System will not post

Belteshazzar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No Post. Athlon 500 system with SD11 MB DEAD. Was working fine before sound card got real low sound during a Quake3 game.
Did restart and got a Hangup, both the power and IDE LED,s
came on and stayd on but with no post... Fans (including CPU fan) would power up.
After second power down and reset, LED,s would no longer come on,
but the fans still power up after I
push the power switch. The switch will not do a power off so I
have to turn off the main switch on the back of the power supply .
Things tried; 1. reset cmos 2. replaced cmos battery 3.reseated all cards , memory , & CPU.
4. Removed all cards and tried a known good video card and monitor. 5. unplugged all extra
fans & drives from power supply. Could flaky +5 voltage output cause this problem?
I don't have any extra power supplies but did check to make sure I at least had +5v & +12v dc,
. Would like to avoid purchasing parts
without first solving this if posible.
Could someone tell me if these symptomes most likely indicate a bad main board,
CPU , or power supply? Or am I over looking somthing here? A reply
BEFORE I break somthing would be greatly apreciated... :)

No Post. Athlon 500 system with SD11 MB DEAD. Was working fine before Sound crash .Volume got real low but was still normal by the volume control.
Did reset and got a LED case Hangup, both the power and IDE LED,s
came on and stayd on but with no post... Fans (including CPU fan) would power up.
After second power down and reset, LED,s would no longer come on.
Now the LED,s will NOT come on but the fans still power up after I
push the front power switch. The switch will not do a power off so I
have to turn off the main switch on the back of the power supply to turn it off.
Things tried; 1. reset cmos 2. replaced cmos battery 3.reseated all cards , memory , & CPU.
4. Removed all cards and tried a known good video card and monitor. 5. unplugged all extra
fans & drives from power supply. Could flaky +5 voltage output cause this problem?
I don't have any extra power supplies but did check to make sure I at least had +5 & +12 dc,
No Post. Athlon 500 system with SD11 MB DEAD. Was working fine before Soundcard volume suddenly got really low . I checked the software volume control and it was still at a normal level.
Did restart and got a LED case Hangup, both the power and IDE LED,s
After second power down and reset, LED,s would no longer come on.
Now the LED,s will NOT come on but the fans still power up after I
push the power switch. The switch will not do a power off so I
have to turn off the main switch on the back of the power supply to turn it off.
I don't have any extra power supplies but did check to make sure I at least had +5 & +12 dc,

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No real way to tell without checking the components in another system. Sounds like a power supply but cannot really be sure. Hopefully that is the case it is the cheapest. From most to least likely I would guess the following.
1) Power supply
2) Mainboard
3) CPU
4) Sound card

The fact that expeiranced anomalties with sound before the crash may make it worth your while to try the system without the sound card. Make sure to pull the plug from the wall that goes to your power supply for a couple of minutes, most atx power supplies have protection circuitry that can only be reset this way.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Belteshazzar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sound card is not the problem now. though it could have started it all i guess. I pulled the sound, video , NIC & modem cards out. Also tried to boot with and without additional drives. Still dead. Guess I'll go buy another 300w power supply. Thanks for the help.

TazMo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It could be all the probelms you're looking at. I would would think that it's the MOBO. The ATX switch on the front runs through the motherboard, so that failed attempt at life after the Q3 session would make me think MOBO or CPU. The sound card is in a slot on the board as well as the power switch connected to the board, so MOBO. Most power supply failures that I've seen are sort of catastrophic. i.e. they quit working and won't work again period. I've had some zorched RAM cause a similar problem to yours, computer fans come on LEDs light but it just sits there looking stupid and to KILL it you had to yank it from the wall. Too bad you don't have an extra power supply. I would think motherboard,CPU then power supply. But a bad or malfunctioning PSU could have killed the motherboard. So it's a toss up with the PSU. I would look at the RAM as well.