Question system will boot with 2 sticks of memory but not 4 - GA-Z97X-SLI, G.skill ripjaws z DDR3 2400 XMP ready 1.65V, i7-4970k, GTX1060 6GB,750W psu

Apr 6, 2019
I have 4 identical sticks of memory. They all function in any combination in channel A. If I install all 4 the computer fails to boot.
Gigabyte has a bios update for this motherboard that deals with memory issues. I'm a bit hesitant to update the BIOS for fear of bricking the motherboard.
This board has Dual BIOS that should give the option to go back to the previous BIOS version, but I wanted to explore other avenues first.

While use of same thing, exact match, identical memory may increase your chances of having memory working together over the use of random modules, such combinations have no guarantee to work together.

Use of memory modules sold as Singles have no guarantee to work in any configuration other than as a Single module.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Kits of two and four are commonly sold. They have already been tested together and are guaranteed to be compatible together.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The bios update might be mandatory here. If you download the bios for the right version of the motherboard you have should you have no worries. Mention this because Gigabyte sometimes has more revisions of the same motherboard.
Just put the unpacked bios file on an empty usb stick (fat32) and look for the update tool in the bios,follow the steps. Don't interrupt until finished!

Also might need to raise the voltage for the memory controller,

To locate the MC voltage, look for something like CPUVTT, DDRVTT, QPI/VTT or VCCIO. Some motherboards incorporate the MC voltage into the system agent voltage or VCCSA; this is seen most often in LGA 2011. Exercise caution by checking to see what other users have found to be safe and beneficial.
comes from the next article,
DDR DRAM FAQs And Troubleshooting Guide
may have some other things to try in it.

Apr 6, 2019
The bios update might be mandatory here. If you download the bios for the right version of the motherboard you have should you have no worries. Mention this because Gigabyte sometimes has more revisions of the same motherboard.
Just put the unpacked bios file on an empty usb stick (fat32) and look for the update tool in the bios,follow the steps. Don't interrupt until finished!

Also might need to raise the voltage for the memory controller,

comes from the next article,
DDR DRAM FAQs And Troubleshooting Guide
may have some other things to try in it.

Apr 6, 2019
Finally got around to flashing the latest bios. It supposedly was suppose to fix memory issues among other things. In addition to the bios update I bumped the memory voltage up to 1.7V. System still won't boot with 4 sticks of memory. I'm at a loss.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looked at the Memory controler too? MIght even need an overclock on the cpu to get it stable. And just maybe it will just not work.

You said you had four identical stick of ram,but also from one package/kit? If not might that be the reason.

If your ram is not all from the same matched kit, it is not truly identical.

The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

What is your motherboard and processor?

Apr 6, 2019
gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, i7-4790k. The previous owner was running all 4 sticks of memory. I talked to tech at gigabyte. She said if I can't boot with a single stick in either slot of the B channel then there is a bent pin in the CPU socket. I checked and no bent pins. I can boot with 1 stick in either slot of the A channel and both slots filled in the A channel. Neither slot works in the B channel.

TRENDING THREADS