[SOLVED] System will not post. 5 Beeps and VGA LED on.

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
Upon power up the motherboard lights/fans come on. CPU cooler light comes on. I get five beeps and the VGA LED stays on. The motherboard board lights and cpu cooler lights/fan remain on. After 10-15 seconds the five beeps repeat. The GPU fans never turn on.

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi (new)
CPU : i5-9600kf (new)
GPU : Zotac RTX 2060 Super (new)
RAM : G Skill Ripjaw V 2400 2x8gb (reuse)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i (reuse)
PSU : Corsair RM850x (new)

Reset the CMOS. Removed/reseated the CPU and GPU power cables. Tried different outputs on the PSU (Modular PSU). Removed/reseated the 24pin pwr cable. Tried adding 4 pin CPU pwr cable in addition to the 8 pin. Tried another power supply! I've tried with single RAM sticks alternately. Tried another graphics card (GTX1070). Removed the CPU to check the pins. Built the system up outside the case. Same result every time.

Pulled out an older Asus Z170 mobo I had and was able to confirm the PSU, GPU, and RAM are ok. The system booted up just fine. I'm all out of ideas.

Solution
The CPU could be bad. Generally speaking the PCIe 1 slot is direct access to the CPU and the others run over the chipset.
Turned out to be incompatible memory. I thought DD4 and compatible speed was enough. Got some sticks to the letter on the QVL and I'm up an running. Won't make that mistake again.
Upon power up the motherboard lights/fans come on. CPU cooler light comes on. I get five beeps and the VGA LED stays on. The motherboard board lights and cpu cooler lights/fan remain on. After 10-15 seconds the five beeps repeat. The GPU fans never turn on.

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi (new)
CPU : i5-9600kf (new)
GPU : Zotac RTX 2060 Super (new)
RAM : G Skill Ripjaw V 2400 2x8gb (reuse)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i (reuse)
PSU : Corsair RM850x (new)

Reset the CMOS. Removed/reseated the CPU and GPU power cables. Tried different outputs on the PSU (Modular PSU). Removed/reseated the 24pin pwr cable. Tried adding 4 pin CPU pwr cable in addition to the 8 pin. Tried another power supply! I've tried with single RAM sticks alternately. Tried another graphics card (GTX1070). Removed the CPU to check the pins. Built the system up outside the case. Same result every time.

Pulled out an older Asus Z170 mobo I had and was able to confirm the PSU, GPU, and RAM are ok. The system booted up just fine. I'm all out of ideas.
Check your motherboard manual for beep codes, usually in the troubleshooting section, that coincidence with what you are hearing.

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
I just did another test that i think cinches the Z390 as the problem. I moved the GPU from the PCIe x16 slot to the PCIe x8 slot and the system booted up just fine. Moved it back to the PCIe x16 slot and the 5 beeps/no post is back.

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
I received a replacement board and it is giving the same problem! Is it possible my CPU is bad even though the system works fine if the GPU is in PCI slot 2?

Is it possible this board is not compatible with the i-5-9600kf even though its on the QVL list?

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
The CPU could be bad. Generally speaking the PCIe 1 slot is direct access to the CPU and the others run over the chipset.
Turned out to be incompatible memory. I thought DD4 and compatible speed was enough. Got some sticks to the letter on the QVL and I'm up an running. Won't make that mistake again.

Solution