Question System upgrade with old PSU, will it need upgrading?

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
So I am a long time gamer but currently true budgeteer (family comes first and all that).

I'm upgrading my 750ti to a gtx 960 temporarily whilst I save for a full on upgrade, but need a new case to fit the 960 and I think possibly new PSU too. Any confirmation as to requirement for PSU helpful, as I have gotten differing result on PSU calculators

Specs below:
Intel i5 2500k 3.3ghz
Dq67sw micro Atx mb
16gb ddr3 (2x8)
2x ssd 250 &500gb
1x hdd 500gb WD
Gtx 960 2gb ram (I think, as I got it free off a generous neighbour)
430W ts xfx psu
1x 120mm fan
No led or shiz like that (hate it for late night gaming!)

Going to get the Thermaltake Versa H22 Midi Mesh Tower Case to move everything into.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Is it the Bronze rated TS?
How long have you had it?

If it is, it's not a great quality PSU, so you may need to consider upgrading, especially depending on it's age.
Also be wary on how much that PSU actually delivers on the 12V rails.

Its old, got it in March 2015, bronze rated: XFX TS SERIES (430W) POWER SUPPLY UNIT FULL WIRED (80 PLUS BRONZE CERTIFIED

Can't seem to find the specs online.

Is it safe enough to try, and if experience crashes then upgrade? Or do I risk trashing the GPU if it's under-powered?

Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
They're both awful IMO.
Especially the Aerocool - there are few Aerocool PSUs that are good.

The last thing to ever go cheap on is the PSU.
Just see point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

problem is the XFX was maybe OK, but from what I can see only supplies around 350W on the 12V rail, which is somewhat less than the overall 430W stated. Problem is if it is poor quality, it's not just about crashes, it's also about damage, which cheap poor PSUs often do.

I can't comment the best for the XFX TS Bronze, but my understanding is they are a budget line of not great quality. I would sooner stick with that than choose either of the others you suggested, but you should know that technically you are going below recommended requirements, and that I believe it is not great. But I would definitely choose that over the other 2.

Just all PSUs have a shelf life.

Last edited:
Reactions: deusvolt

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Cheap PSUs use lower grade OEM manufacturers and use cheap components which risk the safety of your other components. And the last thing you should scrimp on, is the component that literally provides direct power to your entire system.

Cheap PSUs = Cheap Components = Risk to your rig.

You can tell a lot about the quality of a PSU by it's warranty.

Anything 3 years and less is concerning and I would probably never touch myself.
Anything 5 years and less is decent enough, but sometimes questionable.
Then you'll have some of the best that can be around 7 to 10+ years.

For example most Seasonics come with 10 or 12 years warranty. Because they arguably are the best. And their units are fantastic quality. For example:

• Corsair VS (poorish quality) = 3 years
  • EVGA B1 series (E.g. 450B - poorish quality) = 3 years
  • Corsair RM (decent quality) = 5 years
  • Seasonic Focus Plus (great quality) = 10 years
  • Corsair AXi (great quality) = 10 years.
  • Aerocool Integrator = 1 year!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
To summarise, would I personally use the XFX you have for an upgraded GPU? No.
But it's probably better than the other 2 you suggested :)

But you are below recommended requirements. You may just want to consider upgrading soon, even just to a Corsair CX. Good quality at a very decent price.

Reactions: deusvolt

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Awesome, thanks. Seems it is a better idea to just sling money at the PSU with the hopes of it having some longevity in a future rig.

I had an EVGA before and it literally blew everything, all fuses in many plugs, which it took me ages to find out that was happening 😂 and EVGA customer service was non-existent (which goes against the trend so I hear).

Something like this might be a good half-way house:
https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/gigabyte-b700h-atx-power-supply/gp-b700h.html

5 year warranty on it too.

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Well if I don't jump for the gigabyte, I'll consider either of the below, Corsair or Seasonic.
I don't want to spend £75 on a PSU when I aim to throw a load of cash at a whole new rig in 1-2 years, so £50 is my ceiling there. I know I'm a tightwad, but I gotta admit, I kinda enjoy it!! ;)

Thanks all, and failing any of my 3 suggestions being wildly inappropriate, I'll do a few review checks and just go with one :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-S...qmt=p&keywords=seasonic&qid=1568915075&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-VS...c&pf_rd_r=5V3E5B60S976TQR23MZS&qid=1568915075

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Well if I don't jump for the gigabyte, I'll consider either of the below, Corsair or Seasonic.
I don't want to spend £75 on a PSU when I aim to throw a load of cash at a whole new rig in 1-2 years, so £50 is my ceiling there. I know I'm a tightwad, but I gotta admit, I kinda enjoy it!! ;)

Thanks all, and failing any of my 3 suggestions being wildly inappropriate, I'll do a few review checks and just go with one :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-S...qmt=p&keywords=seasonic&qid=1568915075&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-VS...c&pf_rd_r=5V3E5B60S976TQR23MZS&qid=1568915075

First of all, the VS, don't even, its an entry level psu, I wouldn't trust that particular series past a 1050 (not ti, unless maybe the mobo draw card) tops.

The Seasonic S12-II at one point was an amazing psu, but it is an older model, and is not certified for newer parts. I would go with a reputable psu from 2017 or later. The CX, TX or RX series from corsair are decent PSUs (though starting to become dated). The focus gold however, is up to code and recent, out performs other popular models such as the CX series and comes with a huge 10 year warranty, which they will honour up to that 10 year point

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
But if all I'm using it for is to run an old GTX 960 (circa 4-5 years old in itself), up to 1050 works for me! :LOL: and I can aim for a more wholesale upgrade in the next 1-2 years, so I think I'll hedge my bets on the cheaper option, and any cash saved goes toward future upgrading.
Alternatively I could just splash on the PSU now, and next year get a new CPU and probably mobo, because other than that I'm kinda set (will probably need new ram as I'm on ddr3 currently)

RE: Corsair CX, if I do, then that's £70, with the case another £30-40, and it rapidly becomes a tonne that I had no real intention of spending. If I am honest, I could do it, but then it goes from a sneaky little cheap upgrade to a bit of a noticeable outlay which seems unreasonable given £100 toward a whole new rig would be a nice dial mover. I had this GTX 960 fall in my lap, and spending £100 just to get it going makes me think I'm better off pretending it never came along :unsure:o_O

Thanks guys, you have been a big help, I will ponder it over the weekend....but I reckon the decent but old seasonic is edging it for me right now.

Reactions: PC Tailor