I'm only looking to replace the CPU, MB, and Ram with the following

i7-14700k
Asus ROG Strix Z790-h
G-skill Ripjaws s5 64GB 6400Mhz cl32

My biggest question is about the ram and scaling with intel, is 6400MHz ok or should i go faster? They do make the same kit in a 6800MHz cl34 but not sure if the $50 extra is worth it.

Reactions: artk2219

kanewolf

Titan
My current system is in my sig below but just incase....

Case: Phanteks P600s--
CPU: 8700K @ 5.1Ghz--
MB: Asus Maximus X Hero--
Ram G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL14--
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB--
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB--
WD Red Pro 18TB
WD Red Pro 2x6TB
EVGA 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR
EVGA G2 1600w

For right now I'm only looking to replace the CPU, MB, and Ram with the following

i7-14700k
Asus ROG Strix Z790-h
G-skill Ripjaws s5 64GB 6400Mhz cl32

My biggest question is about the ram and scaling with intel, is 6400MHz ok or should i go faster? They do make the same kit in a 6800MHz cl34 but not sure if the $50 extra is worth it.
What is the main use? 64GB RAM is seldom required in a desktop.

I run 32GB in my current rig and yesterday while playing New World was bouncing on 21-22GB usage. I've waited 6 years to do an upgrade and just figured i would go 64GB and not have to worry for the next 6-7 years till the next upgrade.

The only other upgrade i plan on is a GPU which will probably require a PSU upgrade as well. I'll see how the 2080 TI holds up and ether go to a 4090 next year or hold out for the 5000 series whenever that drops.

kanewolf

Titan
I run 32GB in my current rig and yesterday while playing New World was bouncing on 21-22GB usage. I've waited 6 years to do an upgrade and just figured i would go 64GB and not have to worry for the next 6-7 years till the next upgrade.

The only other upgrade i plan on is a GPU which will probably require a PSU upgrade as well. I'll see how the 2080 TI holds up and ether go to a 4090 next year or hold out for the 5000 series whenever that drops.
When was the last clean OS install on this 6 year old PC? Your RAM usage might be lowered with a clean OS install. It is amazing what a clean OS install will fix.... And you should (will have to) do a clean OS install on the new PC.
But, too much RAM is just unused. It is a place for cost cutting if needed.

I do a clean OS install every year at the end of December. OS goes on the 500GB m.2, all programs go on the 1TB m.2, and entire gaming library goes on the 18TB platter. If i want to play a game i transfer it to the 1tb m.2, if i dont play a game after a week it gets moved off the m.2 back to the platter drive. I have a lot of games between steam, origan, blizzard, epic and ISO rips of all my older CD/DVD games I keep them all downloaded and up to date so i can play any of them whenever i want. Im sure you're wondering, yes i do nightly incremental backups to my server with fulls evey sunday and that server does nightly backups to my brothers house.

Anyway, I know AMD scales with ram speed but does Intel. Would i see a difference in 6400Mhz vs 6800Mhz and is that increase, if any, worth $50?

I just want to buy a 2 stick kit and be done with it. I dont want to worry down the road trying to ether match a second kit to what i have or scrapping that kit to buy a larger one.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
400MHz would probably be negligible performance atm but still an increase. Intel isn't as dependant on ram speed but that doesn't mean Intel won't benefit. 14th gen has 20 pcie 5 lanes so your graphics card bandwidth won't be cut in half if you see yourself having pcie 5 nvme some time in future. In saying that, faster ram speed could mean you'll probably benefit it in the long term such as direct storage transfering data to graphics card quicker from faster pcie 5 ssds.

Just pondering a reason to invest 50$ since it'll belong to a long term system. In the scale of things, it's isn't all that much and im like you, do the job right first not to be bit later.

Your plan looks good to me.
Intel does not much depend on fast ram for performance.
An exception might be integrated graphics.
Here is an older analysis:
Today, there is no real difference in performance between DDR4 and DDR5.
Consider reusing your 32gb of DDR4 on a ddr4 based motherboard.
What is the make/model of your cpu cooler?
What is your plan for a cpu cooler?
You may be able to reuse your cpu cooler with a lga1700 adapter kit.

Last edited:
^ i agree with "do the job right first not to be bit later."

If thats the case, i would suggest a B650 board with pcie 5.0 ssd support like the Aorus Elite AX or B650E riptide with a 7800X3D.
I manage the on prem servers and about 100 or so computers at work, I deal with issues all day at work. When i get home i dont want to have to fix something to play a game.

in 2020 i replaced this computer at work
Hx8675p.jpg

i7-980x
Asus rampage 3 extreme
Mushkin 24GB
4 EVGA 670 superclocked 3 set to 3way sli and the 4th for physx
EVGA 1600w G2

Replaced it with
AMD 3600x
Asus Prime x570-P
G.skill 32GB 3200MHz
EVGA 780 Ti kingpin, Right now it has a Quadro P2200 in it for CAD work.

It works about 97% of the time, but that 3% takes about half a day to figure out why its acting up. I dont mind at work since im getting paid to fix it, but if it was my home computer it would be gone.

Last edited:
Your plan looks good to me.
Intel does not much depend on fast ram for performance.
An exception might be integrated graphics.
Here is an older analysis:
Today, there is no real difference in performance between DDR4 and DDR5.
Consider reusing your 32gb of DDR4 on a ddr4 based motherboard.
What is the make/model of your cpu cooler?
What is your plan for a cpu cooler?
You may be able to reuse your cpu cooler with a lga1700 adapter kit.
Going to try and use a Noctua NH-D12L since ill be building it in a Chenbro 4u server case. I havent updated my sig but my current computer is in a Silverstone RM42-502 4u server case. I had a Cryorig R1 tower cooler on it but was to tall for the case and replaced it with an Ek AIO 240mm. The 8700k was delidded, liquid metal, and a solid copper IHS installed so it stays pretty cool even at 5.1GHz all core 24/7, even stays cool enough i dont have to run any AVX offsets for it.

if thats the case, a minimal expenditure now is what i would suggest considering that LGA 1700 or Z790 is a dead platform - no upgrade paths.

15th gen will be coming in 2024 with DDR5 and LGA 1851 and new mobo. it would also have a new architecture with improved single core performance, not a fine tune and clock speed bump.

Asus used to be good with its ROG series, but now its just ROG tax and the entry level ROG boards are not worth it.

the same goes for GPUs. this is mainly cuz the CPUs and GPUs nowadays are binned to very tight margins and leave little room for OC. So not much scope for manual OC. GPU companies bin them and release them for a premium and the performance difference with OC/binned models is not significant.

like 5 to 10% max for a 20% price premium with ROG models...

Anyway, I know AMD scales with ram speed but does Intel. Would i see a difference in 6400Mhz vs 6800Mhz and is that increase, if any, worth $50?

I just want to buy a 2 stick kit and be done with it. I dont want to worry down the road trying to ether match a second kit to what i have or scrapping that kit to buy a larger one.
I would do just what you have with your preferences. The data rate of the DDR5 RAM you have mentioned will not make a huge difference even in data rate sensitive tasks. First word latency is where the majority of RAM performance relative to gaming comes from.

How old is that EVGA G2? If its under 10 years I wouldn't worry about replacing it. If you still believe it is due for a replacement then I would consider Corsair or Seasonic. The T2, P2, and G2 PSUs from EVGA are exorbitantly expensive for whatever reason. I added a food for thought PSU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($418.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair HX1500i (2022) 1500 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1117.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-03 14:04 EDT-0400

if thats the case, a minimal expenditure now is what i would suggest considering that LGA 1700 or Z790 is a dead platform - no upgrade paths.

15th gen will be coming in 2024 with DDR5 and LGA 1851 and new mobo. it would also have a new architecture with improved single core performance, not a fine tune and clock speed bump.

Asus used to be good with its ROG series, but now its just ROG tax and the entry level ROG boards are not worth it.

the same goes for GPUs. this is mainly cuz the CPUs and GPUs nowadays are binned to very tight margins and leave little room for OC. So not much scope for manual OC. GPU companies bin them and release them for a premium and the performance difference with OC/binned models is not significant.

like 5 to 10% max for a 20% price premium with ROG models...

Kinda the reason why evga quit Nvidia. GPU no longer have the old flexibility like voltage control and unlocked power limits and Limited OC potential with Nvidia gpu chips.

I would do just what you have with your preferences. The data rate of the DDR5 RAM you have mentioned will not make a huge difference even in data rate sensitive tasks. First word latency is where the majority of RAM performance relative to gaming comes from.

How old is that EVGA G2? If its under 10 years I wouldn't worry about replacing it. If you still believe it is due for a replacement then I would consider Corsair or Seasonic. The T2, P2, and G2 PSUs from EVGA are exorbitantly expensive for whatever reason. I added a food for thought PSU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($418.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-H GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair HX1500i (2022) 1500 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1117.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-03 14:04 EDT-0400
PSU was bought december 2016, not sure if it matters but it sat for a few years in a build not being used.