Question System will not power on, worked all last week and yesterday

muddster89

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Good Morning everyone,

Having a little issue at the moment when my PC will not power on. Here are the TS steps I have already taken.

1.) Did a power self test of the PSU with nothing plugged in, PASSED.
2.) Plugged in each connector 1 by 1 and doing a self test, self test FAILS on plugging in the 6+2 connector from the 24PIN plug.
3.) Swapped to a different 24pin connector still FAILS.
4.) Left the 6+2pin unplugged and Self tested with all other connectors plugged in; PASSED
5.) Swapped to another AX1200i i had on hand still same issue; This is a known good AX1200i because its what I am using on the PC i am typing this from.
6.) Disconnected all none essentials, USB,peripherals connectors from the case , PSU will still self test fine until i plug in the 6+2 pin connector to the PSU.
7.) No error codes are being thrown on the MOBO on the digit display.
8.) when the 6+2 connector is plugged in the Self Test fails and the PSU clicks but nothing cycles.

Build is https://builds.gg/builds/cold-blooded-19328

The system worked perfectly fine yesterday and the last entire week. I shut it down because I was going to busy and wouldnt be able to get on it for a bit. Came in this morning to boot it up like normal and nothing.

My current guess based on the symptoms is a grounded MOBO or a failed MOBO connector. This is a full water cooled build and is going to be a PITA to uninstall from the Case to do a proper benchtest so i am trying to find a solution to find where it would be grounding without removing it from the case. There is no liquid spilled anywhere and I can not see and corrosion on the MOBO, or burn spots where it could have shorted.

Thanks in advanced.

Lutfij

Titan
It's times like this where you wish you didn't have a nicely plumped watercooling build that also looked amazing. One of the drawbacks of doing a custom watercooling build.

Perhaps the GPU is the issue here as that is what's causing the PSU to not power up. Perhaps see if the PSU can handle a discrete GPU without supplemntal power and one with supplemental power? To rule out a GPU and/or the cable and/or the PSU.

muddster89

Honorable
May 19, 2013
The 6+2 pin is part of the 24pin connector, its not routing to the GPU anywhere, i can plug the GPU power cables in perfectly fine and run the selftest on the PSU. The 24pin connector is all 1 piece when it plugs into the morherboard but splits into 2pieces when it reaches the PSU on the AX1100i, so i need to do a little more investigating when i get home to figure out what those 8 pins actually power. I just assume its the mobo since all other pieces have thier own connectors

TRENDING THREADS