Question System wont boot about every month unless I format & install windows (I've tried 2 new HDDs)

Jul 29, 2021
I've had this problem for a few months. My system is older, 7 years and at first I thought it was the old HDD. I did a full wipe, it worked for a month or two, then same issue computer wouldnt boot. I buy a new HDD, after about a month a different error pops up, full wipe and a month after that starting to act weird, so I decided to send it back and try a different brand of HDD, about a month into this one and computer wont boot.

I can get into bios, the last boot was really slow, got to desktop but couldnt hit start menu, only a couple icons loaded, and had to do a hard reset. It did do a repair on boot, after an hour of black screen spinning circle, reset from there and it takes me blue screen troubleshooting where I select keyboard and try to troubleshoot, but none of those options work.

So it seems the HDD is not the issue. But it seems weird that it will boot fine and run good for about a month and then something comes up again that requires a wipe, new install of windows to run. Is it just time to build a new system?

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I've had this problem for a few months. My system is older, 7 years and at first I thought it was the old HDD. I did a full wipe, it worked for a month or two, then same issue computer wouldnt boot. I buy a new HDD, after about a month a different error pops up, full wipe and a month after that starting to act weird, so I decided to send it back and try a different brand of HDD, about a month into this one and computer wont boot.

I can get into bios, the last boot was really slow, got to desktop but couldnt hit start menu, only a couple icons loaded, and had to do a hard reset. It did do a repair on boot, after an hour of black screen spinning circle, reset from there and it takes me blue screen troubleshooting where I select keyboard and try to troubleshoot, but none of those options work.

So it seems the HDD is not the issue. But it seems weird that it will boot fine and run good for about a month and then something comes up again that requires a wipe, new install of windows to run. Is it just time to build a new system?
could you post your full pc specs?

Ran the test and no issues, every test passed with no errors
Replace the sata data cable but use a different port on the mobo....test.

Try a different sata power plug on the cable....test.

Try a different sata power cable....test.

Replace the bios bat and enter the bios.
Adjust whatever settings are needed....test.

See if you can reload windows.
If so run a pass of crystal disk info and post a screen shot.

Reactions: ACardAttack
Jul 29, 2021
Replace the sata data cable but use a different port on the mobo....test.

Try a different sata power plug on the cable....test.

Try a different sata power cable....test.

Replace the bios bat and enter the bios.
Adjust whatever settings are needed....test.

See if you can reload windows.
If so run a pass of crystal disk info and post a screen shot.

I used different sata cable for both power and motherboard and used different ports

I have replaced the bios bat the last time this happened with my older HDD

I reformatted the HDD, ran Crystal disk and here is the screen shot

View: https://imgur.com/a/BAvNir9

So I formatted HDD, install windows no problem and this will be fine for about a month until I get the blue screen saying I need to select keyboard language and then takes me to repair options which none of work

I used different sata cable for both power and motherboard and used different ports

I have replaced the bios bat the last time this happened with my older HDD

I reformatted the HDD, ran Crystal disk and here is the screen shot

View: https://imgur.com/a/BAvNir9

So I formatted HDD, install windows no problem and this will be fine for about a month until I get the blue screen saying I need to select keyboard language and then takes me to repair options which none of work
Well CDI does not show a problem.
Check your bios and chipset driver against the mobo site.
If it happens again change the sata mode in the bios before reloading
windows.

Jul 29, 2021
Well CDI does not show a problem.
Check your bios and chipset driver against the mobo site.
If it happens again change the sata mode in the bios before reloading
windows.

Things have been working fine for almost a month, did everything you said, can get to windows, boots, but I keep getting a random reboot and a message from the mother board about a surge twice in a row, and my wife said it happened yesterday, so more than a coincidence.

Its plugged into a surge protector, so power supply likely going bad? Could that have been what was causing issues before?

Things have been working fine for almost a month, did everything you said, can get to windows, boots, but I keep getting a random reboot and a message from the mother board about a surge twice in a row, and my wife said it happened yesterday, so more than a coincidence.

Its plugged into a surge protector, so power supply likely going bad? Could that have been what was causing issues before?
If the psu is going wonky you can get all sorts of strange stuff to happen.

Get a can of air and a small brush give the innards a good cleaning don't forget the psu a few shots of air from both directions or get a new psu and test.

Last edited: