Aug 22, 2012
Hi

Need suggestion on Processor, MoBo, RAM and SSD

Replacement for:
Some AMD Quad Core
Asus M3A78-EM
4 GB Transcend DDR2

Till now I've upgraded:

1) ATI HD 6770 (Will be upgraded later this year)
2) CM Elite Gaming Cabinet
3) Corsair 500W (Can be upgraded if required)
4) Philips 22" LED FullHD
5) 1 TB WD Green Caviar
6) Razer Lycosa
7) Sony 5.1 Sound System

PC basically will be used for Enternatinment! Gaming, HD Movies, Editing HD Videos, Office purpose (like SQL, Outlook and 3-4 apps running all together). I'm not much of Hardcore gamer, but want the best so that no heavy $ upgrade is required for coming 2-3 years!

I'm thinking of Intel i7-2600k ('k' in case if need OC in future) Please help me out on MoBo (USB 3.0), RAM and SSD 120 GB. Budget $375-400 excluding the processor.

Your guidance and experience is much appreciated!

Later this year upgrade list:
1) iball (Indian manufracturer) Wireless Optical Mouse
2) HD 6770
3) Asus DVD Writer

Thank You :)

Regards
Lovish

Solution
As far as overclocking goes the nice thing about the i5-3570k is that it has the turbo boost and you get this added burst of power when you need it and you don't have to overclock to get it and when you don't need it you go back to stock. I think it's Intel's way of saying you don't need to overclock because I've given you a performance boost when you actually need it and that will help extend the life of the cpu.
So when your done we expect to see pic's.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
$339.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
$149.99 and a $20 rebate makes the final price $129.99.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B
$44.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233196

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit
$119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147134

This would be a good upgrade for you to go with and I don't know if you can get these same prices in India but if you can then this would be a good upgrade.

lovishm

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Thanks inzone!

Yeah prices would be definitely higher than the US & Canada (Economy point of view). Doesn't matter even if manufactured or assembled in China which is more closer to us than the US! Different taxes and Government policies and stuff like that.

1) i7 3770k sounds great, though I'll not be able to upgrade my PC further to this for next 2-3 years. So in case I require OC (Which I doubt to be honest), Ivy bridge processor would not be problem for OC?

http://www.deltapage.com/products/Intel-Core-i7-3770k-ivy-Bridge-Processor-3.5GHz.html

2) Asus P8Z77 V LX is a go!

http://www.deltapage.com/products/Asus-MotherBoard-%252d-P8Z77%252dV-LX.html

3) Corsair is a go (For now 4 GB, another module in December first week)

http://www.deltapage.com/products/Corsair-Vengeance-4GB-DDR3-1600MHz.html

4) Samsung is out of my league :D, Way to expensive in India its for $219 probably because of import taxes or whatever.... Anyway do you suggest Corsair 120 GB for $116?

http://www.deltapage.com/products/Corsair-Force3-SSD-120GB-SATA3-%28Ver-1.2%29-%252d-CSSD%252dF120GB3%252dBK.html

http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=485&Itemid=53

Also came up with another question! Including above all, plus the below:
1) HD 6770
2) 1 Asus DVD Writer
3) 1 TB Green Caviar WD
4) USB Peripherals (Multimedia Keyboard, HD Webam, Mouse +2 Any USB Peripherals)
5) 1*90MM Fan, 2*120 MM LED Fan

will I be able to run my system on Corsair 500W

Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate your help!

lovishm

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Thanks mocchan!

Indeed good spec!

I'll not OC least for now, Cause specs of the upgrade is quite better than actually I need for now, but investments like these are 1 time for quite longer time so why not in the best keeping in mind, the budget . Need unlocked core so that in case if I need to OC my CPU for future use. For now cooling system is not required I guess! Right?

Regards
Lovish

Even though the 3770K has some heat issues the real problems come when voltage is added at the higher levels. So if you overclock up to 4.2 ghz or 4.3 ghz you would b ok with an aftermarket cooler like the CM Hyper 212 Evo. It's when voltage is added to overclock higher than the 4.3 ghz is where the haet issues come in to play. I don't think that you would have to overclock that much to stay current since you would at that point upgrade the video card and gain a good amount of performance.
With the parts that you have listed the 500w psu will be able to rn you computer and if by some chance you were able to get a higher watts psu for the same or slightly higher price that would be a good idea to have a little extra.
The Corsair SSD is a good alternative to the Samsung and will work very well for you.
When getting you ram installed at different times make sure your getting the exact same brand , model , voltage rating , speed and timings , otherwise there could be issues with the ram sticks not working together.

lovishm

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Sure mocchan! I'll keep that in mind. For now I'm on a strict budget :( As most of the people agreed with no cooling system required until OC. So will save some $ for PSU, Graphic Card, Bluray Writer, Mouse and Cooling System.

After I had my new upgrade installed will upload a photo of the rig for you guys :) It would not be tidy as I dont know how to install them! It will be done by local vendor which are not so professional when it comes to putting your heart into the system. Lets see!

Cheers!

lovishm

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Bullseye!

I'll stick with the Ivy then! Yeah OC hardly a case with me cause I doubt that I'll ever need it instead we will do the better GPU.
mhhh About the PSU, ok I'll withdraw some savings then, I'll sell out Corsair 500W. What PSU should I buy, for the specs which we decided and future upgrade +Bluray Drive, and Cooling system if might?

Corsair 120 GB SSD & 4*1 Module DDR3 will be ordered by today evening. Rest I dont trust online Indian shipping companies, All expensive upgrade I'm trying to find out in local market. All good vendors are stating it will take 15 days of time after you place a order! Damn!!!!! Motherboard is available though!

Regarding RAM I'll keep that in mind. Will upload a picture of my rig as soon as its done! Please advise on the PSU :)

Thanks man!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I don't know what brands are available to you but here are a couple of Corsair psu's to look at , if you can swing it a 650w psu should give you enough power to do what you want now and later on if you decide at some point to add a second video card.

lovishm

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Almost every popular and trust worthy brands are available in India.

Alright, So instead of 650W, I'll hook up with 750W-850W (Both are available) Will that be allright to go on higher power, its 1 time investement for longer period, what say? Obviously the series only you mentioned! I'll verify with my vendor if it can fit in the cabinet I've! In case not will get in touch :)

If its a go on Higher PSU which one should I get it from TX series: 750 or 850?

Give me a couple of week. As soon as I assemble all the products we decided. Will upload a pic of my love machine! Cheers mate! Thank a lot for helping me outcome with the final decision!

Regards
Lovish

The thing with the power supply is this , no matter what watts power supply you get the Pc will only use what it needs and the extra will be in reserve if needed. So in the case where you want to only upgrade one time you should get the one you can afford , with the 750w or the 850w being all that you will need either one will be fine. The 750w would give you all the power that you will possably need so you can go with that one.

lovishm

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Longer term investment! I'll never back up upgrading my PC (According to the needs) until something serious situation come up :) Computer and Internet is all I have. Doesn't matter if something stays reserved for a while or forever. My point of view is instead saving few bucks for a year, spend a bit high for long term. I thought of upgrading basic things higher than I actually need right now as sooner or later something new will come up :p, You expert gave a green flag to 750W, then 750 it is!

I never believe in overclocking! Neither I've experience. Its better to get the best in current market, but keep the original thing as it is! (My point of view and I'm not Red Hat neither a hardcore gamer or developer)

So everything is finalized with the help from your expert reviews! I've been doing lot of R and D's but lack technical information! I'll not be able to purchase all things at the same time. Will keep my radar on for getting the stuff within 2 weeks, some stuff online some stuff from local market! Will post you after all things are gathered!

Cheers! Wish me luck mate!

As far as overclocking goes the nice thing about the i5-3570k is that it has the turbo boost and you get this added burst of power when you need it and you don't have to overclock to get it and when you don't need it you go back to stock. I think it's Intel's way of saying you don't need to overclock because I've given you a performance boost when you actually need it and that will help extend the life of the cpu.
So when your done we expect to see pic's.

Solution

lovishm

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Hi Inzone!

I've purchased Crosair Vengeance 4 GB*1 Module and Corsair Force Series SSD 120 GB for OS and Games :) Now my budget is increased for MoBo - Around $250. If you suggest something better than we discussed please let me know. Placed the order for i7 3770k will be in my hand by 15-20 days. PSU is on hold for 30-40 days till I arrange the dingo!

Let me have the MoBo info if you suggest something else under $250.

Also 1 quick question, will I be able to run Solid State Drive on my current config: Asus M3A78-EM and AMD Phenom II? As the upgrade processor will take time to be delievered thought of installing the SSD right away if compatible with the current spec.

Thank you!

Sincerely
Lovish

lovishm

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Its expensive in India, dont know why! Any other option mate?

Also could you please advise if I can run Corsair Force 3 SSD on Asus M3A78-EM being my new processor will take 15-20 days of delievery time :( So cant upgrade rest of the upgrades till processor arrives.

But I think I can do the SSD for the OS, Games and Apps if it will make a difference on the old spec?

lovishm

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Ok, It seems like India only have very high taxes on electronic and import duties! its $289.728 (to be precise) worth in Indian market and US Newegg is giving it only for $207 wow! Anyway thought been troubling you a lot now! How about these (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY) ASRock Xtreme 4 or 6 kind of stuff?

http://www.flipkart.com/asrock-z77-extreme-6-motherboard/p/itmdczynwgtekmee?pid=MBDDCNRE5UYAFUJ2&ref=9a486e8a-c408-4d97-862d-ff3a4852d0e6

Ok I'm not sure about the brackets, I ordered
http://www.flipkart.com/corsair-force-series-3-120-gb-ssd-internal-hard-drive-cssd-f120gb3a-bk/p/itmd5cmgxryjqg7k?pid=IHDD5CMHGK84EC8T&ref=07a5d133-6871-4312-bf81-4b75e4df4a53

Hope it comes with it! Or will buy it online, cause SSD were not available in my local market, so except processor everything was purchased online (Sigh!) Will have someone or will do youtube learning myself on HOW TO INSTALL SSD.

Presently I've CM Elite (Old one which comes with USB 2.0) Cabinet.

Thanks for the heads up mate!

Lovish

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Some come with brackets some don't, check reviews for unboxings. Some cases come with an ssd slot, you can check that as well,but elite are budget cases,that is unlikely.
I would go with the Extreme 4 actually, the extreme 6 has very little to convince paying extra(it's additional features wouldn't come handy unless you're a professional) and actually the extreme 4 is most value for money board right now,costing
less than other boards with similar features.You can also look at msi boards,they're decent. But personally I prefer Asrock,Gigabyte, Asus or sometimes even Sapphire(though only if on sale,the tend to overprice)

Status
Not open for further replies.