System will not post with correct memory clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlotm8938

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I recently upgraded to Ivy Bridge with an I7-3770k CPU, Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo, and G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866 memory. I installed those in a system that is running a Thermaltake Toughpower 1475 watt PSU, and 2x GTX 580s in SLI. Mobo is running BIOS version 1206. I have done some basic Google searches and some basic troubleshooting, but have had not success in either.

For the last 2 weeks or so, I have had the A.I. Overclock Tuner BIOS setting set to X.M.P. This allowed the BIOS to automatically detect the correct speed/timings for the memory (DDR3-1866, 9-10-9-28), as apposed to the "auto" setting which set the memory to a speed of only DDR3-1600.

Starting yesterday morning, the system will no longer post with the X.M.P. setting (memory set to DDR3-1866), and the diagnostic lights on the motherboard indicate the problem is in the memory. If I set the A.I. Overclock Tuner setting to "auto" (memory set to DDR3-1600), the system will post and boot correctly. I know this problem may come across as petty, but I paid for DDR3-1866 memory, and would like to get the performance that I paid for.

If anyone has seen any similar problems I would really appreciate hearing your solutions.

Thanks everyone!

Solution
There's nothing 'missing' in the BIOS, many of the 'settings' are made available by other BIOS settings like a branch in the road revealing additional options.

IMO if you're going to RMA then add to the package the RAM. Also if going to ASUS then 7/10 you'll get a refurbished MOBO in return and to expedite request a 'Cross Ship.'

Good luck!
Some of those kits also require a VCCSA -> Manual and VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v~1.25v in addition to AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and Profile 1. Keep in mind, long-term a VCCSA isn't really 'good' for the CPU but a 1.20v is the max safe voltage.

Q - What exact "G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1866" kit? And how many kits? ; please provide a link.

I'm assuming the F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR and if correct and with (1) one kit then:

BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and Profile 1
VCCSA -> Manual
VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v

zlotm8938

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008

Thanks for the quick reply! Your assumption is correct. I am using (1) one kit of F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR.

I will give this a shot when I get a chance to see if that is the problem. As you said, "long-term a VCCSA isn't really 'good' for the CPU", so I probably will not keep it set that way.

Somewhat disappointed though. I bought these parts hoping to do some overclocking (I know IB has some OC issues when you get past 4.5GHz or so), and now it would seem that I cant do any... :( . Maybe I got a faulty piece of hardware, but the thought of having to tear down my computer to RMA something is way more work than overclocking is worth to me right now.

If the RAM is stable with no CPU OC then it's not the RAM, and instead it's a problem with the OC itself but the tweaks listed below should fix you up.

The ASUS has very good BIOS control, and with an OC I would add the following to your 'OC' settings and implement DRAM and if available VCCSA Phase control.

BIOS:
DRAM Current Capability -> 120%
DRAM Power Phase Control -> Optimized
CPU VCCSA Voltage -> Manual
CPU VCCSA Manual Voltage -> 1.10v~1.20v

If available add these, but I did see these controls listed in the manual:

VCCSA Load-Line Calibration -> Regular
VCCSA Current Capability -> 120%

zlotm8938

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008

I just tried applying these settings, and I'm sad to say the motherboard did the same thing (no post, diagnostic led indicating memory error). I am starting to think that there is a problem with my motherboard. When I received the board, there was no tape or any anything on the box (as if I had been sent an openbox item). I called and was credited for the difference, but I'm starting to think that I should have RMAed it instead.

Thank you for all your help. I may try overclocking again down the road, but for now I'm just going to leave the system at stock settings and hope it doesn't completely fail.

zlotm8938

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Everything seems to work fine when using the system defaults... but that's not why I bought the parts that I did, I bought them because all the reviews said that they overclock well.

Anyway... I gave up on overclocking the memory for now, and I was going to at least try and do a minor overclock on the cpu. But for some reason I cannot increase the CPU ratio beyond 35. I have tried changing several settings (never actually saved any of them), and nothing I do will allow me to set the CPU multiplier beyond 35. That's the whole reason I bought a K series CPU... and now it won't work. Something is seriously messed up here, and I'm hoping it's not all me.

Other than RAM in this section I don't generally do OC'ing threads, but if you post ALL of your settings then I'll give you some direction.

IF the following fails then I'd say it's your RAM and not the CPU.

BIOS:
F5
VCCSA -> Manual
VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v
F10 and Yes

zlotm8938

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
After some more research, it turns out this problem does go well beyond a few incorrect settings. There are options that are missing from the AI Tweaker section of the bios, and only the primary PCI-Ex16 will detect a graphics card (settings are correct in bios). Based on some other conversations I have had in other forums, I am RMAing the board.

Thanks again for all your help!

There's nothing 'missing' in the BIOS, many of the 'settings' are made available by other BIOS settings like a branch in the road revealing additional options.

IMO if you're going to RMA then add to the package the RAM. Also if going to ASUS then 7/10 you'll get a refurbished MOBO in return and to expedite request a 'Cross Ship.'

Good luck!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.