[SOLVED] System will only recognize boot drive

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I have tried 3 different SSD’s two of them are SATA and on of them is nvme, and I can’t get the bios to recognize any of them. System boots and runs just fine off the boot drive and I just want to add another drive.
I have literally tried everything I know to do. Secure boot is disabled, CSM is disabled. Two of the SSD’s are brand new. I can move the boot nvme to any slot on the motherboard and system will boot from it.
It has be some setting or something I’m missing but I’m at wits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it’s a gigabyte gaming x z690
I7-12700k
Intel 660p ssd is the current boot drive
Tried adding a T-force Vulcan to store games on
Tried adding a WD-black SN850 won’t

neither will show up in the bios

Solution
I have tried 3 different SSD’s two of them are SATA and on of them is nvme, and I can’t get the bios to recognize any of them.
So T-force Vulcan - is 2.5"sata drive. Correct?
If you have M.2 NVME drive installed in lowest M.2 slot (M2M_SB), then sata ports SATA3_2, SATA3_3 get disabled.
You can not use 2.5" sata drive in those ports.

And turn off Fast Boot in BIOS.
This option prevents detection of secondary drives (drives, you're not boooting from) until windows is loaded.
I have tried 3 different SSD’s two of them are SATA and on of them is nvme, and I can’t get the bios to recognize any of them.
If you have M.2 NVME drive installed in lowest M.2 slot (M2M_SB), then sata ports SATA3_2, SATA3_3 get disabled.

This option prevents detection of secondary drives (drives, you're not boooting from) until windows is loaded.

Solution

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019

yes it is a 2.5 but I couldn't get it to recognize in any SATA port either so I thought it might have been bad even though it was brand new. I tried ebery SATA slot at the time because I had read in my motherboard manual that having an M.2 would disable certain ones but I never could get it to work. fast forward to now I dont have it hooked up anymore. The only drives hooked up are my intel 660p in the second M.2 slot and the WD black SN850 in the first ( previously the intel 660p was in the first and working fine so I know the slot is good). I can switch them around and the intel with windows on it is always recognized but I cant get the system to recognize any other drive in any other slot or configurations. also fast boot is disabled and the drives do not show up in windows either.

Last edited:

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
What PSU are you using? Is it modular?
Are you using original modular cables with it?

Using wrong/incompatible modular cables can kill devices connected.
Thats originally what I was worried about with the SATA ssd's I tried but those are no longer installed only the two NVME drives are installed the drive I want to use is brand new out of the box today.

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
What is model name of your new PSU ?
What is model name of your old PSU ?
Are they both modular?
Are you absolutely sure, you replaced all modular cables from old PSU?

new PSU is an EVGA GP superNOVA 1000W ATX 80 gold
old PSU is an EVGA 850 GQ gold
new one is modular old one is semi modular
i am absolutly sure I used all the new cables

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
This morning I took out the intel 660p from the first m.2 slot where it was functioning perfectly, I installed it into the second m.2 slot and installed the WD black SN850 into the first slot (the same one the intel was literally just in and working perfectly). The new WD out of the box is not recognized in the exact same slot the intel was just in, but the intel is recognized in the second slot. Why would a brand new NVME not be recognized in a slot that was literally just working 5 min before I installed it?

The new WD out of the box is not recognized in the exact same slot the intel was just in, but the intel is recognized in the second slot. Why would a brand new NVME not be recognized in a slot that was literally just working 5 min before I installed it?
Can you elaborate - what are you calling "not being recognized"?
Where are you looking?
Can you show any screenshots? (upload to imgur.com and post link)

If you're looking into boot priority list, then in UEFI mode only drives with bootloader (windows installed) will appear there.

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Set CSM to enabled.
Turn off Fast Boot.
Check sata controller mode. It has to be set to AHCI (not Intel RST).
M.2 drive has to be detected in BIOS first.

After that, if still doesn't appear in windows, then
check windows storage spaces in windows.
If I turn on CSM it doesn’t boot, I get a post but no boot into windows. Having trouble finding the sata controller mode in this bios, I don’t see it anywhere.

Tobaewan

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
If I turn on CSM it doesn’t boot, I get a post but no boot into windows. Having trouble finding the sata controller mode in this bios, I don’t see it anywhere.
Ok was able to get it to boot with CSM enabled just had to disable some boot priority option, so it now boots with CSM enabled but the drive it still not there