Question System with used GTX 980 (5 years old) starting to have black screens ?

Sulfurous

Honorable
Jun 8, 2015
Hi,

My system has recently started to generate black screens that leads to reboots. When the screens go shut down the message shown on both is "No signal detected" when they are connected to the Asus GTX980. Out of curiosity I connected 1 screen to the GPU and the other to the motherboard then the system rebooted but only the screen connected to the motherboard is detected and working. I have tried to update the drivers to 461.09 without any difference then I rolled back to 457.30 and still get the same problems. This GPU has never been overclocked and is thus running stock frequencies. I have never had problems with it and I'm very satisfied with its performance until now.

I looked in the Event Viewer and the closest things I recognize that maybe linked to this problem says:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
"Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0"
"The previous system shutdown at 2:58:31 PM on ‎2021-‎01-‎08 was unexpected."
All these messages were posted within 10 seconds.

I have ran the benchmarks 'Heaven" and 3DMark. Heaven ran without problems. The 1st test with 3DMark caused the screens to go black and reboot the system. The 2nd test ran perfectly. I had changed the drivers between tests and thought that the problems was solved. This problem happens whether I am playing FallOut 4, browsing the internet or watching Twitch. I do not recognize a pattern when the crashes happen.

I looked at the power connectors lights to the GPU and both of them are white.

Everything was fine until a few weeks ago. I thought the drivers might be the problem but rolling them back changed nothing.

My system is:

Asus ROG STRIX Z490-A GAMING
Intel I7-10700K with AI overclock settings (motherboard auto settings)
Asus Strix GTX 980 never been overclocked
Corsair RMx Series RM850x 80+ Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply, 850W, White
ADATA SX8200PNP 1 TB
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series
WD My Passport 0820 USB Device
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 1TB
SAMSUNG MZHPV256HDGL-00000
Windows 10 64-bit
BenQ 27 inch and Viewsonic 27 inch screens.

Thanks for your time

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS