[SOLVED] System Upgrade problems

Jan 14, 2020
Please help

I recently upgraded my system and ever since the install my system is running incredibly slow. it sometimes take 10 minutes after a reboot for me to get anything to open, even navigating windows folders sometimes times out and gives me (not responding) messages. I don't understand as I installed all the latest drivers, my device manager is not showing any flags that the hardware isn't working. Only thing I can think of is my Bios may not be up to date but I really hate messing with Bios. Also I had an issue with my Windows 10 key so I was issued a new Key.

New components are
Ryzen 5 3600X Processor
X570 Aorus Pro WIFI
16 GB Trident Pc32000 Ram

Also new are my Thermal Take 360 Liquid cooling and Thermaltake View 37 Case but i'm sure those have nothing to do with the performance. Not new are my 3 SSD's, 2 Samsung Evo 860's 500GB's and 1 WD Blue 1TB.

Is the obvious answer update my Bios and go from there. One thing I have noticed is in Device manager when i click on Processors I see 12 versions of my AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor, is that right?

Solution
Yes, that is right. Twelve threads equals twelve "logical" processors.

Yes, check for an updated BIOS version. If you are not on version F11, then update.

If you did not do a CLEAN install of Windows after you updated from a different or older platform, and are trying to run this system on a Windows version that was running that older hardware, then that is a problem. Rarely does that work out. A clean install would be the next order of business if that IS the case.

Be sure to do THIS before doing that, to avoid any further issues as you already experienced.

Yes, that is right. Twelve threads equals twelve "logical" processors.

Yes, check for an updated BIOS version. If you are not on version F11, then update.

If you did not do a CLEAN install of Windows after you updated from a different or older platform, and are trying to run this system on a Windows version that was running that older hardware, then that is a problem. Rarely does that work out. A clean install would be the next order of business if that IS the case.

Be sure to do THIS before doing that, to avoid any further issues as you already experienced.

And if you HAVE already done a clean install, or AFTER doing one, you will want to do everything below:

Also, install ALL these drivers from your motherboard product page and the AMD website. Don't skip a driver just because you THINK it might not be important or that Windows has already supplied a driver. THESE are the drivers that should be installed and ALL drivers are important because a problem with one driver can affect ALL other drivers or the stability of the system itself.

Chipset driver:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Audio chipset driver:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_612_realtekdch_6.0.8854.1.zip

LAN/Ethernet driver:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_61_silan_23.5.2.zip

Intel Bluetooth driver:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_607_IntelBT_21.50.1.1.zip

Intel Wireless adapter driver:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_630_IntelWIFI_21.50.1.1.zip

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Was Windows reinstalled from scratch on the new hardware? Carrying over an existing install with various drivers and registry entries can be very problematic.

Check cpu temps, pump rpm and frequencies with HWinfo64 to make sure your pump is working correctly and dissipating heat properly.

It may be a bios issue but if Windows install was carried over, i do suggest reinstalling first before anything else if temps checkout fine.

Jan 14, 2020
Was Windows reinstalled from scratch on the new hardware? Carrying over an existing install with various drivers and registry entries can be very problematic.

Check cpu temps, pump rpm and frequencies with HWinfo64 to make sure your pump is working correctly and dissipating heat properly.

It may be a bios issue but if Windows install was carried over, i do suggest reinstalling first before anything else if temps checkout fine.
Temps are all in the green, barely reaching 50c even under load. It is the same version of Windows from when it was an Intel i7 processor and mobo, and from the sounds of things that's my problem. Drivers were all up to date and a Bios Update didn't help matters.

Temps are all in the green, barely reaching 50c even under load. It is the same version of Windows from when it was an Intel i7 processor and mobo, and from the sounds of things that's my problem. Drivers were all up to date and a Bios Update didn't help matters.

Update BIOS if necessary. Then do a clean install. Then install the listed drivers. That SHOULD take care of your issues. Remember to also install the latest graphics driver after you reinstall Windows as well, plus any manufacturer specific drivers for peripheral hardware such as printers, mouse, keyboard, etc., if there are special features required by those devices that the native Windows drivers are unlikely to offer.

Jan 14, 2020
Uuughh i hate reinstalling Windows, was really hoping I could do this upgrade without it but clearly its the issue. Thanks for all your help everyone, I'll let you know how it went when i get the time to do the windows reinstall. Good excuse for me to go get that new NVME drive for the new OS i guess.

Jan 14, 2020
New NVMe drive is in and new windows install is purring like a kitten. Thanks guys I should have realized switching from Intel to AMD would cause some issues after the major hardware upgrade. Windows sure installs a lot quicker than i remember, or maybe it was the drive.

Uuughh i hate reinstalling Windows, was really hoping I could do this upgrade without it but clearly its the issue. Thanks for all your help everyone, I'll let you know how it went when i get the time to do the windows reinstall. Good excuse for me to go get that new NVME drive for the new OS i guess.

well it depends on how big of an upgrade you did. if you just relace the CPU then you shouldn't have to but if you did a full upgrade like replacing the motherbord then you pretty much have to or get ready for a ton of poblems

It doesn't matter about CPU or motherboard, what matters, is chipset. You can change motherboards and if both boards are very similar and use the same chipset then the chances you won't have to do a clean install are greatly increased. Even more so if both chipsets utilize the same primary storage controller, because that's where the majority of problems come from. If you move from one board to another that has different storage controllers, then the chances are greatly increased that you WILL have to do a clean install.

Obviously, there are a variety of other conditions and components that can affect the hardware stack, so any one thing can cause it to be a problem but those are the primary considerations that are almost always a matter of concern.

TRENDING THREADS