[SOLVED] System with Asus B450-I does not display output -- help revive my baby!

Jul 25, 2021
Hi Everyone, I have quite the problem that I can't quite solve. I left town for about 10 days and left my computer on sleep/hibernate. Normally, my computer wakes when I press a keyboard / move mouse. Instead of moving the mouse, I pressed the power button thinking that it was off, and it seemed to "wake up", but there was no display output. I tried holding the power button, but it doesn't turn off the computer. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the system to display anything .

My specs are as follows:
Motherboard: Asus B450-I
PSU: Corsair SF750
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
CPU Cooler: EK RGB 240mm Radiator
RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600
GPU: Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
Case: Formd T1 w/ Riser cable

I've had this system for almost a year and have had no problems at all (I transplanted to a new case and replaced the graphics card in that time). Now, I cannot get it to display any output. I tried different cables, different monitors, another graphics card (an old Matrix 980GTX) and nothing works. I also tried removing the ram and don't get any POST beeps.

I also tried clearing the CMOS, though I can't access the battery to remove it, since the wire is wedged under the ethernet port and is inaccessible. I had flashed to the latest Bios when I got the motherboard about a year ago, and I have had it running the ram at XMP stably at 3600. I also slightly undervolted the 3080.

The behavior when I try to use the computer is as follows:
  1. LEDs all turn on normally when I plug in
  2. When I press the power button, fans turn on as normal. The first couple times I turned it on after returning to town, it made a weird creaky noise, but I think that might be the radiator fluid spinning up after several days off.
  3. Corsair SF750 fan spins briefly and then shuts off. This is normal behavior since the power supply does not spin up its fan unless under heavy load
  4. No display signal is detected by any monitor
  5. When I try to turn off the computer by holding down the power switch, it does not turn off (indicating a potential motherboard issue?). The only way to turn it off is via unplugging / turning off the power supply switch.
Does anyone have any idea what to do? I'm connected to a power surge protector too. I suspect the motherboard might have died (or maybe the PSU) but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea. It's weird that everything turns on normally.

Solution
The CLR CMOS jumper appears to be as your second photograph indicates: Blue circled 12 on the Motherboard layout via Pages 1-2, 1-3, and 1-8.

I am not so sure about the white battery disconnect in the other photograph. Just a bit too blurred for me to be sure. However you can do some online searches using the motherboard model with additional search criteria "CMOS battery replace image" to verify that that is the correct connector along with some guidance with respect to the actual battery removal and replacement.

From my viewpoint I cannot dismiss the problem being either motherboard or PSU.

How old is the PSU? Heavy gaming use?

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it or know someone who does you can do some...

Ralston18

Titan
Reactions: Phoenixfire72
Jul 25, 2021
This:

"I also tried clearing the CMOS, though I can't access the battery to remove it, since the wire is wedged under the ethernet port and is inaccessible. "

Are you able to take a couple of photographs and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com)?

This motheboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...G/E14337_ROG_STRIX_B450-I_GAMING_UM_PRINT.pdf

Take a closer, careful look,

FYI (from this Forum):

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/battery-on-aorus-b450-i-pro-wifi.3457776/

That is the motherboard, yes. I checked that thread earlier, and I am having difficulty accessing the battery. I'm going to remove it from the case and try again. Here are some pictures: View: https://imgur.com/a/X6Qpzri
of 1: where the CMOS battery connection is, and 2: where the CLR CMOS jumper is according to the manual. Do you think this is a motherboard or PSU issue btw? It's weird that this randomly happened.

Ralston18

Titan
The CLR CMOS jumper appears to be as your second photograph indicates: Blue circled 12 on the Motherboard layout via Pages 1-2, 1-3, and 1-8.

I am not so sure about the white battery disconnect in the other photograph. Just a bit too blurred for me to be sure. However you can do some online searches using the motherboard model with additional search criteria "CMOS battery replace image" to verify that that is the correct connector along with some guidance with respect to the actual battery removal and replacement.

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it or know someone who does you can do some limited testing on the PSU.

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance would make the PSU suspect.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Solution
Jul 25, 2021

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it or know someone who does you can do some limited testing on the PSU.

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance would make the PSU suspect.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

I was able to disconnect the Mobo battery actually after dismantling the whole thing, cleared CMOS again, and I have the same result (No display output). I also tried reseating and cleaning the processor. Still, no display output.

The PSU is a pretty new SF 750 -- not under heavy gaming use at all. I play mostly league of legends, and it's under 1 year old.

Jul 25, 2021
I was able to disconnect the Mobo battery actually after dismantling the whole thing, cleared CMOS again, and I have the same result (No display output). I also tried reseating and cleaning the processor. Still, no display output.

The PSU is a pretty new SF 750 -- not under heavy gaming use at all. I play mostly league of legends, and it's under 1 year old.
One more thing that could help: the system does not emit any POST codes / beeps if I start it without RAM. Another clue might be that the system does not turn off when I hold the power button. However, all the fans / lights come on like normal. The only way to turn it off is by using the PSU switch. Could this be a clue that it's a Mobo issue? The mobo is also < 1 year old.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Update History to determine if there has been some update related problem.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

My general thought being that a power outage or some other event may have caused file corruption.

Jul 25, 2021
Look in Update History to determine if there has been some update related problem.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

My general thought being that a power outage or some other event may have caused file corruption.
I don't seem to be able to Boot to Bios at all (or get a display output, so I'm not able to get to the troubleshooting screen.

Ralston18

Titan
Try booting into Safe Mode.

Double check all connections again. Ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

OFF - via PSU switch ? Are you saying that you cannot shutdown the computer via the normal Windows shutdown menu option/icon?

Remember that PSU's provide power at three different voltages. (3, 5, 12) to varying components. If the PSU is unable to provide the proper voltage to any component then the system will not fully or properly function.

Physically turning the computer off via power switches does not allow Windows the time to do the necessary housekeeping and preparation for the next boot. Also likely to corrupt files as well.

I am leaning towards a PSU problem. Do you have a multimeter and now how to use it? Or know someone who does?

The PSU is not under load so the test is not comprehensive overall. However, any voltages out of tolerance would indicate a failing/faltering PSU.

Do you have another known working PSU to swap in? Note: Do not mix and match PSU cables from other PSUs.