[SOLVED] System Upgrade - Need advice on motherboard etc.

Nov 19, 2020
I've been gaming for quite a while, but I have never built a system from scratch by myself.
Now that my job includes video editing, I feel like it's a good time to build a new machine.

These are the components that I have picked out so far:
Storage will come from my current machine.

The case comes with two fans that I intend on keeping in their positions (rear and top) and the two ARCTIC fans will go in the front.
Should I setup my fans so that my front fans, CPU cooler and rear fan are all pulling air through the case, or should I go with a push-pull setup? Feel free to give me suggestions, never put any real thought in my fan setup.

Second question is concerning the motherboard and RAM.
I am mostly looking for B550 boards (better for my budget), my top picks right now are:
Any suggestions on alternatives?

For RAM, I am looking for a 16GB (2x8) kit. No real preference, but I'd prefer the speeds to be around 3200.
Would this HyperX Fury 3200 CL16 kit be good enough?

I'm sorry if I missed any vital information - I'll fill in if needed! Thanks.

Solution
Of course, that makes sense.
Should I set the rear fan to push, or rear + CPU cooler to push? What would you suggest?

For the CPU fan(s) pull push depends on where the fan is. So if the fan is at the front side it should push the air to the heat sink. and if it is at the back it should pull the air from the heatsink. In general, in gaming computers, I recommend using two fans at the same time if you are not using liquid cooling.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
I've been gaming for quite a while, but I have never built a system from scratch by myself.
Now that my job includes video editing, I feel like it's a good time to build a new machine.

These are the components that I have picked out so far:
Storage will come from my current machine.

The case comes with two fans that I intend on keeping in their positions (rear and top) and the two ARCTIC fans will go in the front.
Should I setup my fans so that my front fans, CPU cooler and rear fan are all pulling air through the case, or should I go with a push-pull setup? Feel free to give me suggestions, never put any real thought in my fan setup.

Second question is concerning the motherboard and RAM.
I am mostly looking for B550 boards (better for my budget), my top picks right now are:
Any suggestions on alternatives?

For RAM, I am looking for a 16GB (2x8) kit. No real preference, but I'd prefer the speeds to be around 3200.
Would this HyperX Fury 3200 CL16 kit be good enough?

I'm sorry if I missed any vital information - I'll fill in if needed! Thanks.
If all fans are putting air through the case, then where will the heated air go out? One side must pull air, one side should push. In general front would be pull, and back would be push. If all pull or all push, you will then see increased temperatures.

Nov 19, 2020
When are you looking to purchase?

What country are you shopping in?

What's your budget? (Is this just the tower, or are you getting a new monitor also?)

What monitor do you have?

I am looking to upgrade after new years. I'm shopping in Finland and my budget for the mobo + ram is somewhere around 420 - 430 USD.
I will keep my old peripherals including my monitor which is a BenQ XL2411P.

Nov 19, 2020
If all fans are putting air through the case, then where will the heated air go out? One side must pull air, one side should push. In general front would be pull, and back would be push. If all pull or all push, you will then see increased temperatures.

Should I set the rear fan to push, or rear + CPU cooler to push? What would you suggest?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019

For the CPU fan(s) pull push depends on where the fan is. So if the fan is at the front side it should push the air to the heat sink. and if it is at the back it should pull the air from the heatsink. In general, in gaming computers, I recommend using two fans at the same time if you are not using liquid cooling.

Reactions: aaderppi
Solution