[SOLVED] System upgrade - Sound issues

pwrreset

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
I've upgraded my system to the following:
i9-11900k cpu
ROG STRIX Z590-A Gaming Wifi motherboard
2x G.Skill F4-3600C18D-64GVK for a total of 128 G ram - It is still configured default to 2666 Mhz clock speed, not the 3600 it is supposed to be.
For my video card, I have a Rog Strix RTX 3080 TI but I tried with my old GTX 1080, it doesn't change anything.

I am experiencing sound crackling issues. It always starts with a little hard to perceive noise once in a while... then it will become more frequent and the audio service will crash and restart once in a while or it will continue until it becomes like a TV no channel static noise.

It does this mostly when I connect my USB headset but will affect both USB headset or cable headset or even SPDIF sound. if I reboot and only use cable headset, there will be no issue. I tried 2 different wireless headset (Logitech G933 and Corsair), they both create the same issue. I've replaced the motherboard by a completely different brand (first one was MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk WIFI). Updated bios, drivers, reinstalled windows...
I've tested the RAM twice with memtest86... no issues.

What else could be the issue? Any ideas?

Solution
Actually... I found randomly that the issue happened more often when chrome was open, so I uninstalled it completely. Now I'm using firefox instead and the issue completely disappear with the Logitech headset...

I found a way to reproduce the problem more constantly with the Corsair headset: I open spotify, play a song, then open a browser (tested with firefox, chrome and edge), play a stream on twitch.tv, then I pause-unpause the stream repeatedly. When I do that, the song playing on spotify will stutter and the sound driver will crash after a while.

Anyway, I'm going to use the logitech headset from now on, my problem is resolved.
I could be incredibly wrong, but the fact youre getting problems with 3.5mm, spdif, AND usb makes me question if you have a power issue. What PSU do you have? Bypass any equipment (surge suppressor, UPS) between PC and wall outlet. Try the PC in another room that's on a different circuit. Try another PSU

pwrreset

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
I could be incredibly wrong, but the fact youre getting problems with 3.5mm, spdif, AND usb makes me question if you have a power issue. What PSU do you have? Bypass any equipment (surge suppressor, UPS) between PC and wall outlet. Try the PC in another room that's on a different circuit. Try another PSU

That could be a good think to look at. I am running a subnet through my power lines I was using to stream games to my nvidia shield in the living room. And my 850 watt power supply seems to be barely able to keep up with the 3080 TI.

pwrreset

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
Actually... I found randomly that the issue happened more often when chrome was open, so I uninstalled it completely. Now I'm using firefox instead and the issue completely disappear with the Logitech headset...

I found a way to reproduce the problem more constantly with the Corsair headset: I open spotify, play a song, then open a browser (tested with firefox, chrome and edge), play a stream on twitch.tv, then I pause-unpause the stream repeatedly. When I do that, the song playing on spotify will stutter and the sound driver will crash after a while.

Anyway, I'm going to use the logitech headset from now on, my problem is resolved.

Solution