System volume is corrupted

Mar 17, 2018
Hello.
My Lenovo laptop got turned off during a startup and now it only gives me the "Start windows normally" and "startup repair" options. It does not boot in any way. Startup repair does nothing but tell my "system volume is corrupted".
I've been searching for many solutions but have encountered only reinstalling windows. Is there other fix to this? If not, is there a way to save important files to an external hard drive?
I'm nowhere close to being a "tech-wizard" and I have many important college essays and other work that I can't lose. Urgent!
Thank you.

Solution

One simple way to do this is:
Set the bios to boot the DVD first.
Recommend shutting off internet before you do this.
Put the Windows disk in the drive and start the...
Mar 17, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ctrlaltelitexz : "System volume is corrupted"

Hello.
My Lenovo laptop got turned off during a startup and now it only gives me the "Start windows normally" and "startup repair" options. It does not boot in any way. Startup repair does nothing but tell my "system volume is corrupted".
I've been searching for many solutions but have encountered only reinstalling windows. Is there other fix to this? If not, is there a way to save important files to an external hard drive?
I'm nowhere close to being a "tech-wizard" and I have many important college essays and other work that I can't lose. Urgent!
Thank you.

friedlander.m.s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2018

One simple way to do this is:
Set the bios to boot the DVD first.
Recommend shutting off internet before you do this.
Put the Windows disk in the drive and start the computer.
Select: "upgrade." follow through and reload the OS.

This will not erase files or programs. But it will fix corruption and get the system up and running.

After that decide if you want windows updates...(I do my updates manually and shut off auto updates)
Reloading the OS will delete any previous windows updates...so if you want to re-install them do so now.

I recommend:
Never install any "free" tool from the internet which claims it will "fix" your computer.
Everything you need (to fix a problem) is already on the windows installation disk.

Solution