Question System will not boot with 4 sticks of RAM at XMP speed

KainArkanos

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
So I just bought a second kit of 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CL14 3200 MHz RAM to compliment my existing set, with model F4-3200C14D-16GTZR. Upon attempting to boot with the kit, I'm met with Qcode AC on my Asus Maximus X Code, which I'm led to believe is a memory related error as that's the only thing I changed. Of course I've tried the various normal troubleshooting steps of testing each ram stick one by one, testing every slot, testing the known good pair in both A and B channels, and testing the new kit also the same way. Every which way, it booted just fine under XMP for its 14-14-14-34 3200 MHz setup, but only with all 4 sticks installed it wouldn't boot, even with trying to up the memory voltage ever so slightly just to see if that was an issue. After that, I tried just slowing the memory down to 3000 MHz and it booted just fine. I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem where every stick of memory is completely fine and will run at their rated speeds, but just won't boot in a 4 DIMM setup at their proper speeds.

Full system setup is:
CPU: i7-8700k @ 5 GHz
CPU Cooler: Swiftech Drive X3 360
RAM: 4x8 G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14D-16GTZR

GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1300
Storage: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB, 1x Samsung 960 Evo 500 GB

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Combining multiple kits often causes the memory to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications.

Workarounds to get extra memory to work include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Increase DRAM voltage

Use of exact match, same thing, identical have no guarantee to be compatible together. Such combinations may increase your chances of memory working together over the use of random modules.