Question System won’t boot with 4+4 plugged in ?

Sep 11, 2021
I was playing some games with a buddy when as soon as I shut the game down and was about to shut the server down, my computer just shut off. Tried to restart it, and it wouldn’t do anything. Opened it up. Unplugged both peripherals and 4+4, boots to bios. Plugged both peripherals back in, boots to windows. Plugged just 4+4 in and the fans shake for a split second, and nothing happens. Would this be a bad PSU or bad cable?

Specs:
CPU: i7-7700k
Ram: 24 gb
MB: asus prime z720-a
GPU: GeForce gtx 970

edit: so I unplugged the other side of the 4+4 leading to my GPU and it started up. Could this be a short in my GPU or is my GPU just dead. Have had it for around 6 years I believe.

Last edited:
I was playing some games with a buddy when as soon as I shut the game down and was about to shut the server down, my computer just shut off. Tried to restart it, and it wouldn’t do anything. Opened it up. Unplugged both peripherals and 4+4, boots to bios. Plugged both peripherals back in, boots to windows. Plugged just 4+4 in and the fans shake for a split second, and nothing happens. Would this be a bad PSU or bad cable?

Specs:
CPU: i7-7700k
Ram: 24 gb
MB: asus prime z720-a
GPU: GeForce gtx 970

edit: so I unplugged the other side of the 4+4 leading to my GPU and it started up. Could this be a short in my GPU or is my GPU just dead. Have had it for around 6 years I believe.
List the Brand and model of your power supply.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say 4+4 pin into the GPU? 4+4 is CPU only and although it will fit in a GPU, it will be upside down from how it's suppose to be plugged into the CPU power socket. The same is possible with the 6+2 pin GPU only PCIe power cables.

Make sure you didn't accidentally plug CPU or GPU power into the wrong device. It's possible you already destroyed something if you plugged in the wrong cable after unplugging everything.