System won’t post, not a single clue why, please help.

Pakadermia

Reputable
May 2, 2017
This system has been working perfectly for about 2 years now, I keep it updated and maintain very good care of it. Last night it shut off perfectly normally and when I went to turn it on today, it posted but froze on the post screen.

I restart the system and it doesn’t post this time. I turn the system off for a good minute and try again, no post. It’s an x99 board with the bios flash feature so I hit that button, wait and try again, no post. I take the system out, open it and watch it turn on to see what the post code was cycling on, from the moment it turns on, it stays on 00 and does not change. I reseated the memory, no post. I tried one stick at a time putting them even in different channels and still nothing. I physically took the cmos battery out for about 20 minutes with everything unplugged and cycled the power, still no post. Took my top gpu out and replaced it with the gpu beneath, still nothing. (I didn’t expect this to do anything but I was getting desperate)

At this point I started to worry that the liquid metal I was using as a tim for my cpu leaked out and was shorting the board. (I’ve been using the metal for over a year with no problems) I took the cpu out and separated it from the cooler. No liquid metal leaked onto the outside of the ihs or the surrounding board. I looked and I mean I really looked for even the smallest amount of metal leakage and I saw nothing. I even speculated that a drip of the metal could have come off and fallen under the south bridge’s heatsink. I looked and saw nothing.

Before putting the cpu back in, I cleaned off all the liquid metal and just went back to arctic silver. Before inserting, I checked the cpu and the socket for anything out of the ordinary and everything apeared normal. I took out and reinserted the 8pin for the cpu and everything that connected to the cpu like the cpu fan. Still no post and the post code is stuck on 00.

I’m about to take the whole thing apart and rebuild it to do a full check of everything but any suggestions are extremely appreciated. Again, no problems have occurred until now and nothing was out of the ordinary from its last shut down. Thanks for replies.

Solution
4.4ghz is >20% over max boost of 3.6ghz. Yes - it's pretty significant.
If I had to guess - I'd suspect cpu power delivery on motherboard.

Also running 2x overclocked GTX 1080 on 750W psu - that's extremely close to max load of the PSU.

Pakadermia

Reputable
May 2, 2017

X99A motherboard
5820k cpu
Corsair LPX 3000 2x8 memory
2x gtx 1080s
Os is on a 960 evo.

Cpu was at 4.375ghz stable at bclk 125, multiplier 35, 1.25v

Gpus both stable at 200mhz offset,

Ram was not stable at 3000mhz 15-17-17-35 so I put it at 16-18-18-36 or something more generious, ram was stable as well.

Pakadermia

Reputable
May 2, 2017

It’s a Corsair TX750M

I wasn’t aware that sub 4.4 on a 5820k was considered pretty significant especially considering it never goes over 70c and was running at less than 1.3v furthermore even if I was pushing it, 2 years of operation sounds pretty insane in terms of degradation, but I wouldn’t know. I don’t want to spend money on a new part if not absolutely necessary, how sure are you that it’s actually gone because I’m skeptical that it would just stop functioning overnight but again, I wouldn’t know

TRENDING THREADS