[SOLVED] System With No HDDs

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I was going to do a build with no HDDs to cut down even more on noise, but....

1. is that going overboard when I will have the r6 case so less noise anyway?
  2. I think someone said I can set something in BIOS to where a HDD won't spin when it's not in use for x amount of time? What if I want to add in HDDs only for use down the line and don't even want them running at all for a while?

I bought 2 nvme ssds. Only totaling 1.5TB, but I don't download games or anything like that, so really that is a decent amount for me for a while, BUT I'm sure I'll end up wishing I had more space later on. I thought about just having an external HDD (along with my external ssds) and still not using any internal HDD.

ps I know I could just keep the HDDs, but not installed, and install when needed, BUT I don't like adding parts after electricity has been flowing through. I know everyone says it's not risky, but it kind of worries me that it could be.

Solution
  2. I think someone said I can set something in BIOS to where a HDD won't spin when it's not in use for x amount of time? What if I want to add in HDDs only for use down the line and don't even want them running at all for a while?
If you have Windows you can change the settings in the Power Plan settings. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-custom-power-plans-windows-10#customize_power_plan

I have set it so that the hard drives turn off after 5 minutes. I'm enjoying almost complete silence now. :) The only downside is that it takes a little longer to get to the files on the hard drives now, since they have to spin up. But it's alright.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Hard drives are very quiet nowadays. Almost inaudible over other components.
Blah. I have overthought this build so much it is stressing me. I guess I still don't regret getting 2 ssds even if I use hdds as well, though, because I can then very quickly move big files between them and then use the hdds only as archiving when needed and when not needing it to be fast.

Or I could just sell the hdds to get a bit of money back towards my build (very little lol), but at some pont 1.5TB won't be enough. I THINK external would be good enough in that case, though.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Id wait for the time being. Prices are only going to get better (most likely), so in the future when you need the storage you can add in a larger drive instead of replacing a drive.
true, but I am always nervous about the idea of switching out parts after a pc has been used die to electricity having flown through it. I know people say to get seriously hurt you'd have to about take apart a psu and mess around inside it, but I am still nervous that somehow I'd get hurt.

If not for that, the entire process of this would be so much easier because I could wait on a lot of it...

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
SSD only system:
See specs below.

But current hard drives aren't noisy.
One good side of SSD only is you know nay time you transfer between any of your drives you won't be dealing with the slower HDDs. I don't know, I had already gotten good deal on a couple HDDs before deciding not to sue HDDs, so I may still put them in. Or maybe just put one in and sell the other.

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
If you have Windows you can change the settings in the Power Plan settings. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-custom-power-plans-windows-10#customize_power_plan

I have set it so that the hard drives turn off after 5 minutes. I'm enjoying almost complete silence now. :) The only downside is that it takes a little longer to get to the files on the hard drives now, since they have to spin up. But it's alright.

Solution

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I'm about to the point of being depressed over this build. I didn't even realize how much I have been spending over time. I kept buying parts for 2 years, selling ones off, etc... without building anything and I have somehow spent over $2,000! I'd NEVER spend that on a pc. It's rare that I'd even use it for much and I have gone so overboard getting good parts that I've just thrown away a ton of money. I was prepared to spend maybe $1300 or even $1400, but I have somehow spent even well above that without realizing it.

Not much I can do now, though. I could sell the 3900x, return the meg ace, etc... but then I'll lose more money after fees on that cpu and still be out "almost" $2,000. lol.

I was going to do a build with no HDDs to cut down even more on noise, but....

I bought 2 nvme ssds. Only totaling 1.5TB, but I don't download games or anything like that, so really that is a decent amount for me for a while, BUT I'm sure I'll end up wishing I had more space later on. I thought about just having an external HDD (along with my external ssds) and still not using any internal HDD.

ps I know I could just keep the HDDs, but not installed, and install when needed, BUT I don't like adding parts after electricity has been flowing through. I know everyone says it's not risky, but it kind of worries me that it could be.

Most of HDD's hum at level lower than fans. If you bought all "Be quiet" hadrware, then HDD will be most audible component.

What you want is dev sleep and windows will wake your HDD just because it scans it for defrag or other OS files.
If you're fine with sleep MOST off the time (it will spin up each time you enter my computer for example):
https://superuser.com/questions/1105093/how-to-selectively-sleep-hard-drives-in-windows-10

I do that with external HDD, if you want you can use hotswap bay, then you can connect/disconnect with single finger.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
One of the many reasons why you design it and buy all the parts at once.
yes, if I ever build another I will have to do MUCH differently than this.

What happened is first I planned on using a 7700k, well then the newer products started coming out before I had bought all of my parts... I wanted an 8700 or 8700k. Then I thought well I am not a gamer, so maybe ryzen is what I should get. Bought the 2700x, but before I could get all of my parts figured out here comes the 3xxx ryzens. lol.

Also, part of the problem is I keep listening to people when they say "if you're spending this much, why not spend only $100 more for this better part?". Yeah, well I do that on EVERY part and then we get to this where I am out $2,000 instead of what would have been $1600 if I accepted a lower cpu, mobo, and case. I have a 3900x and msi 570 ace and r6 (here or ordered). Change that to 3700x, b450 pro carbon, and define c case and it's still good and would have saved me over $400!!!

Also I just HAD to have great ssds so got a 970 pro and an inland premium... I even got a $75 off deal on the pro, but still combined on those two it was $250+ more there, too! So just barely worse choices on some of these parts could have got me down around $1300.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
We all started somewhere.
But don't get into Analysis Paralysis. Overthinking each and every part, ad infinitum.

Design it, spend one week analyzing, buy it, build it.
Thanks for the advice. I mostly agree now, except one good thing about it is it turned out somehow my current pc has lasted these extra 2 years. lol. So I did get 2 extra years of use out of it by not replacing it right off. I thought it was about to die is why I started planning a build.

Also the build will be much better than I originally planned. BUT I am also out double the money, so....

I think originally I was going to get a bronze psu, some random sata ssd, 7700k, use only igpu, cheap mobo, cheap case. I for real would have been down around $1k, but obviously this build will blow it away. Now I feel like I have to make this build last many years to be worth it... In fact even if it lasted 10 years i'd still think I spent too much. lol.