Sep 2, 2024
First of all, as a complement to try and find a solution, here's my current setup:

Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming
Graphics Card: Aorus RTX 4060 TI Elite
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
Power Supply: Corsair HX1200i
Cooling: SuperFrame ISENGARD SMART 360mm Water Cooler
Case: SuperFrame Power Cube Gaming Case

Based on this, here’s my issue:

In my setup, I used an Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 normally, then I upgraded to an Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090, and it also worked perfectly, passing all stress tests, games, etc. However, I recently bought an Aorus RTX 4060 TI Elite to replace the RTX 3090, which was way more than I needed.
I tested it on two other computers, and it worked fine, with no defects that would justify returning it under warranty. However, on my setup, after installing the driver and rebooting, the computer's display freezes. This happens every time I turn it on (I noticed that after being unplugged for a few hours, the computer starts normally, but after the first reboot, it won’t start again). Sometimes it freezes just before the Windows spinning circle finishes, sometimes it freezes at the login screen, among other stages, but it never reaches the desktop. Windows itself is fine because when I connect the DisplayPort cable to the onboard graphics, the computer boots normally. When I connect the RTX 3090, it also boots without any issues.

An important detail is that if I uninstall the NVIDIA drivers, the computer works fine with the generic Windows driver. If I install the NVIDIA drivers, everything works fine as well. I performed stress tests, benchmarks, and gaming tests, and the card performed perfectly, with high performance and low temperatures. The issue arises after the first reboot when the display no longer shows anything, and I can only access the computer via safe mode, where the generic drivers are loaded.

As far as I can tell, the computer doesn’t freeze. I can hear sounds when I execute some commands or plug/unplug a USB drive. The issue is that the display freezes, and I can’t use it.

After all these exhaustive tests and much research, I gave up trying to solve the problem on my own and decided to seek help in forums.

Tests already performed:
1. In my installed Windows 11, I disabled all startup programs and deactivated all non-Microsoft services (Clean Boot).
2. I tested with the 3 PCI cables from the power supply, which were previously all connected to the RTX 3090, but now I only need one for the RTX 4060 TI.
3. I tested with an HDMI cable instead of DisplayPort.
4. I used another SSD, installed Windows 10 and 11, without connecting to the internet, and tried installing the last 3 NVIDIA drivers and the latest available from February 2024.
5. I tested with another monitor via HDMI and later with both monitors connected (DisplayPort + HDMI).
6. I tested my 4 RAM sticks one by one in each available slot on the motherboard, and later tested with another RAM stick of a different brand/model.
7. I switched between Auto, Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3 options in the BIOS.
8. I tested the graphics card on other computers, and it worked normally.
9. I disabled fast boot in BIOS (version 3001).
10. I reset the BIOS. Rolled back to version 2801 and tested. Then updated back to version 3001 and tested again.
11. I tested different RAM frequencies, XMP I, XMP II profiles, Manual, and Auto settings.
12. The Intel ME version of the motherboard is the latest, 14.1.72.2287, as verified in the BIOS.
13. I tested different power profiles (Balanced, Power Saver, and High Performance).
14. I disabled and enabled Secure Boot.
15. I adjusted virtual memory both automatically and manually.
16. I tested the GPU in both PCIe slots.
17. All system temperatures are at good levels.

on which position is the switch on the GPU? try altering it to the left or right. Sometimes its i the middle, or not completely switched to the correct position

Any 3rd party tools from gigabyte or asus installed? uninstall

How did you reset the BIOS? jumper is recommended
replace the CMOS battery

How did you connect the power to the GPU? any adapters?
still completely plugged into the PSU side?
try a different PSU

TRENDING THREADS