donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade the following laptop model: Sony Vaio VGN NS30E-S

I opened the laptop and it currently has the following RAM:

Hynix 2GB 2RX8 PC2-6400S (SODIMM DDR2)
Hynix 1GB 2RX16 PC2-6400S (SODIMM DDR2)

I would like to upgrade the RAM if this is possible? If so, what would be the maximum amount of RAM I could install and what specific RAM would be suitable (if you could possibly share any product links that would be great), and would it be better to have two RAM memory sticks or just one larger RAM?

Also, the laptop currently has a 250GB Toshiba SATA Hard Disk and I was wondering if this could be replaced with an SDS (such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-A400-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B01N6JQS8C/)?

Any advice much appreciated.
D

Solution
According to this;
the maximum supported is 8GB but you're working with a DDR2 platform, meaning in a realistic situation, you're only going to be able to drop in 4GB's of ram, meaning a 2x2GB DDR2-800MHz 1.8v dual channel kit.

Your laptop has an ODD, you can replace that with this;
and drop your HDD in that, while the DSSD can go in the original HDD location.

I'd try and make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version prior to upgrading the ram and storage on it.

Lutfij

Titan
According to this;
the maximum supported is 8GB but you're working with a DDR2 platform, meaning in a realistic situation, you're only going to be able to drop in 4GB's of ram, meaning a 2x2GB DDR2-800MHz 1.8v dual channel kit.

I'd try and make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS version prior to upgrading the ram and storage on it.

Solution

Don't know if the above is true, but it says:

The Sony VAIO VGN-NS30E/S Laptop takes the PC2-6400 DDR2-800 200pin SDRAM SODIMM Memory Type, and comes installed with 1GB of Memory. You can upgrade your Sony VAIO VGN-NS30E/S Laptop to up to a maximum memory capacity of 8GB Memory, the system has 2 (2 banks of 1) to install Memory, already with 1GB standard memory installed.

That machine is near 14 years old. I'd wonder if I should spend a dime on it.

The SSD would likely work.

Link below may help:

DaleH

Notable
Mar 24, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade the following laptop model: Sony Vaio VGN NS30E-S

I opened the laptop and it currently has the following RAM:

Hynix 2GB 2RX8 PC2-6400S (SODIMM DDR2)
Hynix 1GB 2RX16 PC2-6400S (SODIMM DDR2)

I would like to upgrade the RAM if this is possible? If so, what would be the maximum amount of RAM I could install and what specific RAM would be suitable (if you could possibly share any product links that would be great), and would it be better to have two RAM memory sticks or just one larger RAM?

Also, the laptop currently has a 250GB Toshiba SATA Hard Disk and I was wondering if this could be replaced with an SDS (such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-A400-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B01N6JQS8C/)?

Any advice much appreciated.
D

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
According to this;

Thank you very much Lutfij!

Do you have any suggestions for where to get extra RAM (ideally in Europe)? It sounds like I could buy a 2GB RAM stick (to replace the 1GB RAM), so there would be 2 x 2GB RAM (total 4GB).

Nice idea with the ODD, had not thought about that. Otherwise, I was thinking to just replace the HDD with an SSD in the same SATA connection (if that is fine).

How do I check and upgrade the laptop to the latest BIOS version? (Sorry, I'm somewhat of a layperson but try to learn some basics).

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
I agree, given the costs, I would say invest in a used laptop with DDR4 at least.
Thanks Eximo. It's just that my family like this laptop (has big screen and great speakers), so would like to upgrade where possible.

Do you have any suggestions for where to get extra RAM (ideally in Europe)? It sounds like I could buy a 2GB RAM stick (to replace the 1GB RAM), so there would be 2 x 2GB RAM (total 4GB).
How do I check and upgrade the laptop to the latest BIOS version?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Don't know if the above is true, but it says:

The Sony VAIO VGN-NS30E/S Laptop takes the PC2-6400 DDR2-800 200pin SDRAM SODIMM Memory Type, and comes installed with 1GB of Memory. You can upgrade your Sony VAIO VGN-NS30E/S Laptop to up to a maximum memory capacity of 8GB Memory, the system has 2 (2 banks of 1) to install Memory, already with 1GB standard memory installed.

That machine is near 14 years old. I'd wonder if I should spend a dime on it.

The SSD would likely work.

Link below may help:

Thanks Lafong.

How do I check and upgrade the laptop to the latest BIOS version?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Typically, 3GB of RAM systems came with 32bit Windows. Unless you have 64bit Windows installed, you will gain nothing by adding system memory. You might see 3.5GB actually show up. Confirm you have 64bit Windows installed before proceeding.

There really isn't a reason to update the BIOS if everything is working for you.

In Europe, most of your big e-tailers will likely have memory for sale. Amazon, ebay, etc. However, I think you are going to find that few places carry DDR2 any longer. Not much sense paying 100 Euro for a 1x4GB stick when you can get an entire used laptop with 4GB of DDR3.

If all you really need is a big screen and decent speakers, might consider a cheap smart TV. There are plenty of 17.3" laptops for a few hundred that would get you vastly more performance.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Typically, 3GB of RAM systems came with 32bit Windows. Unless you have 64bit Windows installed, you will gain nothing by adding system memory. You might see 3.5GB actually show up. Confirm you have 64bit Windows installed before proceeding.

There really isn't a reason to update the BIOS if everything is working for you.

In Europe, most of your big e-tailers will likely have memory for sale. Amazon, ebay, etc. However, I think you are going to find that few places carry DDR2 any longer. Not much sense paying 100 Euro for a 1x4GB stick when you can get an entire used laptop with 4GB of DDR3.

If all you really need is a big screen and decent speakers, might consider a cheap smart TV. There are plenty of 17.3" laptops for a few hundred that would get you vastly more performance.
Thanks very much, Eximo.
Managed to find a cheap 2GB DDR online locally for $10 (inc. delivery) so worked out well. Just waiting for it to arrive. Planning to go with 64-bit Linux OS, so hopefully the 4GB total of RAM will show up.