System volume loses free space

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system running Windows XP Professional where
the system (boot) drive constantly loses space. This drive is 19GB and after
booting has 16GB free. This drive is only used for system files, Windows and
those things that insist on installing there. Programs are on a different
drive. Swap file, temp files and print spooler are all on a different drive.

I previously had a Dell Dimension 4600 system with a similar configuration
that did not have this problem.

I find now that over a 24 hour period, this drive will go from 16GB free to
under 300MB free.

I have run virus scans and the system is clean. I have also tried turning
off System Restore, with no help. I used a program that shows total sizes of
all folders to compare folder (and file) sizes after a reboot, and later on.

I found that from yesterday afternoon when I booted and had 16GB free to
this morning when I was down to 299MB free, there was NO significant change
in size of any folders or files. Obviously whatever is causing this is
hidden (and not a hidden file or folder, I have those displayed).

Does anyone have any clues as to what to look for? Thanks.

Cyndee, check for Trojans, Spyware and Adware. Use these sites.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://safespy.net/Spyware_Hunter.htm

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

http://spybot-spyware.com/trojan.htm

http://www.spysweeper.com/

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/

"Cyndee Meystel" <cmeys@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system running Windows XP Professional where
> the system (boot) drive constantly loses space. This drive is 19GB and
after
> booting has 16GB free. This drive is only used for system files, Windows
and
> those things that insist on installing there. Programs are on a different
> drive. Swap file, temp files and print spooler are all on a different
drive.

> I previously had a Dell Dimension 4600 system with a similar configuration
> that did not have this problem.
>
> I find now that over a 24 hour period, this drive will go from 16GB free
> under 300MB free.
>
> I have run virus scans and the system is clean. I have also tried turning
> off System Restore, with no help. I used a program that shows total sizes
of
> all folders to compare folder (and file) sizes after a reboot, and later
on.

> I found that from yesterday afternoon when I booted and had 16GB free to
> this morning when I was down to 299MB free, there was NO significant
change
> in size of any folders or files. Obviously whatever is causing this is
> hidden (and not a hidden file or folder, I have those displayed).
>
> Does anyone have any clues as to what to look for? Thanks.

Thanks Rich. I will look at those sites. I do run Spybot regularly.

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Cyndee, check for Trojans, Spyware and Adware. Use these sites.
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> http://safespy.net/Spyware_Hunter.htm
>
> http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
>
> http://spybot-spyware.com/trojan.htm
>
> http://www.spysweeper.com/
>
> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
>
> "Cyndee Meystel" <cmeys@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system running Windows XP Professional
where
> > the system (boot) drive constantly loses space. This drive is 19GB and
> after
> > booting has 16GB free. This drive is only used for system files, Windows
> and
> > those things that insist on installing there. Programs are on a
different
> > drive. Swap file, temp files and print spooler are all on a different
> drive.
> >
> > I previously had a Dell Dimension 4600 system with a similar
configuration
> > that did not have this problem.
> >
> > I find now that over a 24 hour period, this drive will go from 16GB free
> > under 300MB free.
> >
> > I have run virus scans and the system is clean. I have also tried
turning
> > off System Restore, with no help. I used a program that shows total
sizes
> of
> > all folders to compare folder (and file) sizes after a reboot, and later
> on.
> >
> > I found that from yesterday afternoon when I booted and had 16GB free to
> > this morning when I was down to 299MB free, there was NO significant
> change
> > in size of any folders or files. Obviously whatever is causing this is
> > hidden (and not a hidden file or folder, I have those displayed).
> >
> > Does anyone have any clues as to what to look for? Thanks.

Will, Rich, I have gone through and run all of these programs suggested. A
few spyware items were fonud (5) and eliminated, but it didn't help.
Overnite, my system went from 12GB free (down from 16GB at boot) to 5GB
free, with only a backup, a defrag and a virus scan running overnite.

Cyndee Meystel

"Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Cyndee, check for Trojans, Spyware and Adware. Use these sites.
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> http://safespy.net/Spyware_Hunter.htm
>
> http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
>
> http://spybot-spyware.com/trojan.htm
>
> http://www.spysweeper.com/
>
> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
>
> "Cyndee Meystel" <cmeys@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system running Windows XP Professional
where
> > the system (boot) drive constantly loses space. This drive is 19GB and
> after
> > booting has 16GB free. This drive is only used for system files, Windows
> and
> > those things that insist on installing there. Programs are on a
different
> > drive. Swap file, temp files and print spooler are all on a different
> drive.
> >
> > I previously had a Dell Dimension 4600 system with a similar
configuration
> > that did not have this problem.
> >
> > I find now that over a 24 hour period, this drive will go from 16GB free
> > under 300MB free.
> >
> > I have run virus scans and the system is clean. I have also tried
turning
> > off System Restore, with no help. I used a program that shows total
sizes
> of
> > all folders to compare folder (and file) sizes after a reboot, and later
> on.
> >
> > I found that from yesterday afternoon when I booted and had 16GB free to
> > this morning when I was down to 299MB free, there was NO significant
> change
> > in size of any folders or files. Obviously whatever is causing this is
> > hidden (and not a hidden file or folder, I have those displayed).
> >
> > Does anyone have any clues as to what to look for? Thanks.

How about the P virtual memeory page file? XP handles it automatically and
the file can expand.

> Will, Rich, I have gone through and run all of these programs suggested. A
> few spyware items were fonud (5) and eliminated, but it didn't help.
> Overnite, my system went from 12GB free (down from 16GB at boot) to 5GB
> free, with only a backup, a defrag and a virus scan running overnite.
>
> Cyndee Meystel
>
> "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Cyndee, check for Trojans, Spyware and Adware. Use these sites.
> > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> >
> > http://safespy.net/Spyware_Hunter.htm
> >
> > http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
> >
> > http://spybot-spyware.com/trojan.htm
> >
> > http://www.spysweeper.com/
> >
> > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
> >
> > "Cyndee Meystel" <cmeys@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system running Windows XP Professional
> where
> > > the system (boot) drive constantly loses space. This drive is 19GB and
> > after
> > > booting has 16GB free. This drive is only used for system files,
Windows
> > and
> > > those things that insist on installing there. Programs are on a
> different
> > > drive. Swap file, temp files and print spooler are all on a different
> > drive.
> > >
> > > I previously had a Dell Dimension 4600 system with a similar
> configuration
> > > that did not have this problem.
> > >
> > > I find now that over a 24 hour period, this drive will go from 16GB
free
> > > under 300MB free.
> > >
> > > I have run virus scans and the system is clean. I have also tried
> turning
> > > off System Restore, with no help. I used a program that shows total
> sizes
> > of
> > > all folders to compare folder (and file) sizes after a reboot, and
later
> > on.
> > >
> > > I found that from yesterday afternoon when I booted and had 16GB free
> > > this morning when I was down to 299MB free, there was NO significant
> > change
> > > in size of any folders or files. Obviously whatever is causing this is
> > > hidden (and not a hidden file or folder, I have those displayed).
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any clues as to what to look for? Thanks.

I have that set to a different drive.

> How about the P virtual memeory page file? XP handles it automatically
and
> the file can expand.
>
> "Cyndee Meystel" <cmeys@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Will, Rich, I have gone through and run all of these programs suggested.
> > few spyware items were fonud (5) and eliminated, but it didn't help.
> > Overnite, my system went from 12GB free (down from 16GB at boot) to 5GB
> > free, with only a backup, a defrag and a virus scan running overnite.
> >
> > Cyndee Meystel
> >
> > "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Cyndee, check for Trojans, Spyware and Adware. Use these sites.
> > > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> > >
> > > http://safespy.net/Spyware_Hunter.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
> > >
> > > http://spybot-spyware.com/trojan.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.spysweeper.com/
> > >
> > > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
> > >
> > > "Cyndee Meystel" <cmeys@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > where
> > > after
> Windows
> > > and
> > different
> > > drive.

> > configuration

> free

> > turning
> > sizes
> > > of
> later
> > > on.

> > > change

Cyndee, go here http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp and
download Window Watcher, Drive Info and Disk Slack Checker. They are all
free and use them at the end of a day's
work. See what shows up.
"Cyndee Meystel" <cmeys@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system running Windows XP Professional where
> the system (boot) drive constantly loses space. This drive is 19GB and
after
> booting has 16GB free. This drive is only used for system files, Windows
and
> those things that insist on installing there. Programs are on a different
> drive. Swap file, temp files and print spooler are all on a different
drive.

> I previously had a Dell Dimension 4600 system with a similar configuration
> that did not have this problem.
>
> I find now that over a 24 hour period, this drive will go from 16GB free
> under 300MB free.
>
> I have run virus scans and the system is clean. I have also tried turning
> off System Restore, with no help. I used a program that shows total sizes
of
> all folders to compare folder (and file) sizes after a reboot, and later
on.

> I found that from yesterday afternoon when I booted and had 16GB free to
> this morning when I was down to 299MB free, there was NO significant
change
> in size of any folders or files. Obviously whatever is causing this is
> hidden (and not a hidden file or folder, I have those displayed).
>
> Does anyone have any clues as to what to look for? Thanks.

Okay, will do, thanks.

> Cyndee, go here http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp
and
> download Window Watcher, Drive Info and Disk Slack Checker. They are
all
> free and use them at the end of a day's
> work. See what shows up.
> "Cyndee Meystel" <cmeys@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system running Windows XP Professional
where
> > the system (boot) drive constantly loses space. This drive is 19GB and
> after
> > booting has 16GB free. This drive is only used for system files, Windows
> and
> > those things that insist on installing there. Programs are on a
different
> > drive. Swap file, temp files and print spooler are all on a different
> drive.
> >
> > I previously had a Dell Dimension 4600 system with a similar
configuration
> > that did not have this problem.
> >
> > I find now that over a 24 hour period, this drive will go from 16GB free
> > under 300MB free.
> >
> > I have run virus scans and the system is clean. I have also tried
turning
> > off System Restore, with no help. I used a program that shows total
sizes
> of
> > all folders to compare folder (and file) sizes after a reboot, and later
> on.
> >
> > I found that from yesterday afternoon when I booted and had 16GB free to
> > this morning when I was down to 299MB free, there was NO significant
> change
> > in size of any folders or files. Obviously whatever is causing this is
> > hidden (and not a hidden file or folder, I have those displayed).
> >
> > Does anyone have any clues as to what to look for? Thanks.

To all those here who have been so helpful, I though that you'd like to know
that I've fixed the problem.

Thanks to someone in the Anandtech.com Tech Support Forum, I've found the
solution.

It was a misconfigured BootVis (Microsoft's optimization tool). Its trace
had obviously been interrupted so that it never properly finished and was
constantly running and and accummulating data. Once its tracing was stopped,
the problem was fixed.

Thank you all for your help.

--
Cyndee Meystel