System with more than 4 GB RAM

mrmez

Splendid
general desktops that can have more than 4 GB of RAM

WHS^^^

And what u u mean by 'can'?
U 'can' put 4x2Gb sticks in giving u 8Gb. Vista/XP however will only use/reciognise ~3. (as far as i know)
U will need a 64bit OS to address more ram.

So the short answer is yes. Just ask them for 4Gb+ when u buy ur next sys.

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
If the motherboard has more than two memory slots, and those slots can support a 2GB stick each, then i would say yes you can have more than 4GB RAM. However, the operating system could be a problem. If you running a 32bit OS, then you will only be able to see +- 3GB RAM. If you run a 64bit OS (XP 64bit edition, Vista 64bit, etc) you can use up to 16GB RAM.

Azurus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
If the motherboard has more than two memory slots, and those slots can support a 2GB stick each, then i would say yes you can have more than 4GB RAM. However, the operating system could be a problem. If you running a 32bit OS, then you will only be able to see +- 3GB RAM. If you run a 64bit OS (XP 64bit edition, Vista 64bit, etc) you can use up to 16GB RAM.

Does XPpro 64-bit support 16GB of RAM?!
So far I know XP in general supports only 3GB

Can someone tell me if general desktops that can have more than 4 GB of RAM will be available soon?

Available soon? :), at least not standard until begin 2009.
I'f you buy good memory now with 4GB in mind you'd lose a lot of money for applications wich won't need a Virtual Page of 6GB :)
(at least none i can think of)

If you're planning on upgrading your computer in the future,
don't buy any computer you don't know where it's made out of.
Especially upgrading memory modules on computers you could buy at supermarkets! ;)

worthnew

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
What I mean by "can":
CPU that supports 64 bits - check (dual cores AMD or Intel)
O/S that supports 64 bits - check (MS O/S and Linux both have 64 bits versions)
Motherboard that supports 64 bits???
Chipset that supports 64 bits???

What I mean by general desktop:
I don't want to pay the premium for "server systems". So whatever is not considered server would be "general desktop" to me.

More generally, I use my desktop for the usual general purpose stuff. Some business use (software development, office apps, very high res - meaning large size - photo handling), some personal use, some game. I like my system to be strong enough to last around 5 years. So I tend to get a fairly high power system, then add more RAM along the way. That way it'll be good enough to still be usable in 5 years. My current system is now 5 years old. It's pretty slow now, but still mostly serviceable. Looking ahead 5 years, I can see that RAM requirements will probably exceed 4 GB in fairly short order. So I'm wondering to upgrade now, or wait until I can get a system that will handle more than 4 GB for future upgrades.

Azurus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
What I mean by "can":
CPU that supports 64 bits - check (dual cores AMD or Intel)
O/S that supports 64 bits - check (MS O/S and Linux both have 64 bits versions)
Motherboard that supports 64 bits???
Chipset that supports 64 bits???

What I mean by general desktop:
I don't want to pay the premium for "server systems". So whatever is not considered server would be "general desktop" to me.

More generally, I use my desktop for the usual general purpose stuff. Some business use (software development, office apps, very high res - meaning large size - photo handling), some personal use, some game. I like my system to be strong enough to last around 5 years. So I tend to get a fairly high power system, then add more RAM along the way. That way it'll be good enough to still be usable in 5 years. My current system is now 5 years old. It's pretty slow now, but still mostly serviceable. Looking ahead 5 years, I can see that RAM requirements will probably exceed 4 GB in fairly short order. So I'm wondering to upgrade now, or wait until I can get a system that will handle more than 4 GB for future upgrades.

Look, all options are open.
Most of the standard motherboards already supports 8GB memory.
So there is no worry there. (don't know about dell, IBM, Packard Bell pre-build computers though, you should ask the guy selling it)

Buying 2GB now and adding another 2 in the future will cost you more money. I don't know if money is a concern, but i would buy 4GB now and run XP pro 64 bit on it. (it supports enough memory)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/8/6/B868C664-13FC-4F91-9651-5B6D4F1A2F60/Is_Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

In the near future no application will need the full 4GB, but I don't know if you'll need more in say 2 years. You don't need a standard computer if it needs to do what you say it does ;). Sounds to me you need a high end rig if you wan't it to last for 5 years.

You need to know aswell that in say 2 Years DDR2 memory modules will be replaced with DDR3, and if there's not an overstock of DDR2 somewhere, you're gonna pay a lot to get em. They need to be iddentical to the ones you already have if you don't wan't any trouble later ;).

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Does XPpro 64-bit support 16GB of RAM?!
So far I know XP in general supports only 3GB

Yes... XP in general is a 32 bit OS hence the 4 GB memory space limit. Memory space is reduced by other items besides RAM hence the +- 3GB limit.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Most Current Intel MBs support 8gb.
Many Current AMD boards support 16gb.

There are no premiums for these boards, they are run of the mill boards.

You will need a 64-bit OS such as Vista to make use of this memory.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Most Current Intel MBs support 8gb.
Many Current AMD boards support 16gb.

There are no premiums for these boards, they are run of the mill boards.

You will need a 64-bit OS such as Vista to make use of this memory.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
Can someone tell me if general desktops that can have more than 4 GB of RAM will be available soon?
The short answer is yes, many MoBos can support 4GB and more. As others have pointed out, if you get the bargain-basement MoBo, it may only be able to support a couple of 512MB dimms.

Generally, any of the newer MoBos will support at least 4GB, full 32-bit addressing. I assume you are asking about usable ram, then it becomes an OS issue as being able to use more than ~3.12 GB ram requires (just sticking to Windows solutions) XP 64 or Vista 64. Here is a good KB article about Windows 32-bit restirctions and also discusses specific chip-sets to be looking for...

reported system memory is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

I use Vista 64 because I currently have 4GB installed and will soon have 8GB installed (REALLY cheap memory - get it while it last!)... because I actually have a reason to have more memory (before anyone screams, its not a single app, it just saves me a lot of frustration to have a couple of BIG memory apps running at the same time). My current system supports 8GB ram but I'll probably ever only be able to see ~7.5GB.

If you are wanting a system that can really grow and basically not be obsolete in a couple of monts, at least wait until the bearlake series of MoBos hit the market (IMO best to see what Intel's x38 reference system looks like) then pick from those. I expect to see 32Gig supported in 4 ddr3 memory slots as a normal system. FYI, 64-bit Vista Ultimate is supposed to support more than 128GB of ram (keyword: 'more').