[SOLVED] System will no longer boot with old memory after adding video card

Nov 13, 2021
The system will no longer boot with the memory that was in it before. Its a Gigabyte GAZ77 wifi. I had 16gb Kingston Memory, built in video, everything worked fine. I added a Quardo K1200 and the system wouldn't boot at all. I removed the K1200 and the system still wouldn't boot. So I tried resetting the CMOS. Still wouldn't boot. Tried everything. Tried another CPU, still wouldn't boot. Eventually tried a different stick of kingston memory, just lower speed, and the system booted fine. System will also not boot with any combination of the old memory and new memory in any combination of slots. Tried another default values reset today, still will not boot whatsoever with the old memory. Not even with the built in graphics card. No combination of the old memory either, neither stick in either slot. What could possibly be happening here? I've been using computers for 30 years and I cannot for the life of me figure this out. Did the memory get fried?

Solution
I've been using computers for 30 years...
and you've never run into memory or memory controllers spontaneously malfunctioning or failing?
you've been more than lucky then.

if you've tried each module in each DIMM slot individually and none of the combinations respond,
and a different kit does work in each slot,
i'd say this older set just gave out.

whether it's just a coincidence that it happened now or joggling the motherboard while installing the card caused same damage to the modules would be near to impossible to determine.
try this older kit in another system and see if they respond there. i've seen stranger things...
I've been using computers for 30 years...
and you've never run into memory or memory controllers spontaneously malfunctioning or failing?

if you've tried each module in each DIMM slot individually and none of the combinations respond,

whether it's just a coincidence that it happened now or joggling the motherboard while installing the card caused same damage to the modules would be near to impossible to determine.
try this older kit in another system and see if they respond there. i've seen stranger things...

Solution
Nov 13, 2021

So no I've never seen 2 sticks of RAM fail at the exact same time. It's super weird. I don't have another system to test them with though. I will in a couple days but at the moment I don't. It's a bummer because I only had an 8gb DIMM to put back and so now I only have 8 instead of 16. And it's not the video card because even without it in the system now it won't boot with either stck.

TRENDING THREADS